Rome: Apartment Agency feedback

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to book an apartment with MP Immobiliare agency for an apartment in Rome. I've googled but haven't been able to find anything about them in english.

Has anyone had an experience with them?

This is their website:
http://www.mpinternationalhouse.com

Their apartments are on VRBO. I inquired about this property
http://www.vrbo.com/151348
And they are the agency that owns it.

To hold the apartment I have 48 hrs to make a deposit (about 50%) through Bankspass (http://www.sis-bankpass.it/). Then according to the agency "Then we'll send your voucher with the exact address and allthe local numbers you need at the arrival"

I've never rented an apartment before and I'm not sure what is normal. I'm a little nervous sending several hundred dollars, not knowing anything about the agency.

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM

I used this company about 5 years ago to rent my first apartment in Rome. I hadn't really found this site or SlowTravel yet and had never rented an apartment before. I too had found it on VRBO and it was listed with this company.

They were great, everything went as it was suppose to, at that time I had to do a wire transfer, which gave me endless sleepless nights. I worried that there wouldn't be an apartment or an agency when I arrived, both were indeed there. We were late arriving at the apartment by about 1 1/2 hours and they were there to meet up with us. They do indeed have an office in Rome that I walked by one day just to make sure.

Since then I have yet to read any reviews about them and I have gone on to rent many apartments succesfully. If I were to return to Rome I would definately use them again. They were very good with emails and helping me find a nice quiet apartment in Rome.

I hope that you have great sucess with them also.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

I feel much better now about putting a deposit!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM

You're welcome.
Now let me say a few things about this apartment, good and bad.

It is very reasonabley priced for Rome and it appears very clean.I like that the floors are tile.

It is quite small, especially I bet the kitchen if you are planning to do anything more than breakfast.

The one thing I don't like about this apartment is that it allows smoking, so if you are a smoker that's great, but if not...well it is going to smell of smoke.
It is on the ground floor so I assume that people will be walking by the two windows, that wouldn't be my favorite at night if it is a busy street, I'd ask.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM

You can find some other listings for this apartment by googling "Rome studio" and exact phrase "few steps from the Quirinale". Often if you pick an exact phrase from the description, you'll find other listings.

villarenters.com shows this property as #30579 and lists the address as "Via della Panetteria 1".

It's also listed at stayrentals.com as "Trevi Studio".

If you google the exact address you'll get a couple more listings.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM

Those are good tips, Lovisa.

I don't know this particular rental. For any apartment, I would want to get the exact address of an apartment to use on mappy.com to see if it really is as near the sites as advertised.

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM

I was going to say the same thing. I would never rent an apartment if they refused to give me the exact address before paying the deposit. I have seen many apartment descriptions that claim to be near certain things, and when you check it out, they really aren't near them at all. And if they won't give the exact address, that would make me very suspicious that this would be the case.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at this and reply!

When I emailed from VRBO they told me that particular studio was not available for my dates. They said that there was a studio on the floor above that was available.

To see it go to this website
http://www.mpinternationalhouse.com
Search: Via della Panetteria 2

So with it being on the first (european) floor, that eliminates the foot traffic, which I hadn't thought of.

I'm okay with small, this looks a little more spacious than the one on VRBO, but it could just be the photos or it looks to have less furniture, it doesn't look like it has a couch. We're only going to be there a week, so compared to a hotel room I'm sure this will be fine. I don't think we'll be using much in the kitchen other than the fridge for bottled water, soda, sandwich fixings, etc.

There is no mention if smoking is allowed, I will assume it is. I don't smoke, and don't like the smell of it. The price seems so good for this area, I can't justify passing it up for that reason.

I'm a little worried too about not having the exact address. I did Google map it and the street is is on is small, not one that runs across the whole city center. So that settles my mind a little that it is definately in the area it claims.

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM

Aimee, Lovisa showed you how to find the location. Use her first link and then click the "map" tab.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

That map I believe doesn't give the correct location. It puts it right on top of the Trevi Metro stop. I'm assuming it's on the street the listing is named for?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM

OK, I looked again, I think you're right.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM

OK, I'm a little confused. I never take the metro, so I could be wrong, but is there a Trevi metro stop? Where is it? Just wondering.

Also, I can't swear to this, but in case this is something of concern to you, anything leading away from Piazza d. Quirinale, as Via Panetteria does, is likely to be quite steep, since the Piazza is up high . Just for your information.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

You're right, the metro stop is at Piazza Barberini. Google maps though calls it Barberini - Fontana di Trevi.

Good to know about the apartment being up a hill. I got that impression from the photos, so I'm sure you're right. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to follow up on this apartment after my stay.

Overall we were very pleased, it was well represented in the pics and we loved the location. Walking distance to everything and near a metro stop.

It wasn't luxurious by any means, it was clean and comfortable and roomier than all but the most expensive hotel rooms.

The agency was great to deal with, met us at the apartment and let us check in long before the official check in time. The agency rep was very helpful and carried our luggage up the steep stairs. He also took the time to go over the map with us and point out areas of interest, the best ways to get to them and places to eat and shop. A plus for us as well is that we were able to prepay by credit card before we arrived, so we didn't have to deal with withdrawing large amounts of euros as soon as we arrived. I'm sure many would not recommend this, but the risk was worth it for us.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM

whatever you do...do not use rentalsinrome.com...the apartment i rented from them was disgusting with mold on the bathroom walls. i was staying in rome during december and made sure to ask that the apartment would have heat. they told me yes. once i arrived however one of the windows was broken completely out with a plastic bag hung over it so all the cold air was coming in. also, they had a small space heater and refused to refill it once it ran out of fuel. so i froze my tail off the entire trip! then the car and driver i paid for through the rental company raised the price 20 euro once they dropped me off at the airport and the driver swore up and down that i didn't pay him the extra 20! after he was already an hour late picking us up for to go to the airport. i also have pics of the apartment to show how bad it was.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM

I'm so glad that you came back and reported how the apartment was. Good to hear that the company is still great and that you didn't find the apartment too small.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM

ignore my last message! i did NOT use www.rentalsinrome.com

I actually did use..
www.rentalinrome.com
the only difference in no S at the end of rental....

DO NOT use www.rentalinrome.com!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Yes thanks to both of you for sharing. This is the sort of post people will look at months after you wrote it when they're researching their own trips.

I'm sorry yours was a negative experience HeartoftheSouth.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM

After much consideration I have decided to "top" this post because of my original rant about the rental company I had used. I did not actually realize that the people I was speaking to did not own the property. They are basically just real estate agents...honest mistake..but...

Regardless of who actually owned the property, when I called to complain something should have been done about the broken window and no fuel for the heater. There was also nothing ever done about the "price increase" even though there was a contract. Just giving a heads up for anyone wanting to use www.rentalinrome.com

Use the company. But inspect the apartment VERY well before you allow the landlord to leave. If the apartment is not to your liking call the rental agency ASAP! Be firm with them and demand to speak to someone higher up...my problem was I was too nice about everything and kept allowing them to tell me they would have someone call me back and the people never did.

If using their car pick up service...DEMAND a receipt!!!!!!!!
The drive told it was not offered but I should have talked to the agency ahead of time to let them know I would want a receipt. (by the way, the agency hadn't opened up at that time in the morning when I was getting dropped off at the airport so my hands were tied)
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:08 AM

I always use, as completely satisfied, www.summmerinitaly.com

Always 100% available, reliable and with a huge range of apartments in the centre of Rome, too.

I wouldn't take the risk!

Go for them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -