Search

Tanzania and gorillas???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania and gorillas???

I have been looking at photos from someone's recent gorilla trek and now I MUST see them in person! Is there any safari that covers the Tanzania highlights and has a gorilla trek?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM

jojo,

I went with a company called kiliwarriors. www.kiliwarriors.com They have safaris on their website which combine Tanzania with Rwanda Gorilla trekking. Here are the pictures of my visit to both places.

http://picasaweb.google.com/davgai

I was really happy with kiliwarriors.

David G
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM

Tanzania and gorillas would work with either Uganda or Rwanda. My preference for ease of travel and slightly better viewing conditions is Rwanda, if all you want is gorillas. But Uganda has great chimp viewing, the Kazinga Channel, Murchison Falls, etc. in addition to gorillas.

You would probably have a different ground operator for each country, but the agent can arrange both.

I'm investigating a Kenya & Rwanda combo right now so this is all fresh in my mind.

More companies do Tanzania & Uganda than do Tanzania & Rwanda.

For Tanz & Uganda
Good Earth (Tampa & Tanzania).
Premier Tours (Philadelphia)
Ultimate Africa (Wash state)
Go2Africa (South Africa)
Africa Travel Resource (London)

Kilwarriors (Tanzania & Virginia) does Tanz & Rwanda, but I dont' know about Uganda. Their website has the best itineraries for each month in Tanzania, then you could add gorillas.

Don't recall your month of travel, but for TZ & gorillas, I'd suggest June or July.

For Tanz & either Uganda or Rwanda, you could try

The Africa Adventure (Ft. Lauderdale)
Go2Afrika (NYC)

Or you could arrange the two countries separately. There was a recent report of someone using Green Footprint in TZ, and another company in Rwanda. Roy's is a very reliable TZ ground operator, and you could see if Roy's teamed with a gorilla company.

Companies that do gorillas in Uganda/Rwanda include:

R & N Explorer
Primate Safaris
Great Lakes
Volcanoes Safaris
Travelust
Amahora

I'll be deciding on whether to mix and match or use one company for all. In the past I used The Africa Adventure Co for gorillas (both Uganda & Rwanda) and East Africa. On one trip shortly before my departure with 3 friends, there were problems in Uganda that meant Bwindi might be closed temporarily and we would not get to see the gorillas. They switched our itinerary so we went to Tanzania instead of Uganda and we did not have to pay the cost of the unused gorilla permits or pay for international airline changes. So that was good.

Finally, group adventure travel and nature travel companies have trips.

Wilderness Travel in California
Natural Habitat in Colorado
Mountain Sobek (forget where they are)

You mentioned <b>a</b> gorilla trek. If you possible can afford the hefty cost (I think it's up to $500 now) of two of them, I'd do it. For all the $ and effort to get to the gorillas, for the ability to compare and contast your two gorilla visits, to minimize the very slight risk of some problem on a single visit that detracts from the viewing, and because for some of us it really takes 2+ visits for the experience to sink in, I think two permits are worth it.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:19 AM
pippa13

wild frontiers covers all of it and certainly combos.
just give it a try:

www.wildfrontiers.co.za

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM

I used two different companies: CCAfrica in Tanzania and Volcano Safari in Rwanda and that worked great. The transition from one company to another was seamless.