Search

Ayers Rock/Alice Springs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:37 PM
cr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayers Rock/Alice Springs

Is it worth while flying out to Ayers Rock/Alice Springs? I keep hearing mixed things about it. I was thinking of spending 3 days there but not sure if it's worth the flight time nor the money. Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:47 PM

cr:<BR>Have done both. Would prefer to spend that money on additional time in Sydney, Melbourne or even Tasmania.<BR>John
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:23 PM
ALF

I think that it depends on what you like. We found the stark beauty of the Red Centre to be magical and unforgettable. I would not miss it for the world. On the other hand, it is expensive to get to, and stay there. During the summer it is unbearably hot, and at other times the blowflies might drive you crazy. If you are more of a city person, it might not be worth it for you.<BR><BR>If you include Kata Tjuta, Watarrka, and the McDonnel Range, then it would be more worthwhile.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:14 AM

Hi CR,<BR><BR>It depends on the time of year that you are looking at coming here. If it is in the months of May thru to end of August then a side trip to Ayres Rock, The Olgas and Kings Canyon would be enjoyable if you are into arid landscapes.<BR><BR> Unfortunately I cannot recommend Alice Springs as a safe tourist destination due the increase in unprovoked violence in the Mall and around the town in general. The latest being a Dutch couple who's Britz campervan was damaged by street youths out to cause trouble. The couple were lucky to get away from their attackers in this instance. However last week a woman was set upon by a gang of youths after walking out of the chemist and into the mall to walk back to her car, she was not so lucky and did sustain injuries.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Paul_S<BR><BR>This sort of behaviour is on the increase in Alice and until the authorities can come up with a solution I will not be recommending Alice as a destination for tourists.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 03:51 PM

Pul: I read with interest your report on Alice...I am a woman traveling solo &amp; hoped to go to ayers rock (have 6 wks in au) and a travel agent from au recommended a flight from Perth to Alice and motorcoach to Alice...I want to experience sounds of silence, morning camel, safari to outback...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..safety is important to me.Thanks for all input. Johanna
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 05:06 AM

Hi Johanna,<BR><BR>My comments on Alice Springs are specifically about the town itself. I have lived here for many years and the situation is deteriorating when it comes to street violence. <BR><BR>Your au travel agent is trying to let you have everything on your wish list and rightly so. To do the camel safari your travel agent is obviously thinking about the camel farm at Jim's Place about 80 km south of Alice towards Ayres Rock. I have no doubt that you will be safe in an organised tour group, my concerns lie with those people who wander around Alice on their own or in a group of two.<BR><BR>A sunset camel ride can be done from the resort at Ayres Rock, the link is:<BR>http://www.outbacktravelshop.com.au/yulara/tours/unique/camel.htm<BR><BR>Please make sure that when you are visiting us here, always heed the advice of your guides and stay with your group don't be tempted to wander off and do your own thing. There have been instances lately of tourists falling victims to louts in both Alice and Ayres Rock. Stay with your group and everything will be fine.<BR><BR>If you want mostly to see Ayres Rock, The Olgas and Kings Canyon then I would suggest flying to Ayres Rock direct from Perth and taking side tours to The Olgas and Kings Canyon.<BR><BR>Camel safaris can be done in a lot of locations in Australia, I am not sure where else you are going to whilst you are here but there is a great camel adventure ride at a place called Port Stephens which is 2.5 hours north of Sydney.<BR><BR>If you would like to ask more specific questions about the Alice region you can e-mail me direct and I will endeavour to answer them as best I can.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Paul_S
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 05:10 AM

Hi Johanna,<BR><BR>I keep forgetting that our e-mail addresses are not displayed anymore. If your wish to contact me direct it is [email protected]<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Paul_S
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:35 AM

We just got back from a 21 day tour in NZ/AU, 1 day in Alice springs was enough.Did your tour agent mention fly problem, 3 days? If you have questions e-mail [email protected]
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:05 AM
cr
Original Poster

We opted not to go to Alice Springs/Ayers Rock after all. We were orginally going to go but all the feedback turned us off. My travel agent never mentioned the fly problems or safety in Alice Springs. She was adament we experience the outback by going but we just said no. Doesn't sound fun. Thanks everyone for your feedback ...
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Paul, sad to hear about Alice. Sounds like things have gone downhill since I lived there some years back. At that time, you were generally ok so long as you stayed away from the riverbed.<BR><BR>I know this is too late for cr, but I think the Centre is one of the most amazing places in the world. Uluru and Kata Tjuta aside, the sheer beauty of some of the gorges around Alice Springs, the red sands of the desert, the sunsets, the silence.....<BR><BR>Yes, the heat can be oppressive in summer and I can understand not wanting to go from a Northern winter into that. The flies can also be excessive at times (although they are small bush flies, not large blowflies as previously stated, they can be very annoying).<BR><BR>There are many wonderful places to visit in Australia, and I guess it all comes down to time available and personal preferences in the end. Just wanted to put in my vote for the Centre for anyone else trying to decide.