Suggested generic query

Search

Suggested generic query

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggested generic query

<i>As someone who has responded to a lot of queries on this forum, may I share with you the kind of post that makes it easier for me to help you?

Before you type the contents of your post, I trust you will devise a thread title that will give us at least a hint as to which one of our six time zones your intended destination is located in. After that, may I suggest you proceed as follows: </i>

Hello fellow Fodorites.

Could you please help me in planning my trip to ______ (town or general area) in ________ (province)?

<i>The people who potentially may respond to you are like dolphins. They’ll be more inclined to jump (answer your questions) if you throw them the occasional piece of fish (for example, if you toss out a &quot;Please&quot; once in a while).</i>

I have never traveled there / I am a repeat visitor, but what I want to know this time is ______ .

I am planning to visit in ______ (month or at least season). / I don’t know what is the best time of year for skiing / whale watching / hiking / wine tasting / [fill in the blank], and I wonder if you could advise me on when to go.

I will be traveling alone / with my spouse / with my spouse and children / with my spouse and parents / with my spouse, parents and children. My spouse and I are in our mid forties, my parents are in their seventies but fit for their age / slow on their feet / [fill in the blank], and my children are aged ___ and ___ .

We will be able to spend three days / one week / ten days / two weeks / three weeks / a month / six weeks on our trip.

We will be traveling from the United States / Italy / Australia / Brazil / [fill in the blank].

On the same trip we will be visiting New York City / going on an Alaskan cruise / flying on to Europe / [fill in the blank].

We are interested in museums / art galleries / shopping / restaurants / downhill skiing / hiking / white water rafting / horseback riding / rest and relaxation / [fill in the blank].

We like cities / beaches / wilderness areas / We would like to split our time between cities and wilderness areas.

We plan to drive / We want to use public transportation / We would prefer not to drive but would be willing to do so if it really is the only way to do justice to the area / [fill in the blank].

We are looking for luxury / moderately priced / budget accommodation. We like big hotels / small hotels / self-catering accommodation / bed and breakfasts / hostels.

<i>There really is no sense in asking about accommodation till you’ve figured out your itinerary. </i>

We like to get up early and keep up a busy pace all day / We like to take things more slowly and see a given area in depth.

I know nothing about this area / I have searched the Internet and have found out ______ but still do not understand ______ .

<i>Most posters are more willing to interact with you if you have made some effort to find out about the area and are in a position to ask more focused questions. You can find out a lot by using the Search box near the top of the Fodor’s screen. Another good source of information is the Destinations section of the Fodor’s website. The link to it is near the top left hand corner of the Fodor’s screen.</i>

I wonder if you could help me with an itinerary / tell me how much time is required to get an overview of the area / tell me how much is reasonable to fit into two weeks / [fill in the blank].

<b>If you receive responses, this is how you might consider following up.</b>

Thank you for the information, ______ .

<i>&quot;Thank you&quot; is another piece of fish that is effective in keeping the dolphin, I mean Fodorite, engaged. A poster is more likely to answer one of your future questions if you have thanked them for their response to an earlier question.</i>

Your explanation of ______ was helpful. Now that I understand ______, can I ask you ______ ?

<i>Happy Trails in 2007.</i>
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:51 AM

Hey thanks Judy for the tips. Much appreciated from a beginner's point of view.
Cheers
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM

Just brilliant Judy! This should be at the top of all travel forums.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Judy, as usual, your suggestions are very helpful to long-time posters and newcomers, givers and receivers alike. I admit to being more inclined to respond to posts that include the occasional &quot;please and thank you&quot;. Thank you for taking the time to jot down these thoughtful suggestions.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Very nicely put Judy. I agree it should be at the top of every forum. Remember, the more pertinent detail you provide the better advice you can be given.