Midwest GTG

Old May 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midwest GTG

I'm going to try to set up a GTG in the Midwest. I'm in Milwaukee, and I'd prefer to have it in this area as I know the locations.
I'd like to get a feel of how many Foderites would be interested.
I'm also looking at some time in September - as all the kids would be off to school by then and I may be able to get my son (who is currently spending a year in Japan) to come with.
Would you like me to scare up a Japanese restaurant? Or would a regular restaurant with lots of choices, parking, and our own area be a better choice?
I do also have someone I work with whose family comes from India interested in attending.
So, who is up for a meeting?
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I'm from the midwest, downstate Ill to be exact. I have attended one fodors GTG (in Boston last Oct) and had such a nice time. I'm going to BOS again this year, but I am also looking at the HNL GTG, which may be scheduled for some time in Sept. The current August date may be changed.

Anyway, it depends upon the date!

Carol
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:16 PM

I live in chicago and would love to come. We could also do it in chicago if others found it easier but Milwaukee would work for me. September weekends fill up quickly for me so it would depend on the date. For me a key as to where would be transportation since I don't drive.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:25 AM

Hello Gloria!! I haven't seen any posts from you here for a while. (maybe I'm reading the wrong threads...) It's good to see your name again. BTW, there is a CM post by Kathie that is asking for your opinion. You might take a look at it.

Chicago, Milwaukee, either one would be OK for me. It's the date that makes it or breaks it for me.

Carol
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

September, October either is Ok by me. We don't want to wait too long or the weather will be crap. Man I don't want to think about that, it's just starting to get nice out.
Anyway, Chicago is good for me too. The problem is I don't know where to meet if we decide to do it down there.
glorialf - can you take the train? Maybe we can arrange to pick you up.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Just FYI: a Chicago GTG is "brewing"!

I will be visiting September 12-16, and have already 2 people to meet me there.

So... if you'd like to combine... we're thinking of a lunch on 14th. Still "thinking" for now.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:50 PM

I will be just back from BKK the week before, so could possibly make the trip to Chicago on the 14th. (I'm 3 hours away by car, slightly less by Amtrak)
Carol
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

A weekday lunch is out for me. I'd have to take a whole day off of work to drive down and I don't have enough days left since I took 12 to go to Japan in March.
Either a weekend or an evening would work for me.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:13 AM

I could meet for a weekday lunch if it is in downtown Chicago but would also find it easier to do it either on a weekend or in the evening.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I can have more then one GTG, I don't mind!

Unfortunately weekend is off unless you want to meet for breakfast - coming in on Tuesday, leaving on Saturday ~2 pm taking Amtrak.

It's 3 months away, so just pencil it in your schedules for now, and we can talk about the exact date/place later, agreed?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Coming from Milwaukee (assuming we can agree on an evening meeting) I'd really like to stay somewhat north - say Evaston?
That way I can get there in a reasonable amount of time.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to the Mitsawa Japanese Mall in Arlington Heights?
Anyways, I think I'll combine a trip there with the GTG.
Are we still looking at dinner on 9/14? What about the 15th? I can make either.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I can do either the 14th or 15th as long as it is in Chicago itself or very near (like Evanston). I don't drive so need to be able to get there by public transportation and will need to be able to take a cab home since I won't take public transportation late at night.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM

2 Fodorites can make it only to lunch on 14th, so maybe we can have a separate dinner GTG on 15th?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

The 15th sounds great, Gloria? So maybe something near the train in Evanston?
Now we just need to find a place. Any ideas?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:31 AM

This will be my first trip to Chicago, I'll be on Ohio in a hotel.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:08 AM

angethereader,
I work across the street from Mitsawa. It's not really a mall, more of a super-sized grocery store with a food court. IMO, not worth a special visit unless you really want to buy some authentic Japanese food.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Or my husband wants to buy good sake.

Our son just graduated and he's working in Schamburg, so I'm thinking of making a side trip to Mitsawa when we visit him. He's across the street from Ikea - so that's close right?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM

It's very close. Ikea is just one road over from Golf Road, a major road. With Ikea behind you, turn left on Golf Rd and go East about 2-3 miles to Arlington Heights Road. Turn right on Arlington Heights Rd, wave at the water tower on your right, as I work just under it , and Mitsawa is on your left at the next intersection.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM

This is great. We were in Thailand and Vietnam Jan/Feb this year and you were all so helpful. Just yesterday, I ticketed our trip for Jan/Feb 07 for a full month in Thailand. My husband Vince and I are in town (Chicago environs) on 14th and 15th Sept and would love to meet up with you all. Lunch or dinner is fine with us. If you are interested in meeting in Evanston, our son works there and knows all the good ethnic places to eat. I can ask him for suggestions, or the Schaumburg?Arlington Heights area is fine with us, and, of course downtown Chicago has some great eating places. We have a really wonderful Vietnamese Place we love on Argyle (sp?) st and I'm sure many of you Chicagoans have a fav Thai place. We just need to set a time and place, and lets make it easy for Gloria seeing as she doesn't drive, and she's been so helpful to us all.
Sue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -