Search

CC Africa to open lodges in India

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CC Africa to open lodges in India

Hello,

Thought some of you might be interested to hear that CCA had joined forced with the Taj Hotel Group in India and plans are on track to open five lodges in India in October 2006. CCA are renovating three existing lodges (Baghvan Jungle Lodge in Pench, a lodge close to Corbett National Park, and Tala Kothi in Bandhavgarh) and building two new ones (in Panna near Khajuraho and at Kanha on the Banjar River). The Indian lodges will be run on the lines of their African eco-lodges (Londoz, Phinda, etc).

I've been contemplating a tiger safari for some time, but the quality (or rather lack thereof) of the guiding and wilderness experience at the lodges in India put me off -- they are very luxurious, but the emphasis is more on luxury than on the game-viewing experience. I'm looking forward to see what CCA does -- might be a nice complement to our Africa trips.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Julian -

After your post on Rocco's thread yesterday, I went and did some searches for CC Africa and tiger safaris. I didn't find the details you have... I did see the joint venture with Taj, but a couple of the articles I saw seemed to be saying that there would be two lodges open October this year (rather than 2006). http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...,prtpage-1.cms and http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...,prtpage-1.cms

I'm also really interested in what CCAfrica is going to do in India, so any further details you find would be welcome.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

The opening of the lodges has been pushed back to October 2006, probably because they have decided to build two all-new lodges.

I didn't find much on the web either, but I'm confident my information is correct as it comes direct from the horse's mouth -- from Yvonne Short, one of CCA's directors. I'll post if I hear anything more.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't partner with Oberoi as opposed to Taj, as I really like the Oberoi Vilas properties...

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM

When we traveled with CCA in November of 2003 they were discussing this joint venture. The locations were tentative at the time (we spoke with several people from the SA office who happened to be at Crater Lodge and on our tour at Lake Manyara) so I'm glad to see it's coming to fruition, especially since our India plans will be delayed for another 6 years or so By then the reviews should be in!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I stopped by the CCA stand at Destinations today to say hello and catch up on CCA news. I also picked up the first brochure for the new Indian lodges, and found out a bit more about them which I thought might be of interest.

BANDHAVARGH TIGER RESERVE, MADHYA PRADESH: 12 cottages. The architecture is based on the local vernacular, with hand-finished mud walls and hand-tiled roofs. The decor will feature earth tones accented with burnt orange and rust, woven textiles, and antique brass.

KANHA TIGER RESERVE, MADHYA PRADESH: 12 tented suites spread out along the edge of the Banjar River, each with private plunge pool. The decor will feature dark forest greens and aged timber.

PANNA TIGER RESERVE, MADHYA PRADESH: Number of rooms not known as yet. They will be stilted treehouses suspended high above the forest floor with private decks and views of the Ken River. The decor will feature rich earth tones, bleached stone, and local textiles.

PENCH TIGER RESERVE, MADHYA PRADESH: 12 cottages with rooftop terraces for sleep-outs under the stars. The architecture has clean modern lines, and the decor features hand-woven leathers and linens. The lodge has views allong teh nullak and a pool at the river's edge.

CORBETT TIGER RESERVE, UTTARANCHAL: Nine suites, each with private plunge pool, surrounded by mango trees. The architecture will combine modern and traditional influences with expansive glass-enclosed rooms and rustic gabon walls, accented by bold Rajasthani antiques. The suites will have views of the Kosi River and the distant Himalayan foothills.

The lodges are being designed by the same team who designed CCA's African lodges. The majority of the lodges are scheduled to open in October 2006.

Interestingly, the model CCA is using in India is a lot like the Wilderness model, in partnership with local owners rather than owning the properties outright as is the case with many of their African properties.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Hello Julian,, wow thanks for the cc africa update on India. I am going to kanha for 4 nights feb end march beginning..

Well in India at certain scanturies the level of guiding is not upto the mark like africa..
The best way to see rare animals in India is to be with forest rangers,, believe me the know excatly where the animals are...
Last year in sasan gir I did a walking safari with them and had a great time..
If u need any help on India let me know, also where have u been in India?? I am curious, Sonali.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sonali,

I haven't been to India yet, though my friends there keep urging me to come and visit them. I've always wanted to go on a tiger safari, but the guiding didn't seem to be up to the standards I've become accustomed to in Africa.

CCA is training with the local rangers, so people who stay at these lodges should have the best of both worlds -- local knowledge and CCA's guide training, which is the model for guide training programmes throughout Africa.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Well it would be a great experience with CCA.. I would be really happy if that happened in India as the whole perspective on Indian wildlife would shift to conservation

It's such a pity that the wildlife guidance is not up to the mark with africa

Taj has a property in sasan gir,, I hope CCA takes some interest in it and since they already have sooo many tourists coming to see the african lion I am sure they could draw lots of interested people if the guidance and tracking is superb,,

Sonali.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
santharamhari

Thanks for all the info.......Julian....living here in India, i will try to get bookings for October itself.....i am hoping that CCAfrica can match a similar experience to the one in Africa.....

I will definitely have the opportunity for a quick getaway....when trips to Africa seem so far away........

Hari

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Jasher,

If you decide on India, keep us posted on your planning and what you learn, either here on the Asia board.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lynn,

I've been wanting to go to India for some time, and the CCA venture may be what finally pushes me to go (probably in 2007 or 2008). Have you been to India? I'll certainly keep people here posted!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Not to India, Jasher, but a lovely trip to Nepal back in 97. And I won't be going to India until well after 07 or 08 so I'll be able to benefit from your experience.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM
santharamhari

I'll keep you folks posted.......once the ccafrica lodges open, i will try to go right away.....maybe even opening week!!!

I'm sure Sonali, will go also....

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Thanks, Hari for the vote of confidence. I will check up on the properties specially kanha as I am going feb end march beginning. Keep u posted, Sonali.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:08 AM
santharamhari

Sonali,

From Julian's posts there are 4 Madhya Pradesh camps coming up.......wonder how close they are to each other???

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

The Madhya Pradesh camps are in different reserves, but I don't know how close the reserves are to one another. They're designed to form part of a 'tiger circuit' which takes in the best opportunities for tiger viewing in India. Rathambore was excluded because the tiger viewing there has really gone downhill.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:43 AM
santharamhari

Julian,

Yes.....Ranthambore...i have been there in 2001....the park is too caught up in bogus rules and regulations and people who over-ride them......however, it is a stunning park and the setting is absolutely amazing!!!

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Hi, Hari i frankly wish that the stupid game drive route which exsists in ranthambore does not spread its tentacles to madhya pradesh. Also there will be a large number of tourists like east africa at the scantuaries, so privacy and exclusivity during game drives will be difficult
Best is to keep our fingers crossed and hope and wish CCA all the luck,
Sonali
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

What was Rathambore like?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks, this is a development in which I am very interested. I have been to India twic and its an amazing destination. On my first trip, I had planned to visit a tiger reserve in India, but I ended up visiting Royal Chitwan NP in Nepal, which has lots of tigers, all of which were hidden during my visit, but I did see several Indian rhino. I would really like to couple a trip to a tiger reserve with a visit to Gir to see the few remaining Asiatic lions. I'm still toying with my December holiday, and this may near the top of the list (but I also have Cyprus, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates and the Philippines on that list).

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -