Search

Istanbul Metro for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul Metro for Dummies

Hello all. First I would like to thank teatravel for the wonderful suggestion to take the metro from the airport instead of a taxi or the hotel shuttle. I've mapped my route on the metro and I know exactly how to get to the hotel using the tram. Now here's the question for dummies.

I understand the metro uses tokens which I can buy at the airport. I assume I must put the token into a gizmo of some sort in order to board the tram, right? Or will someone be on the tram to collect the tokens?

Then I have to change lines at Zeytinburnu to the blue line, so do I need another token to board the blue line? If that's the case I will buy 2 tokens at the beginning of my journey.

Please help if you can, all advice is appreciated. And it's OK if you give me too much detail. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM

The streetcar and the metro have turnstiles for the token, the latter like any other metro system that I know of, the former having a unique system of closed off platforms even at street level. We had to pay separately at each connection: metro, funicular, streetcar, so I suspect that you will need another token when switching to the streetcar.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks Michael, I'll be sure to get 2 tokens.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM

Now, now, don’t call yourself a dummy just because you don’t know! You can buy as many tokens as you like at one time. You put one token for each ride into this gizmo slot and the turnstile will let you pass.

I was so excited to take the tram for the first time. After purchased the tokens (2) with a large bill, I put all the change (coins) in my pant pocket and stuff the bills in my purse and walked proudly to the turnstile. Husband followed. Nothing happened. The tram was already there! After several attempts, while others used the other 2 turnstiles, a young man walked over and showed me where the slot was. I looked at him and asked what slot! He asked me if I bought the tokens. I said I did, then he said you have to put the token in the slot for the stile to turn to let you in. I reached into my pants pocket and lo and behold, there were the 2 tokens!

The passengers on the tram were looking at these 2 stupid Americans and thoughts what kind of dummies were they! First mistake, I didn’t count and look at the change before I put them away. I would have seen the tokens. Second mistake, I just assumed if I paid for it, ticket seller would activate the turnstile, because he was just right there!

After that we bought 10 tokens and rode all over town here and there. We found out they don't use the same kind of tokens in Ankara.

Enjoy Turkey, no pun intended.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
P_M
Original Poster

How funny teatravel, but I'm glad a nice person came to your rescue. I'll make sure to have my tokens in hand.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM

P_M - as Micheal has said, transfers are like riding a subway system in that as long as you stay on the "paid" side of the turnstile there is no additional charge, but if you leave and re-enter a new fare must be paid unless you are using a stored fare pass.
The Istanbul version of a stored fare pass is the akbil. I works on all forms of public transport. It's a little plastic thingy with a metal disk that is read at the turnstile. In addition to free transfers, fares paid by akbil get a 10% discount, and you save scrambling for coins and tokens. This will not help on arrival, as akbil is not available for purchase at the airport, but it sure makes traipsing around easier once in the city.
http://tinyurl.com/5rwqmb and http://tinyurl.com/6zj9x7

When do you leave for Istanbul?
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks Seamus, I didn't catch the part about the "paid" side. In any case I'll buy at least a couple of tokens as they can be used later. I will only be on my own in Istanbul one day before joining my group, then we will have more time in Istanbul at the end of the tour. I'll be in Turkey Dec 3-16.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM

bookmarking
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Hi all. I have returned from Turkey and here's my report on the metro.

On the inbound I took the metro and it worked beautifully. It did take 2 tokens because you need one token for the train then another when you transfer to the tram. The total cost was somewhere around $2 US.

On the return I needed to be at the airport by 7am to catch a 9am flight. Unfortunately the tram does not start running until 6am and that's at the beginning of the line. The first tram would have come by my hotel around 6:30. In other words, by taking the tram I probably would not have arrived at the airport by 7am (2 hours before check-in) so I took the hotel shuttle. That cost 30 lire or appx $20 US plus the tip. So I do recommend the metro but not for early flights.

It was a great trip and I'll post a report soon.