Trip Review - Rwanda Gorillas

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Review - Rwanda Gorillas

Continuing on from Nairobi, we went to Rwanda for 3 days for a Mountain Gorilla trek. Our trip was also arranged by Gamewatchers - who I again recommend you use.

All 7 of us arrived in Kigili, and were met by our 3 guides for the trip. We had a nice tour of the City, followed by a moving visit to the Genocide Memorial. We than had a very scenic 3 hour drive to the Mountain Gorillas Nest Hotel to check in. We took a tour around the area, and had a one hour drive to the Congo border at Goma for a short visit into Congo. This is the site where some 4 years ago, Mt. Nyiragongo erupted, taking out part of the City. Unlike the peace we had in both Kenya and Rwanda, Congo did have a very strong UN Peacekeeping force in the City.

Arriving back at Gorillas Nest, we had a nice dinner, and prepared for the next day. We were pretty excited, and didnt sleep the greatest that night, but were up early and eager to proceed. We arrived at the Ranger station with about 20 total people there. Our group of 7 were assigned to the Sabinyo group, and were told they were about an hour hike away. We drove to the starting point and walked about 30 minutes to the wall, and than the real hike started. It was not at all easy, and a few members of our group had some difficulty, but we went slow and steady up the mountain. True to their estimation, about an hour into our hike, we spotted our first Gorilla just below us. Our guides provided our packs for our cameras, and we were slowly led down to the Gorillas. Wow, what a moving experience to be within a few feet of these animals playing and feeding. We were within a few feet when a couple of the Gorillas decided to walk through us to get some food. They did move around some, but we were able to get some great shots, and just spend some quality time watching and enjoying the visit.

Here is a couple of short vids that I took off my digital camera. I warn you, the quality is not the greatest, so no insults, lol. http://richardfh.zippyvideos.com/gallery.z

The hour went by so quick, and all of a sudden it was time to go. By far, one of the best hours of my life, and I highly recommend it to anyone. The trip back was uneventful and much easier than the way up. We got back to the hotel where they had a little show for us as we came in with drinks, and had a nice relaxing afternoon.

The next day we made our way back to Kigali, where we had lunch at Hotel des Mille Collines, which the movie Hotel Rwanda was based on. After a nice lunch, we made our way back to the airport for our trip home.

If you get a chance, definitely go. It is well worth the money.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
africnow

Nice! Thanks.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM

"One of the best hours of my life" tells it all. Glad your encounter was such a good one.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM

wow, thanks for this report, I'll be doing the same thing in about 2 months, staying at Gorillas Nest & Hotel des Mille Collines. I'm looking forward to it even more now!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM

Richard,

I can not wait to go, thanks for sharing!

What time did you arrive in Kigili?

How long do you think the average visit to the Genocide Memorial takes?

For the folks in your group who struggled a bit on the trek why do you think that was?

Den
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Den,

We arrived in the morning in Kigali, something like 10 am. I think there is limited flights (one per day) between Nairobi and Kigali on Air Kenya.

We were at the Genocide Memorial for about 90 minutes. You could do the visit longer or shorter, just depends on you, and how much you can take. They have a lot of optional videos that are pretty sad and graphic.

For the folks who struggled somewhat, it was because they were out of shape. You are literally climbing up a wet mountain full of vegatation. We all wiped out several times. In fact, laughingly, my pants were all grass stained on my butt, and I just left them at the camp to give me more room in the bags. My advice is to go slow, take your time, and enjoy the view... it all ends too quickly. If you think you will have some difficulty, ask them to put you in a group that is going to the closer Gorillas, instead of the normally much longer hike to Susa group.

Have a great time, and let me know if you have any more questions.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Good morning Richard,

I will arrive in Kigili at 1:15 PM.

Sounds like I will have time to visit the memorial and still have a scenic drive to the Gorilla's Nest.

BTW-What are the weight limits for the flight? I have not been able to find this information.

Carry on allowance?

Checked allowance?

