FIRST TIME CRUISERS NEED DINING ROOM SEATING HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are first-time cruisers but otherwise well travelled. We are seniors in our 70s, and travelling independently (we know some people on the same cruise but who are in a group). We will not be seated with them in the dining room. This is not a problem.

I have read and asked enough questions to have a good idea of how things work regarding dining room seating. Our cruise will be on the Ryndam (Caribbean) February 5 for 14 days. We are in good health, active and enjoy contributing to conversations in a mixed group.

1. I'd like advice/suggestions on what to consider when requesting seating in the dining room (I feel sure we won't spend every dinner in the dining room). Would it be wise to ask for seating for at least six people for a good mix of personalities?

2. Should we ask that our ages be mentioned so that a group of young people wouldn't be stuck with us? Or would that put us with all "old folk"?

3. We prefer the 8:00pm sitting (although a little late) to the 5:45pm sitting (too early). Anyone have have advice/suggestions.

Thanks.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM

If you want varied dinner companions ask to be seated at a large table. Don't worry about age - we have met people of all ages on trips and for the most part they were all fun to talk with. I would not want to be 'stuck' with just one age group anyway.

If you do find yourself with some people you just cannot communicate with (for whatever reason) just ask to be seated elsewhere the next night.

I'm no cruise expert, but personally we like Anytime Dining (Princess) and requested (and got) a table for 2 each night. The tables were close enough together that you could talk with other guests if you wanted to (and we frequently did) or you could simply be "alone" at your table.

Please .. do not limit yourself to just people in your age group, it is so much fun to talk with and experience other age groups. We are not young by any means, but I have found that younger people are more fun to be around.

Please - don't be like some of the seniors we did encounter .. they were ready to tell us all about their medications, doctors, hospital visits, and grandchildren (in that order) ... frankly, we did not care to hear their medical history and a little about the grandkids goes a long way.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:21 PM

You will love cruising and dont worry about the dining. My TA told me to pick table for 6 and that works out fine. There is no pressure on anyone with 6 at the table. I like early sitting, The personal choice someone mentioned on Princess is not available on HAL. Dont worry about the ages or the backgrounds of the tablemates. HAL is very nice comfortable cruiseline. Dont worry about your age, we would love to sit with you. Cruises draw people from all walks of life, just enjoy yourself.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM

FWIW we enjoyed talking to older people on our Alaskan cruise last August. It was nice and honestly educational in some ways to listen to a seasoned perspective. Anyway the conversations always kept going. Wish you were at our table. Bon Voyage and have fun. Larry
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:04 AM

The larger the number @ a table the better the odds of meeting interesting folk so opt for a 6'er.

In my experience w/HAL, they haven't
ever placed us in a age-specific grouping & have always requested a
6'er. That being said, when I traveled
alone I was not as fortunate !.

The free room service will be a godsend. Have a late aft. cheese tray snack or whatever you wish to tide you over for your late dinner seating. The staff is quite accommodating.

You will love your experience w/Hal
I hope.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Hi,

You will probably enjoy sitting at a table of 6 people. Holland America does a very good job of matching people at tables; I've kept in touch with several former tablemates from Holland America after cruises. If you aren't comfortable with your tablemates, discretely ask the Maitre d' to re-seat you.

If you'd prefer to change to an earlier seating, ask to be placed on the waitlist for the earlier dining time - there is a 6:15 seating as well as a 5:45 seating. If the waitlist doesn't clear, when you board the ship, check the daily planner/schedule for the time and place to meet with the dining staff. It will be in the afternoon in a small public room, usually in a meeting room close to the ship's library - it isn't well-publicized, so read the schedule closely to find the time and location. They are often able to accommodate changes in dining times on the first day.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Julia
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM

michi...All I gotta say is LUCKY YOU! What a way to start your cruising career 14 days of bliss.I have no experience with Holland America but hope to.I have a couple of thoughts.Personally, I like large tables.Couple of years ago 4 of us who had been close in college took a cruise, Royal Caribbean.We had a large table with a "senior" couple.All of us together had had close relationships with our grandparents.So we didnt consider them "old".(Old is Dead,no?)So we readily attached to everyone as a group and had a blast.We still email and send cards to.Maybe thats the best souvenir of all.Oh, and IMHO, I doubt you will run into much of a young crowd being a 14 day cruise.There is always the exception.Most "young" I guess meaning 25 and single like me tend to gravitate to RCCL, Princess and, ugghh, Carnival.(Yes, I've done Carnival!!)According to the HAL website, the only available seating for your cruise is in fact, Main Seating Lower, 8.15pm.So there you go.Looking at the itinerary, that is good since departure time from most of your ports is in the 6pm time frame.There also appear to be innumerable snacking options, plus the Lido cafe.You will have no problems and I for one hope to see your report.Best of Luck!...........Stephen
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Good responses. We will ask for table of six or more. Your answers are very reassuring - we've never had problems at a mixed table and we'll look forward to dining - thanks to all of you.

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I am a little late here--but do try to keep that late seating. There is nothing sadder to us than seeing people dressed for dinner at 4:30 in the afternoon--right as we sail from a port!
Age makes no difference. The advice of all previous seems good. We have come to prefer HALs "Vista" class ships, as they are a cut above--but cabin size and value are excellent on Holland America. You will fit well with any group. A problem with 6 tops is that they are rarely circular. Asking for 8 at a table--may give you a better view of all tablemates. We ususally establish different seats each night--in 14 days the waiter will know you well. We also let our table mates know ( when possible) if we have other plans for the following night.
Have a lovely time!