HONEYMOON - SAFARI & BEACH RESORT HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son wants to honeymoon in Southern Africa in May 2005 - a safari (maybe Botswana) and then nice beach resort. Any ideas? Appreciate all help.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:35 AM

I've never been to Botswana, and don't know the best times to travel there. An experienced Africa traveller and regular poster on this forum, Kavey, will be going to Botswana in May 2004, so that tells me the chances are good that May is a decent time to visit that country.

One thing I will say is that, if someone already is in Botswana, it's worth taking a flight to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, IMO. I really like Vic Falls.

As for beach resorts in Southern Africa, there are a few geographical and political realities that would be helpful to know. There is a cold ocean current that goes up the west coast of South Africa and Namibia, that makes the western beaches quite uncomfortable for swimming. There is, however, a warm ocean current that goes down the east coast of South Africa that makes the eastern beaches rather pleasant for swimming.

According to South African law, no one (no person or corporation) may own a stretch of beach. The entire coastline is public property. So, while there are what might be called resort hotels and resort towns, there are no hotels that have the exclusive right to park their lounge chairs on the beach and give their guests exclusive access to the beach, as I understand is the case in some European countries, for example. There are of course beachfront hotels that have lovely views of the sea, and there are beautiful sandy beaches with good waves for surfing.

If your son and his fiancee insist on a true beach vacation, they will be better off going to the KwaZulu-Natal coast, because May is the southern hemisphere autumn. Because of KwaZulu-Natal's latitude, it stays nice and warm through the fall, winter and spring. Its position on the eastern seaboard, with that warm ocean current flowing past, makes for a pleasant water temperature.

If, however, they are willing to forego a classic beach vacation, they could have an interesting trip through Cape Town, its wine growing hinterland and the Garden Route (the southern stretch of coastline from Mossel Bay, through George and Kysna to the Tsitsikama Forest and the Storms River Bridge). It's possible they may encounter somewhat cooler weather with a certain amount of drizzle, but the weather also may be pleasant. It's the roll of the dice. Cape Town's scenery undoubtedly looks more spectacular on a sunny day than it looks on a cloudy day, but the cool weather wouldn't be cold by the standards of the northern tier states of the U.S.

If you compare latitudes south and north of the equator, May in Cape Town would be something like November in Los Angeles, if that helps you to visualize the potential weather. Durban's conditions would be quite similar to those of Jacksonville, Florida.

If you want to find out more about Botswana, I recommend doing a word search here at the Fodors Africa forum. There are numerous discussion threads on that country. There is REALLY good information in this current thread entitled, "So many beautiful lodges in Botswana...... "

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34482304

Hope this helps.

P.S. Before hitting the Post button, something made me click on your name to see what messages you'd posted previously, to get some sense of how much you already might or might not know about Southern Africa. I saw you'd just returned from Cape Town, so now I feel like a bit of an idiot for giving you the big geography lesson. When I read your questions on behalf of your son, you sounded like a newbie. For the benefit of other posters who may respond to your questions, perhaps it would be helpful if you would provide a bit more of a hint of what you already know about Botswana and Kwa-Zulu Natal. But I think I'll keep the rest of my message just as it is, unnecessary geography lesson and all, because forum posts are read by people besides the intended recipients, and all of them enter the great Fodors storehouse of information.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:29 AM

pmorgan5:

Here is a few romantic rooms in the Sabi Sands Game reserve if your son is to consider RSA:

MOST ROMANTIC ROOMS IN THE SABI SANDS

1]Ulusaba Safari Lodge-ask for RIVER 4
Fantastic room!.This room is very private and+- one kilometer from the main lodge area.You access this room via swing bridges and more often than not animals will pass under you on your way to your suite!Also built on stilts in dry riverbed

2]Ulusaba Rock LODGE - Ask for the master suite
This room has undoubtedly the best view in the whole of the Sabi Sands

3]SabiSabi Selati Lodge-ask for the Ivory Presidential Suite

4]SabiSabi EARTH LODGE any room.

5]EXETER'S NEW LEADWOOD LOGDE- any room
This stunning new lodge has only four rooms,massive plunge pools,you can dine in the privacy of your suite and is brand new.

6]LONDOLOZI SAFARI LODGE-ask for room nr 1
Small and intimate.You feel isolated deep in the bush.This lodge also has a very nice pool that you can only reach by walking through a dry riverbed.

7]LONDOLOZI TREE CAMP- ask for a room with a sala
Well known on this webpage see previous postings

8]NOTTENS BUSH CAMP- ask for a luxury suite as they have both indoor and outdoor showers

9]CHITWA CHITWA MAIN LODGE-ask for the boulders suite

10] DULINI BUSH CAMP- any room

I think if you combine any of above mentioned safaris with a visit to Cape Town you can't go wrong.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Judy - thanx very much for the hot/cold current info - that's very helpful. 'Tho I've been to Cape Town and on several safaris, I have not done the kind of trip my son wants - he's a more "upscale" traveler than I am. I appreciate your help. Thanx.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Safarinut - I'll follow up on those "romantic" destinations. Appreciate the help.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Hi there,
Botswana is certainly a great destination for a honeymoon and nothing more romantic than staying in a tent

There is a great new lodge in Maun called
Motsentsela Tree Lodge and the best getaway into the Okavango Delta.
The lodge can be booked through:
www.safaris-botswana.com

Has your son thought of going to Mozambique afterwards. It's certainly not as overrun as SA and some islands in the Indian Ocean are. Mozambique is still a true gem for the experienced traveller. I have been to Maputo (the hotel was called Karos Polana at that time - name has changed in the meantime), I also stayed at Barra Lodge. There are flights from Joburg up to Barra.
Cheers