Thanks Richard,
Den
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Richard,

Very funny about the pants! I guess I better not wear my son's spiffy $200 snowboarding pants then-he'll not be too pleased if I ruined them. They are a tad tougher than my quick dry pants I will be wearing most of the time but still very thin and warm.

I was trying not to have to bring or wear long underwear for just one day. Did you have any trouble with nettles or cold?

Den
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Richard, Gamewatchers was able to put this together for you? I'm using them for a driving safari in Kenya, but they didn't have a Rwanda extension available yet...said they were working on it though (maybe you are the first?). They did put me in touch with some tour operators though---although we decided to arrange our own way in Rwanda. Did you drive with Gamewatchers in Kenya or do a flying safari?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Den,

Im not sure the weight restrictions going to Rwanda. We left most of our luggage with Gamewatchers in Nairobi, and only brought a large day bag to Rwanda.

As for the nettles, I did get stung a couple of times, but it was my own fault. It was quite warm, so I stuck to a short sleeved short and regular long pants. My arms got stung a little, but it really didnt bother me. Make sure you get a walking stick there, they are very helpful. I dont recommend needing long underwear as it was quite warm.

Lucia,

Yes we were on the fact finding mission for Gamewatchers. They can now arrange for Gorilla Treks through the company we used there. I did both in Kenya with Gamewatchers, we drove, and also booked a separate flying safari. Again, I highly recommend them.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:06 AM

One more question? Is their a suggested amount to tip the gorilla guide and porters? Or gift?

Thanks Richard
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I saw the Sabinyos back in October 05 and they were amazing. The Sabinyou sliverback, I believe he is called Guhundra, is the biggest anywhere in PNV. He is my cover picture on this site.
http://waynehazle.com/eastafrica/rwanda/

The rest of my gorilla pics are:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-tixpad

We lucked out because they Sabinyos had coem so close that it was about 15 minutes of walking. Even the local kids could sit on thier farms and see them.
Yes, definitely one of the greatest hours of my life.

Air Kenya has two daily flights from Nairobi to Kigali, a morning flight and an afternoon one.'

For anyone flying there, please pay STRICT attention to the weight limit issue. I am pretty sure it was 22kilos per person. We had already been in Kenya & Tanzania for 2 weeks, my wife and I each had 2 bags that weighed 22K each. We ended up each having to readjust our bags to take one each and to leave a bag with the tour company. We got those 10 days later when we came back.

They are also tough about hand carryons, 1 each I think. Though we did manage to cry our way through and get more than our allotment on
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Richardfh:

Was it cold in your room at the Gorilla's Nest? I had to get extra blankets.

I almost requested one of those little firepots, but then I was afraid of burning down the room or coking on the C02

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Den,

I think they like cash.. lol. We gave our porter $5 USD, and our 2 guides $10 each / person. There are a lot of kids there, so if you want to win some friends, bring a soccer ball if you can.

Wayne,

Yes it was a little cold at Gorillas Nest at night. I wasnt too bad after drinking about 6 beers, lol. They have a new manager there now, and we gave her a couple of suggestions to improve the place a little.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to say, nice pics Wayne. I should put mine on Kodakgallery for all to see.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM
bat

richard, thanks for posting.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Richard: Thanks for the tips info. I would love to see your photographs and what type of camera, lens for your Gorilla photos!

Lots of kids in Rwanda in general? Near the trekking area? How did you carry the soccer ball - deflated with a pump? Would a flat Arobie or whatever is cool nowadays work just as well?

Wayne: Your pictures are wonderful I had looked at them before and had downloaded and devoured your "Trip Newsletter" Very nicely done, it must have been the most amazing Christmas "what we did this past year" letter ever!

Weight: The weight sounds consistant the with Kenya Airways ala Precision and now Kenya Airways ala Rwanda Express. Patty says Precision is 20 kg and Kenya Airlines website say 20 kg so that is that, thanks. The daybag sounds like a great idea though.

Den
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Yes, please post your pics, Richard. I would love to see some from the Kenya portion of your trip too. Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Wayne, those photo's are magnificent. Do you recommend the Sabinyos group, i think I really want to see that Silverback, he's incredible.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Yes, Richard, please do post your photos. Nice report! Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -