Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Mom and Daughter 1st Time in Thailand - please review Itin.!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello-
Thanks to the advice, my mom (63) and I (35) have worked out the following plans for travel in Jan/Feb. Our focus is on cooking and time together while taking in sights. Can you tell me what you think?

Day 1 - Fly JFK-BKK Premium Econ on Thai Airways

Day 2 - Arrive BKK 4.45, go to Peninsula Hotel, relax, deal with jet lag - where to eat dinner? Massage?

Day 3- Half day tour with Tong in BKK (I have special interest in food, spice markets, etc). 1/2 day exploring on our own, maybe spa? Where to go aside from FACE?

Day 4 - Full day with Tong - floating market, secret place.. I probably don't need to see the tigers. But what else? Where to have dinner on our return?

Day 5 - 1/2 day cooking at Bai Pai, 1/2 day explore on our own

Day 6 - Leave for Chaing Mai on 11ish flight (is does take a long time to get from hotels to airport, right?). Arrive CM and go to Four Seasons (regular one, not tented camp). Relax, possibly go for dinner on CM. When is the night market there? I know it's 45 min, from Four Seasons...

Day 7 - Four Seasons cooking classes. Dinner in Chaing Mai or at hotel?

Day 8 - Leave Four Seasons, check in at Baan Orapin. Do full day cooking class with A Lot of Thai.

Day 9 - Full day Tour with Srgt. Kai - but where? Want to see Elephants, open to other suggestins - hills? Sleep at Baan Orapin.

Day 10 - Fly from CM to BKK, back to Peninsula for last hurrah, last exploration

Day 11 - Leave for home on 1pm flight from BKK - JFK (then fly from JFK home)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Things to consider? I really appreciate your time and thoughts...

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM

This look very good. You have clearly done a lot of research. I especially like the mix of CM hotels.

In CM, make sure you get to see Doi Suthep, it's spectacular. SK can take you to elephant rides and river rafting, but these are touristy and fun. If you want, he could probably take you to an out-of-the-way hill tribe village, but there would be a lot of hiking.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Overall. I think it's a good plan. A few things to consider: you may not be interested in dinner the first night, as you will have spent a lot of time on the plane. A massage, however, would feel great. The Pen has a spa that gets rave reviews (though it is rather expensive). That might be a nice treat for your first evening.

By all accounts, Tong is a great guide for food. No matter where else you are going, she'll find food for you. Do make sure to visit the premier sights in Bangkok- the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha and Wat Po. WHile you certainly could do these on your own, it's best to go right when they open in the morning as it's a bit cooler. As you are staying on the river, you can take a water taxi to them. So decide whether you want Tong to take you or gone by yourselves.

Places for great food in Bangkok: consider the cult favorite Chote Chitr. Do a search, you'll find lots of comments. You'll also find explicit walking instructions to find it (you'll need them). The famous dishes include a mee grob that is a revelation, a smoky eggplant salad that's superb. This is also a great place to try banana flower salad. There is another place recommended by Johnny Apple, Pen, that I haven't tried yet, but Gloria tried it and loved it. It's on my list for next trip.

In Chiang Mai, I have to say I haven't been that impressed with the restaurants. So I'd say, eat at the Four Seasons while you are there. In CM itself, the best place we ate was at the Ramchatka. They had a number of Burmese dishes that were excellent.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM

You must do the Calypso Cabaret located at the Asia Hotel. Great show!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Hi!
I just had to reply because my Mom and I have now been to Thailand together twice. I'm 39, she's 61. Traveling together is fun and for us it's "all about the food". We always search out markets, restaurants and cooking classes.

We were just in Bangkok in December and had a fantastic day with Tong. It was a highlight and the food in the floating market was some of the best we had on the trip.

You might be interested in some of the other more "local" markets we went to. There's a small one across the river from the Pen within walking distance. The other, much larger, is a boat ride up the river near Memorial Bridge. They're all on my website, along with lots of pictures of the food!
http://www.wired2theworld.com
Look at "Day 3" of the "Thailand and Cambodia 12/07" trip.
Also, my Mom spent a week by herself in Chiang Mai after I went home. She did a cooking class and spent 2 days with Sargent Kai. She also stayed at Baan Orapin. You can see that part of the trip on her blog; http://www.nickelmoon.blogspot.com

Have a great trip with your Mom!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kristina-

These are great suggestions (need to prep my mom for the boat rides, exploring on our own). And budget for some elephant-feeding money. I am still not sure what to do with Sgt. Kai...and I haven't heard back from him!

I just booked out air fare and now trying to find hotel rates....and of coure, food recommendations...

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM

bookmarking
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM

BostonWriter - Your trip looks good. Your itinerary for day four is the same one I just did with Tong's team, and you may find that you don't want dinner that night, anyway. See my trip report for the details. Tong will have you sampling delicious dishes at the market and they will cook you a feast at the "secret place".

If you do want dinner that night, I agree with Kathie's suggestions. Chote Chitr is my favorite. Pen (the restaurant) has gotten good reviews here and I really wanted to try it but ran out of time. See the recent post by ekscrunchy for a detailed review of that restaurant.

Hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I will look into the resturants...Also - what clothing will I need for the trip in Jan/Feb? I realized I might need to buy things now (spring/summer) to have them since it's hard to find lightweight clothing in the NOrtheast come winter....

Also - are there specific markets I should go to in Bangkok and CM? Certain ones on certian days?

Thanks.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM

hi i am travelling next yr with my mum 70 & my aunty 62, we want to see markets & shop & eat & sightsee. Where is the best area to stay in bangkok? budget preferably
thanks
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM

Heya red: this post is kinda old - why don't you make your own post and ask the same questions. You'll get more response, I reckon.

AND do some searching using the little box up above. Your question gets asked often - so do some checking, then get brave and start that new post. lol. Good luck with Mum and Auntie. It can be stressful taking the folks, I know. You want to get the arrangements right...
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM

Good advice from dogster. And when you make your own post - please tell us what you mean by budget - how much per room per night. We can also recommend serviced apartments that would allow all of you to stay in one apartment comfortably.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM

Kristina - Your trip report was wonderful. Thanks! We are considering driving between Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai with stops along the way. My husband wants to rent a car on our own, but it sounds like it is impossible to go to those out of the way villages that Srgt. Kai took you to without a guide and without the proper vehicle. What does he charge for his services and a driver and what is the cost for overnight trips? Do you pay for the driver and his hotel accommodations as well? If we wanted to hire him (if we could even reserve his services at this late date)how do we contact him?

BostonWriter - how nice that you will be spending this quality time with your mom. When will you be in Thailand? My husband and I arrive Jan 30th and will be staying at the Centerpoint Silom. We have also reserved Tong for a day tour on Feb 1st. Like you, we reserved some time at the Baan Orapin as well and will be there between Feb 7-10. Any overlap in our trips?

June

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM

dgunbug-I didn't go on the Chiang Mai portion of the trip so I don't really know any of the answers to your questions about Sgt. Kai, sorry.

I'm sure if you search here you will find his contact info. I think that's how my mom found him.

You may not get a reply from Boston since her original post was made in April.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM

When we stayed at the Four Seasons in CM we loved the food at the hotel. Plus the setting is so nice we did not want to leave. But...we got the cell phone number of the cab driver who took us there from the airport and used him when we want to go into the city. The Four Seasons does have transport into the city but not always on our schedule. The cab was not expensive and very convenient. Plus he took care of our laundry. The spa at the 4S was the best I have had and I have tried many.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM

The elephant ride is pure tourist but IMHO it's kinda a must if you have not done it elsewhere. I thought the river raft was not worthwhile. Nothing really to see. A real hill tribe can be interesting.