Dress Code & Footware

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dress Code & Footware

Help! I am having a packing nighmares about my cruise later this month. This is my first cruise of any sort and want to 'try' and get it right. Given that we are flying from the UK and so baggage is going to be an issue, how strict is the dress code on the SUMMIT. Also, I was thinking of bringing a pair of light weight walking boots, do I need to?
Any 'must brings' that anyone can think of would be much appreciated. Also if there any any definite 'leave at home' that would help with the baggage problem. Any must do drips would also help.

Thanks
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM

I go with the mix and match theory--bring black, denim and khaki bottoms for the day time, with shirts that can be worn with all three.

For the evening (our favorite cruise line doesn't have formal nights), I take black silk pants, a black skirt, another skirt and pants, and nice tops that can be worn with at least three bottoms.

It might help if you told us where your cruise is going and what kind of activities you're planning to do.

I've never taken boots on a cruise.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, we are going to Alaska - I can understand boots might sound a bit strange if we were going to the Caribbean!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM

You can rent tux and shoes on board.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM

We went to Alaska, although not on a criuise, and we didn't need boots. Shoes with a good rubber sole worked fine.

I didn't know if you were cruising Alaska, Caribbean, Med, Baltic, etc, etc.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM

If you're comfortable in your boots, by all means take them. I don't really think you'll need them though. We wore tennis shoes on port days in Alaska. We took jeans for daywear, but you could choose a lighter fabric, if you're worried about weight. Celebrity cruisers in general do adhere to the dress code. On our 10 night Infinity (sister ship to Summit) cruise, we saw less than 10 people total not dressed per the dress code. Those were all seen in the hall & elevator. None of them were in the dining room, shows, etc. Trying to limit the number of shoes you bring will help with baggage. We took a hooded raincoat & fleece, which doubled for a heavy coat or could be worn alone. Depending on the level of cabin you have, Celebrity can have very nice toiletries, hair dryers, etc. No need to bring you own. This would be CC class cabins & above. If I think of anything else, I'll post. Enjoy Alaska! It's incredible!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:15 PM

Wanted to add: In cutting down on shoes, a good place to start is trying to bring one pair of dress shoes to wear with all formals & informals.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:34 AM

We just got back from Alaska on the 28th August. What are you port stops? That will help with excursions. No, you don't need boots unless you plan to do some of the more strenuous, "roughing it" types of activities. Then they may come in handy. As for formal nights a suit or jacket with dress pants will be fine. One thing to bring is a good pair o binoculars. As for clothing dress in layers. There is no need for a heavy coat. Actually it was around 60 F at our port stops but Ketchican hit around 72 the day we arrived.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:37 AM

Just a note to the above response. I can't speak for other lines, but if you wear a sports coat & slacks on formal nights on Celebrity, you will be underdressed. Some people that bothers, some it doesn't. Just thought I'd let you know.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM

Atually I think its a matter of personal taste and your own sense of comfort. My info comes from a long time Celebrity cruiser. I think if you are comfortable in this attire then it shows. If not then go dressier. Don't wear your boots. JM2C.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM

Make sure you bring tops and a jacket that you can LAYER during the day as the weather varies....

Walking shoes are all you really need--plus a pair of dressy shoes for formal nite and a pair of nice shoes for regular nites....

Celebrity is definitely dressier on formal nites--but a dark suit and a black silk pair of slax and top should do you just fine...no need for tux but definitely NO sport coat on formal nite-I think you would feel totally underdressed....We did the Summit in April and this was what we saw on the ship....
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Andy: Silk only? What about fine wool and Egyptian cotton?
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Actually per the Celebrity Cruises web page the attire recommended is as follows in this link:
http://www.celebrity.com/beforeyourc...me=faq_answers
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advise folks. Got some good news at the weekend our baggage allowance is 32kg and not the usual 20kg so that will help. Now I just need to fugure out what the 'Alaska Discount Ticket Books' are and if they can be used on Celebrity ships or if they are only for use for independant travellers.

Thanks
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Bring some warm clothes. We were there mid September and it was COLD!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 09:20 AM

When we did an Alaska cruise we did a couple of day hike shore exursions & was very glad to have packed boots. If that is in the plan for you, I bring them. Have great trip. Meg
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM

I pack a pair of waterproof Merrells for Alaska and they have served me well over 4 cruises to the area. I think boots are overkill unless you are doing some dogsledding or serious hiking.

You should bring an unbrella and an all weather type jacket; mine is mid thigh length.

Celebrity is definitely more formal than many of the mainstream lines. On my 4 cruises with Celebrity, a good 75% of the men were in tuxes on formal nights, the rest in suits. IMO, you would be underdressed to wear a sportcoat and slacks.

Have you considered renting a tux on board? Minimal cost a definite savings on baggage; you would even need to pack a suit! Just a sportcoat for the informal nights.

I pack black dressy slacks and wear them with three different tops. For formal nights I have long dresses made of silk jersey. No wrinkles and no weight to speak of. I limit dress shoes to two pairs (amazing for me!) The other two nights I will wear a dress or skirt.

For daytime I dress in layers and limit my colors to black on the bottom and one pair of jeans. I prefer athletic type clothing and that works well because it is lighter weight than pants or jeans.