Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice solo, 4 days, with just my camera. Advice on what to see and photo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going on a business trip to Venice next week, solo (Sat to Tue). I intend to be able to spend almost 3,5 days with just my photo camera (it's my passionate hobby.... See my photo website here: http://www.larios.gr).

I wish to get the atmosphere of probably the most beautiful place on the world and get as much awesome photos as possible.

What would you suggest? What itineraries? Which paths, alleys and what "hidden" beauty? Should I visit Burano? How to approach my visit?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM

I'm sure you will get some specific advice but to me every bit of Vencice is a photo op. It is the most amazing place and you don't need to look for things or places to photograph. It's all right in front of you. Bring lots of memory for your camera. And please post a report for us with those wonderful pix.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Of the lagoon islands I would visit Torcello rather than Burano
http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/02/1.../19dayout.html
the cemetery on Isola San Michele should also be interesting to a photographer
definitely take a vaporetto trip along the Grand Canal to get the view of the buildings along it.

The whole city is beautiful so you should wander through as much of it as possible
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I could not put my camera away for a minute while in Venice! One of my favorite bunch of photos was at the fish/produce market in the morning right on the canal. I took many pictures of the people who live there doing what they do. I took a picture of a woman at her window tending to her beautiful window boxes and then attempted the same wherever I went. I took a few pictures of the doors of homes, buildings and that turned into a lot of photos. Each doorway has the most beautiful detailed wood and mason work around it and the door handles were all unique. Took pictures of everywhere we ate too so I wouldn't forget. Also some displays of food in windows was something I couldn't explain when I got home, so took a picture. I love my pictures!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Yeah, Venice is a photographer's dream - so much to shoot, not just the boats and the canals but streets, the people, etc. When I visited a few weeks ago, I had my tripod with me and went out at night trying to capture Venice at dark, too. I'm still processing my pictures from my whole trip so I can't show them to you yet - although I put some on my facebook account ("portlandbridges&quot.

Burano is very picturesque, yes, but it was a very long boat ride out there from Venice.

I would just wander around and get lost, really, and shoot whatever catches your fancy. I would advise getting away from the main tourist areas, however, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding the "atmosphere" you seek there.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have my own Venice photos framed and up in my living room too! They're gorgeous, and mine were just shot with a panoramic disposable camera. hard to go wrong in Venice.

I was there solo for 4-5 days myself. I just wandered around the central part of the city every daym without a plan. I didn't go to the islands so can't comment on them, only that if I did want to get there I'd allow a longer time total for Venice.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Larios,
Your photos are magnificent! The light is so sweet!
I'm heading back to your site for another long look!

I'm in Venice often..here are a few of my favorite spots.
First I must say....get a map!
*From Campo San Maurizo head south down Calle del Dose da Ponte. The view of the Grand Canal toward Santa Maria della Salute is wonderful!
*off Sal. San Giovanni Grisostomo there is a tiny calle, del Remer...at the end you'll find a beautiful view of the Rialto bridge.
*Fond, del Rimedio..opening up to Campo Querini Stampalia has some beautiful light in the early afternoon, at this time of year.
*Dorsoduro and Guidecca also have a special autumn light in the late morning and early afternoon.
*Night shots are wonderful too.

Burano and Torcello are wonderful...but there is so much to see in Venice that I'm not sure I'd take the time to explore the other islands. Well...it is a wonderful experience taking the vaporetto across the lagoon....on second thought........

You will love the magic....Venice is so photogenic!

www.pbase.com/baileyzim
Some of my images were taken at the above locations.

Maybe our paths will cross....I'll be in Venice form the 4th Nov.

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Well, Yannis and Bailey, you have occupied a bit of my morning time. Thank you both for sharing your beautiful photographs.

I would like to add my Venice photo, too.

http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...ardsItaly.html
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM

lovetotravel: your pix are wonderful. Wow.

(Yannis and Baily, I'm not slighting your pix, haven't seen them yet).
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Agree with everyone else, but our few favorite photos are:

1. Grand Canal from Accademia bridge, especially in morning light with light traffic, just few local boats/gondolas - no tourists.

2. GREAT ONE - The gondola repair shop after it was closed & all was still (location is on the other side of the canal in front of shop) - the gondolas turned all which ways on the land; the absolutely quaint & pretty residence of the owner, I guess, with flower boxes & laundry hanging. I don't remember the address, but someone on here knows it, I am sure.

3. Burano - truly amazing colored buildings on the canal. Everyone who sees these photos are amazed at the colors & the quaintness.

4. Cimitero Island - May seem strange, but awesome. Free vaporetto to & from F.Nove, or stop on way to Burano. We missed some amazing photos because we went on Sunday & there were so many mourners there & we did not want to be disrespectful. The graves were drowning in color - fresh flowers everywhere. There are hundred of years old crypts with stained glass, a Pieta replica, & much more - amazing. There is a removed, overgrown, walled area of "foreigners". Mostly English from the late 1700's/early 1800's. The character of the old not so well tended graves & craggy trees is awesome.

