City-location Hotel in Bangkok with Best Pool

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for opinions on the hotel with the best pool/pool area for a city-area (vs riverside-area) hotel in Bangkok.

I've been to Bangkok many times and stayed along the riverside, so this time I want to try a whole new area of the city, but like big and sunny pools that aren't cramped and get either no or hardly any shade.

Price isn't too terrible an issue.

Pools aside, I'm considering the Meritus Suites State Tower, however. And for location would choose the Shilom area first.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM

i know you said no riverside but thought i would mention that the marriott and the sheraton have the two best pool areas in bkk hands down...

the jw marriott has a nice pool on the 4th floor but not outstanding....
how about the nei lert (former hilton) nera the american embassy....its in a big park area, may have a nice pool...most in city hotels are very limited and thus the pools are only so so....the marriott mayfair has a very nice roof top pool area
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:14 PM

The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit has an incredile pool area. It is all tropical with small waterfalls. I loved it and I am taking my son there in September. Plus the rooms are huge and the staff is wonderful. Oh and can't forget that awsome breakfast buffet.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:16 PM

you could not ask for a more central location either---right on sukhumvit near nana station if i remember correctly....

sometimes it is available on priceline...
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Hi, Bob, I've been thinking of booking thru Priceline for Bkk Sukhumvit area but am open to the JWM or Sheraton don't really want the Westin. Seems all recent awards are Westin - do you know anyone who's got the JWM or Sheraton at a good rate recently? Not yet posted on bidding for travel.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM

not sure about suk area awards but i have seen lots of westin recently...i posted on bidding with a recent winner and asked them to critique it after their stay....have you had bad experiences there?? is that why you don't want it?? i have done all my upcoming res for thailand with the hua hin site and i am very satisfied... also on boston radio this week there are priceline ads saying they are changing their operation to a more open method, but will retain the old method for "additional savings"....they were pushing packages as well---the broader market i guess...

sheryl has become so difficult with me lately that i try to avoid bidding but i read it every few days for thailand and a few other places that i have an interest in...
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Not had a bad exp - just that Westin at 80++ is not great value IMO - and their website 3 night offer for 220 i.e. 2 nights at 1110 each and 3rd night free corroborates this. The other 2 ie JWM and Sheraton are fab value at 80++. Have you tried the betternidding,com website - seem like a nice bunch of people tho less well known so less info there.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:50 PM

hobbes---i have tried it but find it frustrating as i don't know how to use it...will look at it more carefully some day...i did see a posting on bidding saying they were having moderator trouble..."while sheryl is away"---imagine it is the cracker factory she is visiting...
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for replies. I guess in looking over hotel sites until I've gone blind, I've decided to go for the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit. I hope to get back soon again, and can always try another place next time.

As for priceline and "set my own price", it's a great gamble for a great price, but since I specifically want the SGS, I don't want to gamble and end up staying at the JW or Westin this trip.

From what I see, from the great advice on www.betterbidding.com all winning bids lately are for either the Westin or JW, and not all that much a real bargain after you add taxes/feesbfst, when you compare to booking sites.

I have found a terrfic site with all fees/taxes/bfst which comes to $26 less than all the other pre-booking sites, including Priceline, so I am going to go for it.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:42 PM

WOW. What site is that?