Singapore Layover

Search

Singapore Layover

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore Layover

My fiance and I have FINALLY booked the airline portion of our November honeymoon to Bali 11-5 thru 11-16. We will be flying EWR-SIN-DPS on Singapore Airlines. We will have an approxiamte 14 hour layover in Singapore on the return flight. We arrive in SIN from DPS at 22:35 and fly back to EWR at 12:05. Any suggestions as to what we could do in during the 14 hour layover? What should we do with our luggage in the duration? Are there storage areas that allow us to venture away from the airport to do sightseeing? If so, what sights can we reasonably see during this time? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM

One of the best airports to have a layover in is SIN. We had a 9 hour layover and the time flew by. There is a hotel inside the airport where you can get a room by the hour to catch up on some sleep. if you dont want to do this, try a jet lag massage, which includes a nice refreshing shower. There is also a swimming pool on the roof of the airport, which is a good way to spend a few hours chilling. I understand also that you can arrange a coach tour of the city at the airport. Enjoy Bali and your honeymoon.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM

To be honest with that length of time I think I would book a room in a hotel.If you stay on clarke or Boat Quay you could easily hve a wander into Chinatown or Little India early morning. You would even have a chance to sample some of the nightlife.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Use the Changi Airport's website as a resouurce:
http://www.changiairport.com.sg/chan...sp?bmLocale=en

1. Stuff to do in the Airport
-Check into Airport Hotel
-They also have napping/shower areas where you pay a fee per 3 hour block
-free 24 hour movie theater
-free internet access
-pool on the roof

2. Stuff to do outside of the Airport
-the Airport has baggage lockers
-You can take a 2 hour tour of Singapore provided by the airport
-check in your bags and wander about Singapore in the evening:
go to Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, walk along Orchard Road
-check into the hotel, rest, and in the morning go to Little India or Chinatown, walk around and have breakfast.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM

What is EWR? I would check into the airport hotel which is right inside the airport. Those who are intransit qualify to stay in this hotel. The website is...airport-hotel.com.sg. The e-mail address [email protected] You can also [email protected] or [email protected] T1=terminal 1 Happy Travels!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM

The transit hotel inside the airport is VERY basic. With that much time, I'd check into a hotel in town and have a chance to see a bit and have a lovely breakfast before heading back to the airport.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:17 PM

When you take into account going through immigration/customs, getting to your hotel/checking in, checking out of your hotel, getting to the airport (allowing 2 hours for security etc.) that 14 hours gets used up pretty fast. Since you are arriving in SIN so late, why not check into a nice hotel in the city as Kathie suggests. You should have plenty of time for that great breakfast and will be all rested up for your long flight to Newark. When we did Bali, we had a layover of about 8 hours which was barely enough for some sleep at the airport hotel in Bangkok - I'm a little jealous that you have that much time.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Craig, I once did a layover like yours - arrived at midnight, flight was out at 8 am. We slept in the transit hotel and said we'd never do that short a layover again. Several times I've done a layover from midnight to noon the next day and have always gone into the city for a hotel. The whole process seemed much more civilized!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:01 AM

It IS an awkward amount of time. Too long to hang out at the airport and too short to enjoy Singapore.

I'd guess that SQ would check your luggage through from Denpasar to Newark so you don't have to claim and re-check it. For your handcarry you can either keep it with you or use the storage lockers at the airport.

You don't really want to be too well rested before a 14 hour flight so you'll have to think about how to fill up that layover. The airport transit hotel is very basic. OK for a quick nap and shower, but don't expect much. If you want to sleep, get a room in town.

There are not too many choices of activities in Singapore from midnight to sunrise, but if you're adventurous you'll be able to find some great local food. Singapore is quite safe, but it closes up early so make sure you have a specific destination in mind.

Around 5:00 a.m. it's great to go to the Botanical Gardens and see the locals doing their predawn Chinese exercises. It's also a beautiful area for a refreshing walk before a long flight. After that you could have a lovely breakfast (maybe at Raffles or the Ritz Carlton) then head out for your flight.

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I think we may in fact get a hotel room for one night in Singapore if our bags are checked all the way through to EWR (Newark airport). So now the question would be which hotel would you guys suggest that offers us the opportunity to walk around town and see a few sights and maybe check out some of the local culture/food as Marmot suggests? We do not want to be too well rested before such a long flight to Newark so anything that would occupy some of the 14 hours besides sleeping would be great. Thanks so much. I can't wait to visit Bali and I promise to write a trip report upon our return.