Search

November Safari

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
November Safari

I have fortunately been able to visit Africa in each of the past five Summers, I haven't visited in November, and I would welcome suggestions.

In August 1999, on my first safari, I saw the migration in Masai Mara and I'd like, if possible, to this time see the migration in Serengeti (it looks like it passes by Klein's Camp, a CCA lodge around November). Does anyone have any info about visiting Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater in November.

Optimally, I would like to visit Serengeti and Crater for a 5 or 6 days, and then fly to Seychelles and/or Mauritius, likely from Nairobi, so any info on these islands would also be welcome.

Thanks,

Michael
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM
sandi

There are a number of posts re the Seychelles, particularly as a great R&R stop after Safari. I'm sure a "search" will bring up those posts and provide some information helpful to you. And recently there have been some posts re Mauritius. So for these two possibilities you have some
homework to do. Then, once you've gone through those, you'll have questions - and we'll be here for you.

As to the reverse Migration returning from the Mara - this can occur anytime from October onward. Last year it was close to even into November. And yes, they would be passing by Klein's camp or even east of there on the outskirts of the Serengeti heading thru east central down to south east for calving in January-February.

When we visited at end-November, the Ngorongoro Crater, was the crater. Whatever animals are in the crater are there - few leave. All I recall was that it was hot and dusty. But if you've never been the 1-full day most spend here should be considered.

As far as the Serengeti in November, you might want to check AfricaTravelResources (believe that's the name) - they show a semi-permanent camp in that area, Olosakwan, open thru November, a little less costly than Klein's. From the way the map looks this is probably the route the herds will take. And Migration Camp is also in the Northern area, but the semi-permanent might be your better choice.

We had stayed at Kirawira in the Western Serengeti, so didn't see, nor were concerned with herds returning from the Mara - besides there are permanent herds in the Western area that don't migrate.

Hope this gets you on your way and is helpful.

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:39 AM
sandi

Ooops, forgot - here are sites for Seychelles you might want to check:

www.seychelles.com
www.justseychelles.com

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the migration, I believe you should always split your time between 2 camps. As I am not too concerned about the quality of accommodation, I would recommend Lobo Lodge but you can combine it with something slightly more upscale such as Migration Camp. Lobo is in an area of outstanding natural beauty, an area dotted with riverine forests and close to Mara river which the wildebeest cross to return to Tanzania. Migration Camp is next to Grumeti River which the wildebeest have to cross on their way to Salei plains and Ndutu. These are the two key areas which you should focus on. I haven't been to Kleins so cannot comment but for the price of 2 nights at Kleins or a semi-permanent camp you might be able to fit in 5 nights at Lobo and Migration Camp. What is important is that you are able to do all day game drives at your own convenience and in the areas you choose to, so choose a company which will offer you just that. I think with Kleins and any other outfit, where you can't take your own vehicle, you will be restricted in your game drives. I suggest you only spend a night in Ngorongoro. I am sure your agent can figure out the exact route for you.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:36 PM
sandi

Re Migration Camp - recently completely redone. New tents, furnishings. Now under the ownership of the Sopa chain.