Search

Safari Trip Tanzania Log Part 1, Honeymoon 18th une-9th July 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari Trip Tanzania Log Part 1, Honeymoon 18th une-9th July 2006

Dear All,

I have had much help from many people on this site when deciding on my itinery. Sandi, Leely and Climbhighsleeplow have all been invaluable. Many thanks to everyone for helping me organise the most amazing trip.
Photos will follow.

June 18th - Left UK with Kenya Airways 8pm - new boeing 777

June 19th – Moivaro Coffee Lodge

Arrived Nairobi dn then flew on to Kili Airport - great views of Kili when landing as mentioned.
Driven to Miovaro lodge 45 from airport. Nice place pool, good for relaxing but not much going on
A good 25 mins from Arusha by taxi.

June 20th- Mawe Ninga Camp, Tarangire National Park

Drove to Tarangire Park staying at Mawe Ninga camp Via snake museum and Masai Cattle market. Camp full of elephants, birds, gazelles, dik-dik, a black mamba and other animals. Amazing views from the camp and a great open fire. Nice rooms - food okay

June 21st – Mawe Ninga Camp, Tarangire National Park

Early start at 5.30, off on a great day out picnic breakfast with little bits wrapped in tin foil. It’s a bit like Christmas, they even have Dairy Milk Cadburys bars and Del Monte juice. We had a great day out, picnic in the company of about 15 Elephants and generally took in the Awe and Splendor of Africa. Tsetse Fly were becoming a bit of a pain. I swear they are indestructible you had to him the m 10 times before they died. We saw lots of Ele’s, Giraffe, Gazelle , Dik-diks, eagles, Bustards and many other wonderful specimens. We retruned to camp at 6 pm rather tired and exhausted. Luckily the Masai guards had got hot water ready for us so we could jump in a hot refreshing shower.

June 22nd - – Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, Ngorongoro

Went on drive in the morning on the way to the Ngorongoro Highlands (stunning views looking down from luscious vegetation) and the on to the Crater. First view is stunning and it doesn't diminish. Staying at Crater Lodge, we had originally booked Tree camp the they swapped us to North Camp. Looked at both and choose North camp. If you can confirm a tree camp room with a good view take it. To be fair the whole place is sumptuous to say the least. The rooms are incredible with stunning views down into the crater and Cape Buffalo walking outside your room. Hand made truffles and fudge await you on your arrival. A decanter with Brandy next to your fireplace which it lit by your butler. The bathroom was a ladies dream. Freestanding bath already run with rose petals in. His and here basins and a huge open power shower. The toilet in its own room had three window looking down into the crater as well. Foods and drink were stunning. A Fusion of African, European and Asian food. A Masai warrior to take you to and from the main lodge for meals and pre-dinner drinks. On return from dinner the fire is lit and the electric blankets had been put on. At over 2000m above sea level it get pretty cold at night and in the morning.

June 23rd – Olakira Serengeti Camp

Early start at 5.30am- coffee and biscuits ready when we awake. Off down the Crater road as the sun rises. Few people then but lots of wildlife. Hyenas, wildebeests, Zebras, Buffalo, Giraffe, fish eagle and so on.
We had a sumptuous breakfast on grass by Hippo pool. Bacon, Eggs, Fruit, Cereal, Coffee and fresh mango juice. We carried on exploring and saw a pride of lions with their kill and with their cubs. After seeing other wildlife including …….. We came across three Rhino, certainly mother and child, either with Father or an adolescent we saw a mother and baby Rhino. What an amazing sight, they look like an armored car/tank. They were pretty fast on their feet because some silly people wanted to get closer look. When will people learn. Sadly I assume after the animals have gone. A short stop to watch more lions and cubs playing in the sun and we were off. Lunch as the Crater Lodge was a huge pleasure. Sadly rushed we still managed a few glasses of chilled Sauvignon Blanc and with our hearty healthy lunch. Watch out for their Pili-Pili tomato salsa, bit lively that one.
The drive back down through the Highlands was stunning. Each new Valley we came to had Masai villages and huts dotted around. Great grass for their livestock.
Serengeti National park was our next destination. and two night’s stay at Olakira camp, a luxury mobile camp. The roads were good and the wildlife plentiful and we arrived just before sunset and have a nice cool drink by the roaring fire. The camp is very open t the elements and I often wondered how the driver could spot the little lanes that led to the different camps, particularly those that were mobile.
Dinner was superb and of a very high quality, we had Talipia fish from Lake Victoria..
The only strange thing was that you had to get a guard to walk you back to the tent to visit the little boy’s room. One occasion I said to the guard ( who was nort armed), ‘what do we do if we come across a Lion.’ ‘No Problem’ he said ‘ We just put the torch down on the ground and walk away slowly’. Not the safest escape route ever, but no-one had ever been attacked .
After dinner a glass of wine and a chat around the camp fire tro discuss the days sightings.

