I need help w/ Fabric shopping in China

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and Hong Kong in April. I've been looking for fabrics to have a custom bedspread and matching curtains made out of, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for yet. The stores here say they import all their fabric from China. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go to find really beautiful fabrics? They don't necessarily have to be silk, just something elegant and beautiful. Thank you!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:29 AM

Every city you're visiting has lots of fabric stores, and the department stores sell fabrics too. Your hotel front desk can direct you to the nearby ones. Not sure what kind of fabric you are looking for, silk, brocade, linen, cotton, blends, etc., one thing to consider is how to clean your bedspread & curtains? Keep in mind the fabrics exported overseas are of better quality since they are "tiers" of quality control in fabric factories. Unless you sew yourself, the cost of having them made could exceed the materials itself, have you thought of having them made in China? There are tailors that are fast and good if you venture onto the side streets, mostly in Shanghai and HK, and it depends on how long you stay. Make sure you bring the measurements.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:37 PM

The Friendship Store (there are branches in Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. Not sure about Xian, but probably) sells fabric.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:37 AM

The Friendship Stores, where they still exist, are not the best places to shop for fabric. In Beijing, for tailoring and some fabrics try the third floor of the Sanlitun Yaxiu Fuzhuang Shichang (formerly the Kylin Plaza).

Beijing people shop for silk and other fabric at
Beijing Sichou Dian (Beijing Silk Store) in an alley running parallel to Qian Men Dajie on the east side. Both fabric and tailoring services are reasonably priced. The address is Zhubao Shi 5, just south of Qian Men metro (exit C).

A colleague recommends Dahong Men Fuzhuang Shangmao Cheng, also known as Jingdu Qingfang Cheng, which offers silk, hemp, linen, cotton, denim, satin and more at wholesale prices (but most outlets will also sell by the metre). It's a bit of a trek beyond the third ring road at Nanyuan Lu. If your hotel doesn't know it, get them to call 010/6722-6658 for directions and write them down for the taxi.

There are many other choices, too.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:41 PM

If you have lots of time and energy to spend on fabric shopping, the markets Peter N_H are worthwhile -- I've been to all of them. There's lots of selection and prices are cheap -- they are also overwhelming and can be exhausting.
If you want a quick fabric stop, try the Friendship store.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 01:00 AM

In Shanghai there are two fabric markets - one for clothing and one for household items like bedding, cushions etc. (maybe there are more than two, I don't know)and seems each vendor has own tailor but you will need a little time to get them made up. Must bargain hard though.
Assume there are fabric markets in Beijing too? Maybe do it where you have the most time.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Lia

You might want to try the Silk King chain of stores in Shanghai. There are locations on Nanjing and Huahai Rds with a good selection though I'm not sure their fabrics would be right for bedding. In Hong Kong, try the Western Market on HKI. There are two floors of many fabrics and they will bargain. If you are ever in San Francisco, go to Britex near Union Square - four floors of every imaginable type of fabric! I'd be interested to hear what you find in China...
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 11:36 PM

Also, if you have time and energy(and lots of), you might want to try KeQiao,a small town about three hours train ride from ShangHai, the whole city is a fabric town and bazar, you can find all kinds of fabric there, just make sure you can have a native speaker go with you, most vedor does not speak any English I think.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 01:59 AM

Riona, can you tell us a bit more about Keqiao. Is it of interet visually, can you stay there and if so, where? Or do you just go there to buy fabrics. Silk only, or other fabrics as well. Cheaper than Shanghai markets? But even if it is, much be other interesting things to see to warrant a special trip. Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:50 AM

Fenno:
KeQiao is a small town close to HangZhou and ShaoXing, you may take the train from ShangHai to ShaoXing(about 3 hours), and take a taxi,

It's the place for clothing industry to stock up on fabric, so the price got to be lots of cheaper, and I believe they have all sort of fabric, not so sure about silk though,

If you want to buy silk, you may want to visit SuZhou and HangZhou, both the major place produce silk, and both very close to ShangHAi, since I'm about to take my first trip there next month, I can't tell you much about this town, as I heard it's kinda country town, you may not find really good hotels around there,

I suggest you visit HangZhou first, there are some major Mart for fabric and silk, and it's a beautifu city with lots of good restaurants, hotel, bars, try those famous tea bar, and also, the beautiful beautiful West Lake, and then take a taxi to KeQiao, about 30 minutes or so, not so far, but if you can't speak any Chinese, I think it's a little diffcult^-^ as most of the vedors don't speak English.