Search

Strange cruise advice from a travel agent

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange cruise advice from a travel agent

Hello all. My mother and stepdad are going on the Elation in November. This will be their first cruise. Mom told me that her travel agent advised her to bring water and pocket-sized snacks. She was under the impression that tap water is not free at meals. I told her that I have been on 8 cruises myself and I have never brought food or water on the ship. I told her that the tap water is free (which she is happy to drink, no need for bottled) and so are tea and coffee. I went on to tell her that the meals are large, but if you do get hungry between meals there's almost always a buffet going somewhere on board.

I simply cannot see why anyone needs to bring water and snacks on a cruise ship. I have always found there is more food than I can eat on cruise ships, and I have never been charged for tap water with a meal. If anyone is of a different opinion, I would be interested to hear your views.

P. S. They do not have any special dietary requirements.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Very odd. What is the reason or logic for this advice?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM
P_M
Original Poster

I asked her that question, and the travel agent told her it's good to have snacks handy in case you are doing something and you don't want to leave the area to get a snack. That makes no sense to me, because if I'm hungry enough, I'll get up and leave the blackjack table, for example. I can see how a diabetic might need snacks at a moment's notice, but that's not the case for my folks. As for the water, my only guess is that the travel agent doesn't care for tap water and thinks nobody else wants it either.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Pretty weird to me. Just file it and forget it. Best of luck to your folks. I am sure they will enjoy it.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:18 AM

This would be good advice for the flight or if dependent on shuttles from airport/hotel.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:42 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Actually they will be driving about 200 miles to the port. I agree this is good advice for the road trip, but he specifically told them to bring this stuff onto the ship.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Regarding the ships water, all modern ships, including the Elation, make their own drinking water from Sea water. The high tech equipment they use removes the salt and purifies the water to the same standards of bottled water.

The advice about bringing your own water is indeed strange unless he/she meant to take with you as you leave the ship in port. Even then, the elation staff will be waiting at the place you get off the ship with bottled water (for a fee) if someone wanted to take some.

I have been on some really old ships, (which I believe are now all out of service), that carried their own water, and did see them taking on water in other ports, but that was a LONG time ago and the ships were build in the 50's. I can't believe that there are still travel agents who would believe that to be the case.

Anyway, hope this helps and wish Mom and Stepdad a great cruise!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:49 AM

On some ships (like the one I was
just on which is Not a major line)
the DO charge for water even tho
the tap wawa is potable.

However, the Elation does not fall
under this category.
That said, I always have a bottle
for going ashore as some tours
last up to 7 hrs.
Could that have been the TA's intent?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Rhea, I'm not sure if that was the TA's intent or not. In any case, I passed along this thread to Mom and she is greatly relieved to know that she doesn't have to lug around several day's worth of water in her suitcase. Thanks everyone!!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:06 AM

We were on HAL in July. They charged $2 for a large bottle of water. I think if you can afford a cruise, you can afford to buy bottled water.

Iced tea & lemonade were complimentary.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I think we all know bottled water has a price but thanks anyway Leona. If there was any doubt you have cleared it up.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM

I've actually thought the tap water on the ship is better than the stuff I get at home!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM

That is odd....I do have a theory, though. My husband and I took a Mexican Riviera cruise on, oddly enough, the Elation. From the time we got off the plane, it was at least 5 hours before we got on the ship. We had to wait in line at the airport for about an hour and a half for the busses. They didn't tell us that we would have to wait that long, they just said to wait. Then when we got to the docks, it took roughly 3 hours to get on board....we were very thirsty, and hungry. There were a lot of small children crying. It wasn't the best start.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM

It's time for your pill, jacketwatch.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Now Leona no need for that. Just be happy.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Just a couple of comments.

I always bring snack food with me. This is for when I am on excursions all day and am not always getting lunch. In most ports, you can not bring fruit or sandwiches off of the ship due to local regulations but packaged food seems Ok to bring off the ship.

As far as water - I drink the ship's water but I have friends who became really sick once and the onboard doctor recommended they not drink tap water from the ship (he has seen cases where people became sick and suspected water). They always buy bottled water for all their drinking on the ship.

I do bring bottled water with me on the ship because what the ship charges is rediculious. I take this with me when in port.