Tarangire - Treetops Vs. Mawe Ninga?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in the final stages of our June 2005 Tanzania safari planning. Our current travel agent is pushing Treetops. Alternatively, we have heard about Mawe Ninga. Your expert opinions/pluses/minuses?
Most humbly,
Howard
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Howard

Both are good camps. But they offer different experiences.

Treetops is about 40min outside the park which can be problemmatic if your main aim is seeing wildlife (especially cats) and you have to drive back & forth - although you may see wildlife along the way. Mawe Ninga is inside to the west and while we did not see any wildlife around the camp (in Jul-Oct the big game tend to be more east towards the swamp), you are closer to the general viewing areas.

Treetops is unique in that you stay in elevated open rooms in Baobab trees! I love these trees and find this very exciting. They have a little pool and the lounge/dining room is also built around a huge tree. Sleeping at night with the canvas wide open in a "tree house" complete with shower and toilet is quite romantic and perfect for couples.

Mawe Ninga has new permanent tents with great views towards the west. A nice place to sit and watch the sunset with a drink and afterwards gather around the open fire on the deck. You can also relax on the balcony of your tent. They use young Maasai men to provide security.

For me, location, new tents and sunset views are pluses for Mawe Ninga. Uniqueness, romance, lounge/dining room layout, baobabs and the "wow" factor are pluses for Treetops.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM

We stayed at Treetops on our recent safari in December, 2004. It was an amazing expereince. The new managers (since the recent renovation and re-openning) are amazing and accomodating. (They even changed the menu for dinner one evening when we asked to try local foods). Highly recommended!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM

How did it go? We are planning one for June 2006. I would love to hear about yours, including where you stayed and which operator you used.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Just the question I had about Tarangire! Also, if anyone knows, how does River Camp figure in? And, yes, any additional info or experiences at Treetops, Mawe Ninga (and River Camp) would be great.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:43 AM

Hello Safari274,
My impression of Mave Ninga is that it is a small, intimate and nice camp. The tents are new and have a great view. Dining area also have a nice view, especially during sunset. But wildlife was not present during our visit in October, we had to drive a bit before starting to see animals. As a conclusion: it´s a good camp but perhaps not as perfect as when you read the rating on ATR homepage...
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:43 AM
sandi

... Treetops, while lovely and unique, is probably the most expensive property in Tarangire, even higher than Swala.

Treetops is outside of the park and a good 40-minute ride into the park. Likewise, Kikoti Camp is outside, about a 30-minute ride to the park. Tarangire River Camp, though outside, is a few miles (maybe 10-minutes)... closest of the three. Sopa Lodge is right smack in the middle of the park and a lovely property with pool.

The prices for Sopa, Kikoti and Tarangire River should be about the same.

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:31 AM
bat

janejean:
Here is a recent trip report that included a stay at Mawe Ninga.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34701084

BTW, Have you been to eben's website--www.go-safari.com? He has pictures of the various lodges in the parks. If you download google earth you can also access his maps that show the locations.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:54 AM
bat

janejean and safari274 (did not mean to slight you last time):
Here is the link to eben's comments about his June 05 stay at Treetops.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34632954
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Sorry I am not a big Treetops fan. I think it's great to say I've done it, but I certainly wouldn't pay to go there again.

Maybe some of the issue is that I got there in the evening and was tired. The sun was still up when I arrived, and I saw a tiny handful of elephants and buffalo milling around.

The rooms were cramped and creaky. I could hear the whole floor from my room. Definitely NOT a romantic setting. Bathroom had a ... strong smell to it.

I will admit the food was GREAT, though the dining quarters were cramped. Somewhere in the night a hyena came out. When I sat outside at night I was bombarded with insects.

I was told that it was so rare that a leopard came up there that I shouldn't even think about it.

Overall, yes it was unique, but it would never make my list of places to return to.

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Different Treetops, Wayne This one is in Tarangire NP, Tanzania and by most accounts here, an excellent camp.

http://www.elewana.com/ttt.html

BTW I just got a chance to finish your trip journal. Thanks for sharing. Made me really want to see the gorillas next. So glad your parents were able to share in the experience.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Ooops! I was anxious to vent

the place described in the link you sent looks good.

and yes I want everyone to see the gorillas.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Bat, thanks for the sites to check out.

Jane