Suggestions on walking shoes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for suggestions on a good pair of walking shoes. I don’t need hiking type, just something that would give me enough support for regular walking tours, cobblestones etc. I have a bum knee but can still walk fine for hours. I wore a pair of Rockport’s the last few times I toured Europe and they were “okay”. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Oh, I am a 60 year old female!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM

I find it really depends on your particular feet. Ecco shoes seem to fit mine particularly well, but they may not work for you.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM

This topic comes up every couple of months.
Here is one recent thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35102536

If you search here on <walking shoes> you will find many previous threads. Various brands are recommended by people who like them, and who didn't like the brands that other people recommend.
It depends on which brand is best for your feet. You really should try on a few pair in a local store that has walking and running shoes.
Or order from zappos.com; they have easy returns. good luck
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM

I just bought two pairs of shoes for an upcoming trip. I got Ecco sport sandals (very expensive) and New Balance trainers. I have to say that my old pair of New Balance really served me well walking for days on many European trips. I'm not sure I like the new pair as well. I have super sensitive feet and joint problems. I am walking everyday in both these shoes to break them in.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM

I love my white and dark blue Lacoste tennis shoes with crocodiles on the side. I think they are sporty and chic and VERY Everglades Club.

Thin
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM

I enjoy wearing Cole Haan Nike Airs. Now they come in many styles.

Thin,
Instead of Everglades Club, lets make that P.B. Bath and Tennis or the Lyford Cay Club or as I like to say Lifeless Cay.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM

I bought no less than 3 pair of new shoes last summer to take to Paris, but after "test driving" them, none of them made it into the suitcase. A couple of weeks before I left, I bought a pair of black leather Chanel tennis shoes and they DID make the cut. I wore them every day and, according to my pedometer, they logged 8-10 miles/day with no rubbing, no blisters, no pain. Of course, they cost the equivalent of a one-way ticket to Paris but were well worth the cost in comfort.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM

This is surely a serious challenge.

My current favorites are a pair of Merrell's (not lace-up), but I haven't been able to find that particular style on the web, so perhaps they've been discontinued.

Totally agree that what feels comfortable at first may not feel so good after a few hours of pounding the pavements.

I've learned to look for very thick soles and padded footbeds. They must feel like a dream and walking on clouds right out of the box. Nothing pokes or rubs. Perfect length (otherwise then tend to stretch and slip or slip immediately).

Actually, I have some slides I like a lot. For some reason, the minimal "flopping" bothers me less that shoes that slip. And, I've never tripped wearing them or lost one getting on a bus or subway. My current favorites (Trotters) seem to have been discontinued as well (glad I bought a "back up" pair!).

Before they go in the suitcase or I wear them on the plane, I head for a large museum or mall and walk around in them for a few hours. At the very least, all over the house all day every day for a few days (and I usually never, ever, wear shoes around the house).

In the nice weather, I prefer sandals. With any shoe that is open or partially open (slides/clogs) your feet can "breathe" and don't swell (at least mine do not). And, all my very most comfortable shoes have been sandals. In fact, I can understand now why you see so many people wearing socks with sandals! Or, sandals when it seems way too chilly out for them.

A style you can slip out of easily of the plane is advantageous as well, to avoid swelling during that trip.

I've had great luck with Zappos. Appreciate the reviews, free shipping both directions (so you can order two sizes if you're not sure), and liberal return policy.

I've also learned to spend the extra. Even if they're double what I hoped to spend, if they're perfect and comfortable (and look good too), they're worth it.

But, there are some "better" brands my feet do not like. Mephistos for one.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM

SAS is what I wear for vacation and exercise walking. I replaced my Ecco shoes with these on the advice of my orthopedist. SAS is much more supportive than Rockport or Ecco.

For further support you can buy a packaged orthodic (about $65) and replace the inner sole with the orthodic - gives more cushion for your knee.

SAS are expensive but I've had my original pair since 2003 and have had them resoled twice so they're still going strong. They come in both leather and Nubuck. I think the leather is more functional, especially for wet weather, but the Nubuck pair I have make my feet look smaller than the leather pair!

Go to a good shoe store (not a department store) and have your feet measured and ask the salesperson for a recommendation.

http://sasshoes.com/
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Obviously everyone's feet are different. I have back issues and a high arch so comfortable supportive shoes are imperative when we travel. 

I took only one pair of shoes last year for a month long trip to France and Italy and I never had problems with my feet being tired or my back hurting.  They are Dansko's Courtney.  I think you can still get them at Zappos online and also very frequently on Ebay.  A similar shoe that is great is Dansko's Margrete. 
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
tod

JCBT - Well I'm a little older, but this trip ( 10 days to go Yipeee!!)
I'm taking 2 pairs of Crocs & 1 pair of Hotters.