Search

jhb airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhb airport

hi
Does anyone know if there are there any hotels in the actual JHB international airport?
where does one stay for an overnight before a very early morning flight?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:25 AM

InterContinental AIRPORT SUN JOHANNESBURG

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/en/hd/jnbhc
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:25 AM
santharamhari

I stayed at the airport intercontinental. It is not physically inside the terminal....but just outside, you just step out the door and u are there.

I also believe there is an airport holiday inn........

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:58 AM

The Intercontinental is a 5* so the most expensive option. See http://tinyurl.com/7btaq.

The Holiday Inn at the airport is one of those that has had a recent "rebranding". It is now called "Southern Sun Johannesburg International". It is visible from the terminal areas, but will need their shuttle I think. See http://tinyurl.com/7btaq.

If you want lower cost, take a look at the nearby City Lodge. A clean and comfortable "business-type" hotel, about 3* standard I think. (Which in S.A. is high.) They have a shuttle, at a low cost. See www.citylodge.co.za/cl4.htm.

If you want less expensive than that, there's even a "Formula 1" in the area, a bit further away and you'd need to catch a taxi to get there. But just R229 per room, for up to 3 people! See www.hotelformula1.co.za/.

If you are transferring Int. to Int., there isw a hotel within the terminal itself, the "Protea Hotel Transit". But not available for those transferring domestic. See http://tinyurl.com/c898e.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Perhaps I should have added that the S.A. Holiday Inns (including those rebranded under the Southern Sun banner) are of a pretty high standard, and not necessarily comparable with those in the U.S. I'm not saying I wouldn't stay in the latter, I have (albeit many years ago), I'm just trying to put it into perspective. Think 4*.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:48 AM

I've just come across this summary of hotels in the area (on the official Jo'burg website) while I was looking for something completely different, for myself:

www.joburg.org.za/tourists/accommodation.stm
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:11 AM

ArthurSA, thanks for the news on the rebranding of the Holiday Inn. I'm holding a reservation there for July 3 (on the overnight on my way from Durban to Upington). I called and the Sun will honor the reservation and the rate (they told me that they are putting through a rate increase this month). I didn't see any reason to pay 3x as much for the Intercontinental for a few hours sleep between flights.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I was very pleasantly surprised with the Holiday Inn Intl Airport. It was much, much nicer than I expected. I have stayed there a couple of times now. They have a nice bar and also an area with computers/internet that you can use for a small fee. Make sure you book your room in advance because at the end of my trip in 2004 I ended up at the Intercontinental (much higher price) because the H.I. was booked.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The HI/Sun also has free (or it was in Sept.) wireless coverage in the lounge/bar area.

The restaurant is very good, the bar snacks are fab, and in general the hotel is quite nice. The shuttle runs more or less constantly. We also left bags there for a few days when we went out to Botswana (stayed coming and going) and they were happy to store them. Judging from the number of bags in their storage room, that's a common thing.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

thank you all very much -= I am going to look into all of your suggestions todat
Cheers
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:54 PM

I enjoyed the Intercontinental Sun Airport hotel for the 1 night we were there. Convenient, very nice room, most comfortable bed I've ever slept on and the food in the restaurant was out of this world! After being in a plane for 23 hours, this was perfect.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 06:14 PM

On our first trip to Africa my wife and I walked over to the Intercontinental to meet someone who was going to keep some of our baggage while we traveled light for a while. We were still groggy from the flights and my wife went in the ladies room to freshen-up while I watched our bags. When she returned I used the men's room next door and when I emerged from a stall (no urinals, must be an african thing I thought) I found a woman brushing her hair. Needless to say she gave me a strange look. I exited quickly, and told my wife what had happened. Looking closely at the door, it became apparent that the symbol represented a woman. Well then, I asked my wife, what did you go in. Turned out she also thought african restroom were odd because there was a table in the women's room. Turned out she had used the baby changing room and I had used the women's room. Men's room was around the corner out of sight. We departed quickly. So I will always the Intercontinental as the place where our african adventure almost came to an early end with my arrest.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Just for the record, the Holiday Inn rebranding is not a change in ownership. So there should be no reason not to honour existing bookings and rates, although it is reassuring to get that confirmed, as Michael did. The Southern Sun Group has operated the Holiday Inn chain for over 20 years. I don't know if the imminent rare increase is a result of the rebranding. Perhaps more likely it is a "normal" inflation-related increase.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Some details on the Southern Sun rebranding, which also affects other hotels in their portfolio:

www.tbcsa.org.za/messages/142.html
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:41 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn/Sun in October - they had just changed the name, but we had no difficulty with our reservation.

The room was good, bathroom adaquate - but the bar area and restaurant were really comfortable and the food very good. The dining room staff was attentive and there was a large choice of salads, deserts and entres. We also had breakfast there the next morning and found an excellant breakfast buffet.

This was a good choice of hotel after the long, long flight from the US. We recommend it in spite of the price (next time we may try to get a discount - you need to do this when you reserve), and will most likely return there on another trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Is anyone familiar with this Inn?

http://www.airport-inn.co.za/

It's definitely inexpensive....which is what I am looking for after a 9 pm arrival at the airport and a morning departure back out of the airport