5. A special spot is the residential area of S.Elena. Wonderful parks, lots of elderly Italians walking about, Venice residences, lots of trees. In Oct. the tree colors were bursting! From S.Marco, follow the Grand Canal road heading East. Turn Left onto Via Giuseppe Garibaldi (very wide street). Walk not too far to the iron fence & gate on the Right. Turn right, go thru the gate, & you will face the most amazing fountain. It is so old & dripping with moss - great photo. Continue behind the fountain & you will be on a long tree lined street (pedestrian, of course) that ends at the Grand Canal. Stand there, walk the length, & take your shots -this is our favorite Venice photo. The colorful trees & leaves on the ground, the residences on each side flanked by iron fence, the canal at the end. At the water end of that street, turn left & follow the canal further into S.Elena. There is another park there, lots of residences, etc. Great undiscovered part of Venice.

6. Did not make it to the top of the bell tower in San Marco Square, but I would think that is a great spot.

We mounted some of our special pictures in a special way. We bought plastic box frames. Gel glued (for photos glue from Michaels) the photos, wraping the photo (& the color!) on all 4 of the 2 inch thick edges; photos with matte finish. Looks like an unframed painting on a painters canvas. Also, Walmart will digitally transfer a photo to a painter's canvas for $120.

Take very large & numerous memory cards!!!!

Have fun, Julie
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Larios - your slide show of Santori is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing your site. Based on what I've seen so far, you will have no problem finding the essence of Venice to photograph. And I can't wait to see your results.

I agree that Venice is one place where you do not really need any type of itinerary. Just wander. And do go to Burano, it doesn't take that long and offers a slightly different look than the rest of Venice. I have photos of Burano in my Venice gallery at www.pbase.com/annforcier

Thanks again for sharing your work.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM

"Great undiscovered part of Venice."

Not for long. Thanks, JulieAgain. ;o)

Larios, can't wait to see your Venice photos!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM

I went to your site. You have a terrific eye. You will find much in Venice to capture. I see that most of your photos are outdoors. If you want to shoot indoors in Venice, you'll find that most of the churches do not allow photos.
Spend some time in Cannaregio and Castello. We were there early this month and especially enjoyed visiting "Tintoretto's church," Madonna dell'Orto. We also saw Tintoretto's house near Campo dei Mori. The first floor had been gutted and workers were replacing some of the wooden supports. But people were living on the second floor, as evidenced by the flower pots and window boxes.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM

The desire to somehow "capture" Venice on film can be so consuming you almost have to stop once in while just to enjoy actually being there.

My favorite things are gondolas at night (all glittering from reflections or wrapped in their blue covers), laundry stretched on lines between buildings in the area near the Jewish ghetto, bridges, the bottoms of buildings where water has washed away parts of doors, etc (sad, but beautiful) and Burano.

Your work is wonderful. You will love Venice.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Yannis, judging from your photos, you will have no trouble finding poetic views ...

An interesting but seldom mentioned aspect of Venetian light applies indoors ... A Venetian room will tend not to have a window in the middle of the wall, but at the opposite ends of the wall. Thus the light flows across the adjacent walls direct from the window, throwing everything into relief. One of Bailey's pics (insde a hotel) illustrates this. So try to do the same and get some interior "views".

Also, if you all search for fodorite TRSW, he has a great online album including very pretty Venice views.

And to yannis larios, see if you can find the American film "Summertime" with K. Hepburn and Rosanno Brazzi - filmed by David Lean. It is a glorious moving album with Venice as the central character.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Larios-if you get off the vaporetto at Ca d'Oro stop, in Cannaregio, turn right on the Strada Nuova, and then, at the first campo, start going towards your right, deeper into Cannaregio, particularly around the Cannaregio canal-you can get some great shots from the Cannaregio bridge out to the islands (and even, if the air is very clear, some absolutely gorgeous views of the snow capped Dolomites-really awesome). Also, try to go over to the Ghetto area on Saturday afternoon for the Shabbat meal-they usually have tables set up next to the Cannaregio canal for the kosher meal at Gam Gam-Venice's only kosher restaurant-that is an interesting sight, all the tourists, and local Venetians orthodox Jews joining in the meal canalside, and indeed, the entire Jewish ghetto area is very photo-worthy.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM

Hi Larios - your photographs are excellent (I think I saw your posts once or twice at Dpreview). From the quality of pictures and your ability to capture light I'm sure that you will come back from Venice with great photos.
One word of advice - take a tripod and wander there at night, Venice is gorgeous at night, very beautiful and mysterious.

Have fun,
Oleg.
www.Olegis.com
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Such great photos here! I'm enjoying this thread.

I second Olegis mention of a tripod, in fact I bought the one he reco'd - the Manfrotto 709.

Here are some photos I took of Venice with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalk...7600608855269/

Here is one without a tripod - you should find things to climb for certain!

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM

ttt
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

@gomiki:
thanks for the tip! I intend to take also with me an EPSON portable 40GB HDD so as to be able to capture the most!

@vttraveler, @suze:
Thanks!

@ljc4creb:
I have already seen this fish market in photos and looks promising. I will try to visit it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -