Lisbon inside tips

Search

Lisbon inside tips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon inside tips

I saw today the 1st chesnuts sellers this year in Rua Augusta.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Have you seen my ex-husband, Rogerio, driving around Lisboa in a limo? I think he owns the only limo in all of Portugal.

He has not answered any of my letters. I hope he is OK.

Thingorjus
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Does this signal the changing of the weather?

I think Fall is finally upon us, also.

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

If I see Rogerio, I'll say him hello from you.
Sher, we have had frequent showers since Monday but the temperature has not dropped yet.
President Putin is today in town for the inauguration of a branch of Hermitage Museum outside Russia. There will be 600 selected pieces in display.
http://www.golisbon.com/blog/2007/10...-ajuda-palace/
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

860 years ago, the 1st king of Portugal (Afonso Henriques) and his Anglo-Norman and Flemish friends took the city of Lisbon from the Muslims, who had ruled it during the previous 400 years. The siege lasted for 4 months. Sintra and other neighbour castles were taken ate the same time.
The comemoration includes an historical reconstitution of Portuguese and Crusaders entering the Saint George castle. It will be performed at 6pm, local time.
Osbernus, a foreigner eyewitness wrote an account of what he saw during that campaign and some parts survived up to the present day..
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/cap-lisbon.html
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

6 female fado singers (Aldina Duarte, Maria da Fé, Raquel Tavares, Mafalda Arnauth, Beatriz da Conceição e Joana Amendoeira) are performing Thursday 1st November in Queen Elizabeth Hall (London).
I would go if I could.

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Tradition is not anymore what it used to be.
Since the dawn of ages, castanhas (chesnuts) were wrapped up in phone directory pages, but a new regulation says that they must be wrapped up in white (no printed) paper. I don’t think public healt could be jeopardized in any way since castanhas must be peeled off before eaten.
BTW castanhas cost 2 euros/each 12 units, which I think is a good price. In Baixa/Chiado area there are at least 2 sellers, one in Rua Augusta and another one in Chiado, just off Brazileira Café. I’m sure in Rossio Sq or Praça da Figueira Sq there should be more.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm guessing that at the dawn of time there were no phone directories in Lisbon, and that when they started wrapping chestnuts in phone directories, the traditionalists lamented the coming of modern times.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:42 AM

These castanhas thing bring me some memories...LOL. We used to have some sellers here but they retired from business (an age question) and no one wanted to follow. Now, they make them on the All Saints "Feria" (a temporary amusement park) but they sell them much more expensive...two euro is a bargain
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Nikki, our friend Heraclitus used to say "There is nothing permanent except change"
Kendy, this is a very good reason for you to come to Lisbon. Being castanhas such a bargain, you may spare a few euros comparing to the money you'd spend in feria de todos los santos.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:40 AM

I bought roast chestnuts twice on my visit to Lisbon in March. I was a bit surprised to see them, as it seemed late in the season, but they were were very nice.

The first ones were wrapped in lined school notepaper (what we call "college rule" in the U.S.), purchased on Rua Augusta. The second packet was in plain white food service paper, purchased on a cold and windy day right outside the metro at Amoreiras. Nice and hot, just the thing.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

No relation with Lisbon or even with travel, but I couldn't refrain myself from posting this brief History of Western Thought
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=moWZm66J_yM
Have fun
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Sud-Express train (Lisbon to/from Paris) completes 120 years this November. Sud-express began in 1887 departing daily from Santa Apolonia station. In the very beginning it was necessary 3 days to reach Paris, using steam engines.
The period inter world wars saw an increasing luxury in Sud-Express. Meals were served in fine china with real silver silverware. By this time 1st class ended in Estoril. Just before 2nd world war and during the war itself itself, Sud-Express transported many thousands of refugees from the madness Europe had fallen and seeking for a safe heaven in the Americas. After the war, with the increasing popularity of air travels, and the availability of cars to the middle class, the Sud-Express lost some of its charm. Today it’s used more by backpackers and low income expat workers.
Sud-Express has never given up to the zeitgeist allowing pre-cooked catering on board. Although most of charm is gone, all meals served on board are really cooked on train’s kitchen in the same way as they are cooked in any grounded restaurant.
In present days Sud-Express doesn’t ride all the way from Santa Apolonia to Paris, but in ends in Hendaye, in the Spanish/French boarder, and passengers must rely on the TGV to fulfill the French section of the travel.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

I spend a few minutes chating with a gentleman from Congo, asking for directions. We used my favourite language Words of Portuguese/Spanish/French/English/Gestures mixed together sometimes in the same sentence.
When there is the will to communicate, there are no language barriers.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Not sure if I should put this message in this thread, but here goes: we (two couples in their 30s and two kids, 1.5 and 2.5) are coming to Lisbon Nov 21-25. We would really like to take in a fado performance, but I know that it can be a problem with the kids. Any suggestions for places that start early, or are kid-friendly or anything like that?

Thanks!

PS: Lobo, I had been in touch with you about this before, any tips would be handy, thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Econmom, believe it or not we are eating out in a fado club next 22nd with some fodorite fellows.
Your little ones may be a problem by two reasons:
First, fado clubs are always full of smoke, second reason is that you can not guarantee that your kids don't start crying or speaking or doing anything like kids usually do, during the fado perfomance itself and that will be very embaracing to you.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:53 AM

I agree with lobo, econmom: even adults find it difficult to remain as absolutely quiet as is considered polite for a fado performance, and the performers and staff will not hesitate to call you on the carpt over it, and you'll compromise the evening for others in attendance.

So, a babysitter would be in order if you are comfortable with that option, or one of you could go out while the other stays in.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM

thanks!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

This is the highest expression of the Portuguese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ha2...eature=related

The music is from Alfredo Duarte “Marceneiro”
The lyrics are from Amalia herself and she is speaking to her own heart:

“If you don’t know where you are going to, why do you stubbornly bleed?”
“I cannot run anymore after you”

PS: The “heart” means emotion, by opposition to the the head (the reason). The Fado lyrics has roots in the Greek classic tradition and this opposition of “head” vs “heart” is meaningful in this context
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

After Saint Martin's Summer, we have a typical winter day (rain, wind and cold) all over Portugal.
Distinguished guests are invited to bring a raincoat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -