Search

NZ Trip report-1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ Trip report-1

We have just returned from three weeks in NZ having had an amazing trip--thanks to all the help I received from this forum, the warm and hospitable Kiwi's and the incredible scenery. This was our second trip to NZ so we did not revisit Milford and Doubtful sounds, Queenstown, Christchurch, TranzAlpine railroad, Rotorua and the Coramandel. Used frequent flier tickets from Baltimore to San Francisco. airport check in and security were quick and easy.We flew out of San Francisco ($740 USD) on Air NZ. We each had an aisle seat and took an ambien when we were ready to sleep.We flew from Aukland to Christchurch on Quantas which I booked on the nz site for 56.50 USD each. Air NZ ripped my suitcase in transit, but cheerfully provided me with a new one in Christchurch. We were met by Omega people who took us into Christchurch to pick up our car. They were very courteous and helpful. No problem getting chains (which we didn't need). Cost 49 NZD/day for a four door, automatic car. We drove south to Oamaru stopping at Ashburton for lunch and a look at some crafts. I did buy some beautiful wool. The scenery was amazing--the alps fully covered in snow in the distance with the flat plains creeping toward the craggy mts. As we headed the south the scenery began to change with less snow on the mts. and greener fields. Arrived in Oamaru at 3:00 and went to information center to find a B & B, our preferred accomodation. It was not fancy but very clean and warm, had a sitting room with tv, wood stove, bedroom and bath.--95 NZD including cooked or cold breakfast. Sheila gave us biscuits and tea on our arrival which was great because it had been a long day.The home overlooked the harbor. We did have a chance to see the penguins come in for the night. The next morning there was frost, but it quickly warmed up. We drove around Oamaru and found the limestone buildings with carvings most interesting.
Day 2riving south we stopped at "All Day Bay" (on the road from Taranui)where we watched two sulkies practice backing the horses into the water. Pretty beach to walk on too. Also stopped at Hampden Beach and the Moeraki Bolders. Drove into Moeraki and had lunch at Le Fleurs, overlooking the bay. A magnificent setting and delicious food. Ate so much for lunch that we skipped dinner that night.
Drove on then to Dunedin where we stayed at Nesbit Cottage. Off season we paid $130 NZD. Hildegarde was delightful and helpful. We booked her penguin tour for the next morning (nz nature guides).
Day 3:We left at 6:30 for Sand Fly Bay. Having been once, I wouldn't need a guide next time, but I would have had a difficult time finding the blind on my own in the dark.There also was a heavy frost and the roads were quite icy. I was glad we were not driving. Walking along the beach we passed a few sea lions sleeping. As soon as we arrived at the blind, we saw the penguins beginning their trip into the ocean. Eighteen in all. Fun watching one pair court. Also saw a number of fur seals. The climb back up the dunes was memorable! Back at the cottage, Hildegarde had an amazing breakfast ready for us.
After breakfast we drove out on the peninsula stopping at some lovely gardens. Even though it was winter there were hydrangeas, fuschia, primrose, azeleas, magnolias, heather and the most magnificent rhodedendroms. Leaving there we drove along the bay and out to Tairoa where the albatross nest. Very interesting exhibit. We then took the Monarch Cruise. It was very cold, but we were dressed warmly. There were only fifteen on the boat and only five of us outside. We saw royal and buller albatross,and the albatross chicks on the hill, shags, black backed gulls, variable oyster catchers and petrels along with fur seals. Watching the albatross glide around the boat was awesome, they seem to float through the sky. Took the upper road back to Dunedin. What a great city Dunedin is--the architecture is right out of Scotland--and such an easy city to navigate.
Day:4 We left Dunedin and drove north on Rt. 1 to Palmerston (on suggestion from Hildegarde). Took Rt. 85 through beautiful country and windy roads to Ranfurly, an art deco town. Spent time there talking to an interesting antique dealer--such fun just being with the local people. Then took a side road south down to Oturehua to Omakau, meeting back with 85. Connected to Rt.8 in Clyde and drove N. to Wanaka. Stayed at Harper's B&B (120NZD ensuite). Again, lovely hosts who served us muffins and tea on our arrival. Walked around town and on the beach. Enjoyed the bricks from year 1-2000.

I hope this is not too tedious or long for the forum. If so please let me know and I will put it in an e-mail for those who would like to read it. Otherwise I will continue writing in the future.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Please continue to post! I enjoyed reading part one of your report.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
More, more!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Do tell more!!!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:16 AM

We're considering using the Riverrun Lodge in Wanaka as a two day base to see Mt. Cook and take a scenic flight. How did Wanaka compare with Queenstown? Thanks so much for the help.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:05 PM

lrjones, you might want to post your question as a separate thread. You'll probably get more responses that way.

Lee Ann