June 24th – Olakira Serengeti Camp

Another early start 06:00 hrs start, but it meant we left camp before the sun went up. Early on our guide spotted a Leopard in a tree. For the next 45 we watched him/her play in the tree, nearly falling on occasions. Then go for a refreshing drink and a good clean. The calm was briefly broken when a hare wandered into the wrong part of town. The Leopard gave chase but was obviously not that hungry. A few over keen prats treid to chase the cat . Soon after this at the Seronera airstrip we came across a pair of Cheetahs, they were on the prowl and looking for food. The abundance of choice for them would make getting dinner easy, if somewhat tiring in the post lunch heat..
Soon after we spotted a golden eagle cleaning itself, a great sight to see. I have seen them in Europe, mainly France and Italy. They really are such magnificent birds of prey.
We spent a good hour near the camp in the field with the 2-3000 Zebra and Wildebeest. We were sure that the Lions were out there somewhere. But we didn’t see them but we felt we could feel them near.
It’s easy to forget home when you are out in the middle of nowhere. A phone call from Sophie’s mum reminded us of the reality of home. Information was swapped, stories of our sightings were given and assurances that we were safe and well were given and accepted. The less said about the roaming cats in/near the camp at night the better.
Sundowners by the fire, charging of batteries and more chit chat followed by a fine three course dinner with wine and anything else we wanted.
A truly great great camp that made you feel you were really ‘in the bush with the animals’, but also with plenty of comfort. I didn’t want to leave this place and I was wondering if I should have had an extra day here and one less in the Northern Serengeti.

I shall take abreak here and continue later, hopefully with some photos as well.

Take care all and do feel free to ask any questions.

Regards chris
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:50 AM
africnow

A great report - enticing! One wants to visit the same spots. Please do continue.

Looking forward to the photos.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Thanks for writing! We leave in seven weeks...
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Sounds great so far, thanks. Where was Olakira located during your stay?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Thanks for your report so far. Looking forward to more and your photos.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Chris,

Great report. And I must say, for the benefit of everyone, that you and your wife are a great-looking couple as well as very charming.

Looking forward to more.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM

What an excellent start, including rhinos in the Serengeti.

I find putting the torch down and backing away slowly works for many problems, not just lions.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Chris,
Thanks for starting your report. I’m looking forward to more.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM
bat

Chris:
Glad that you had such a great trip.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Hi Chris,

You really had an amazing trip !!

How much did the entire safari cost you ?

Who was your ATR guide and how was your experience with him?

Thanks

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

We had a guide called Semu. He was fantastic. When you arrive out there you think it will all be chaos but in fact it is very well organised. We met with ATR's main representative out there and she went through our itinery with a large map and gave us certain options. They were very helpful.
Our trip cost about us$10,500 plus flights from the uk and then about US$3000 spending and tips and a few extra nights in Zanzibar.
I will continue my report soon.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:30 AM

Please don't make us wait too long for the rest!
What a wonderful way to start a marriage.
Sherry