Accommodations - Fox Glacier and Wanaka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to finalize accommodations in Fox Glacier and Wanaka, and would appreciate any last minute affirmations or warnings.

For Fox Glacier, I've been debating between Fox Glacier Lodge and the Lake Matheson Motel - any ideas? Actually, both seem fine as far as I can tell. We'll be there two nights.

We'll only be in Wanaka one night, to break up the drive from Te Anau to Fox Glacier - I was thinking of the Moorings. Comments seem generally favorable, website looks nice.

I'll book these later today unless I hear any better ideas from the experts.

Then onto figuring out lodging for Hokitika and Christchurch....

Happy New Year, everyone.
Alice
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM

We stayed at The Moorings about 5 years ago and loved it. We were there two nights and wished we could have stayed longer.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:38 PM

We will be in NZ on 8/1/2008 and have booked into http://www.wanakaedge.co.nz (Wanaka Edge Suites). Check out the site. It looks really nice. As for Hokitika, our accomodation is Shining Star Beachfron Accomodation (which my brother in-law thought it was too small for a family of four). He just got back from South Island 2 weeks ago. In Christchurch, we are staying in Oaks Smartstay Apartments on Cashel www.theoaksgroup.com.au. Their Queenstown accomodation is really beautiful (according to my brother in law) - lake view at the front of accomodation and Mt Remarkables at the back. We are also booked into the same accomodation.

Good luck.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations, I will definitely check them out.

Alice
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
Jed

We stayed at the Lake Matheson Motel one night - came late, left early. It was a plain motel - fine for one night. My opinion.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Alice -

We spent three nights at Lake Matheson Motel a few years back and enjoyed our stay. We found it clean, comfortable and the hosts friendly and helpful. Not fancy, but it suited us fine.

For what it's worth, our favorite restaurant in Fox is the Cook Saddle.

I haven't stayed at the Moorings, but I saw it on our visit in August and it was well located. Many people on this board speak highly of it. We stayed at 52 on Willowridge in Wanaka - a nice B&B that also offers an apartment.

www.willowridgehouse.co.nz/

Highly recommend Amigo Cafe (Mexican) and Bombay Palace in Wanaka for good eats.

For Christchurch, I can recommend
De Lago Motel - it's located on a busy road, which might be an issue if you're light sleepers, but we found the rooms very nice and comfortable, and it was a near our favorite NZ Indian restaurant, Little India. www.delagomotel.co.nz/

Have a good trip!