Botswana or Tanzania?

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botswana or Tanzania?

My husband and I are looking to go on safari. We'd like to go for 10 days, and would like to spend about $3000-$4000 each. A mix of nicer lodges and camping would be perfect.

Should we look at Botswana? or Tanzania?

What does Botswana have that Tanzania doesn't?

What does Tanzania have that Botswana doesn't?

Please also recommend a safari outfitter.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I would suggest Desert and Delta Safaris they have various camps in the Okavango Delta, Chobe and Zambia ( Zambezi River. Sekoma Isalnd Lodge is very affordable and is within reach of the Chobe River and National Park. They have beautiful lodge on the Chobe River I am sure that might be in your price bracket.. Contact [email protected] www.sekoma.co.za
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Add one more fact: what month do you wish to travel? Then you can get better answers.

Either would provide you with a superb safari. I've been to both countries several times with returns hopefully in the future to each location.

Mixing lodges and camping seems to be more common in Tanzania. Botswana tends to have more permanent luxury tented camps. Accommdations in either country are very comfortable.

What Tanzania has that Botswana does not:
-The wildebeest-zebra migration in the Serengeti, during particular months
-The Ngorongoro Crater, the greatest concentration of wildlife and a geologic spectacle
-Mahale for chimps
-Generally less costly and easier to have a private guide/vehicle. (Luxury mobile camping in Botswana greatly reduces the cost and is a good way to go there.)
-Better chance of seeing the Big 5 than Botswana, unless you book Mombo or Chief’s Camp on Chief’s island
-Zanzibar

What Botswana has that Tanzania does not:
-Okavango Delta and the birdlife and wildlife it supports that can be viewed by mokoro or boat.
-Fewer people than in Tanzania’s Northern circuit, which is the more common route. Botswana is more secluded and remote than many places in Tanzania (Tanzania’s Southern circuit of Mahale, Katavi, Ruaha, Selous is remote, however, with very few tourists.)
-Kahalari Desert
-Better chance for wild dogs, but they are seen in Ruaha & Selous
-walking safaris and are more common
-flying from camp to camp is more common and takes less time than driving

When you decide on East or Southern Africa, then you can look into an outfitter.

Please post again on this thread.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I think we're looking at October 2007 or May 2008. I know, both random times. Would either of these be better than the other. Thank you both for your replies.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM

This is a link of when the best wildlife viewing is, which corresponds with the highest rates.
http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

Botswana
As you can tell from the chart, May would be far better in Botswana than Tanzania. May also offers price breaks for Botswana with high season rates kicking in during June. October can be very hot in Botswana, but has great game viewing.

Some delta camps such as Little Vumbura (water activities and land) and Chitabe would be good, along with with Duma Tau in Linyanti or either Selinda Camp or Zibalianja in Selinda. I've been to all these except Selinda Camp and they are wonderful.

Many Fodorites are big fans of Kwando camps and I can't wait to try them: Kwara in the delta and Lagoon and Lebala in the Kwando concession.

An advantage of May would give you plenty of time to book. October would provide better game viewing in Botswana.

Here is a link to Botswana weather. Look at Maun.

http://www.uyaphi.com/afriweather.htm

Tanzania
The bulk of the migration is probably in the Maasai Mara in Kenya during October, rather than in Tanzania. But Northern Tanzania could see some action this time of year, depending on rains. See the illustration on this link.

http://www.ultimateafrica.com/Wildebeest_migration.html

This is a detailed written explanation of the migration
http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/na...serengeti.html

Even without the migration, the Serengeti is a great place and it combines well logistically with Tarangire and the Ngorongoro Crater, maybe Arusha.

Or you could hit the Southern circuit of Tanzania during October. A combination of any two: Mahale & Katavi or Ruaha & Selous would be ideal for game viewing this time of year.

Here is a weather link for Tanzania
http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun.../Tanzania.html

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:59 PM
santharamhari

Lynn has given you all the details you requested.

Just one thing.....for the budget you can easily do Botswana green season or like many people on these boards a good mobile safari any time of the year.

Good luck,
Hari