Erzgebirge Mtns.

Search

Erzgebirge Mtns.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erzgebirge Mtns.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Germany in December. We have been several times and are debating whether to return to Salzburg, which we love, or to try the Erzgebirge Mtn. region, for a new experience. We will be in Nurnberg for several days so we really only have time to do one or the other. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM

These two are completely different. Erzgebirge means rural area, small towns and villages. Salzburg is a city (albeit relatively small).

The Erzgebirge is famous for its wooden Christmas (and Easter) items as you probably know. It *is* fun to see the manufacturing process and buy where they are produced. Also, if there is snow (and usually there is in December, not last year, but it was an exception) it has a special magic. Many local traditions are worth to see - like parades. Went to one with my American friends last December in Seiffen and it was a fantastic experience.

A combination with Dresden would make it a perfect trip.

On the other hand, Salzburg is very beautiful, too ...
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM

I agree with Ingo. It depends on if you want a "city" or "country" experience.

The Erzgebirge is rural and not for people who need the support structure of a city. It is gorgeous is December and you will feel like you are walking in a German Christmas card. It is defintely the place if you are interested in handcrafted wooden items. You'll see where the wonderful items you see in the Christmas markets are actually made.

Since you have already been to Salzburg, I recommend the Erzgebirge.

Happy travels.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

can you recommend any hotels in the Erzgebirge Mtn area? Are the prices for the hand crafted items any different that in the cities with the large markets?
Many thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Such decisions!! Many thanks for your input.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM

I could give you tips on the Erzgebirge. Hotels and things to do etc. - but I am about to leave for my U.S. trip. I'll be off for three weeks (back 16 Oct) so you'll have to wait. In the meantime, do a search here - I think last year or two years ago there was a longer and quite detailed thread about the Erzgebirge.

*The* Christmas town in the Erzgebirge is Kurort Seiffen. Hotel Wettiner Höhe is very good.

The hand crafted wooden items are indeed cheaper than on the Christmas Markets in the big cities. Not *that* much, but still ... And in Seiffen e.g. you have a very large variety of stuff. You'll also see things that you don't get to buy at Christmas Markets in the big cities.

Ingo
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM

I highly recommend Seiffen. And it was the only Christmas market where the gluwine cup was off white. (1 euro) - the other interesting cup was in Wurtzburg where it was very thin glass - very nice. As Ingo said, the selection of wooden items is amazing.I would also recommend Weimar, fascinating town and the Elephant Hotel is wonderful. I visited those last year along with Dresden and Lauscha, where we visited one of the factories where they have made glass ornaments for over 100 years. And the prices were very good, not to mention the selection. Not eexactly in the Erzgebirg but close enough to combine on a trip. Have a great time. CJ
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:02 AM

Thanks Ingo (and everyone else who posted). We're printing this one out as well as the recent Dresden restaurant thread, we are *desperate* to get to Dresden as soon as time and budget allow (and as soon as I get my UK driver's license which is delayed by the fact that I have to mail off my passport to Swansea to get a provisional license and we've been traveling too much for me to give up my passport for a couple to several weeks, depending on caseload).

I've read that Marienberg is a significant furniture producing town...is that true? What kind? Can you visit retail showrooms there or are they selling only wholesale or "to the trade"?

How is Schneeberg around December? And what are the chances of it living up to its name and having some snow on the ground?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:56 AM

When we went to the area during the advent season, we encountered a snow shower in Schneeburg durung the evening. It left a good 1-2 inches. This was on are way to Seiffen. Which it then snowed very lightly for the next two days when we were there. The market in Seiffen is open on weekends only. Of course the town is open everyday. The area is popular with eastern Europeans and there will be some tour groups there. I would recommend that you take a drive through a couple of villahes etc to see the bogens in the windows at night a very pretty sight.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses. Is the Ergebirge Mtn. area a good place to travel in the Fall or should I really go during the Advent season? I am a bit concerned about the possibility of snow and the roads, because I think that it is an area to experience best by car.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Don't worry about driving in Dec. Roads are always cleared quickly after snow fall. Definitely go in Dec. More later when I am back home.

Ingo
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Ingo,
I hope that your trip to the US was wonderful. I live in SC near Charleston, next time do come here.
I have many questions.
We have decide to travel to the Erzebirge region. We arrive on Friday, 29 Nov 07 @ 10:30. My husband wants to take a train from the airport toward Erzebirge. We usually pick up the car at the airport in FRA. We are always tired, so he would rather not drive. So, looking at the map, I wondered if Hof would be a good place to stop for the night and pick up a car the next day. We do love small quaint villages and I am open to any suggestions. We do need a city large enough to pick up a car.
I am thinking of an schedule as follows:
29 Nov-3 Dec Erzebirge
(thinking of staying at Hotel Gasthof Stern in GoBweistein near Erlange, recommended at Bavarian Ben's website on 3 Dec in route to Nurnberg) We do not have reservations in the Erzebirge area
4 Dec-7 Dec Nurnberg (Plan to stay at Romantik Hotel am Josephsplatz--have stayed at The Elch in the past)
7-Dec Back to FRA and go to Christmas Mkt
8-Dec Return to USA
We have stayed in Waldorf in the past, not far from the airport, but the last time the hotel had changed hands and was very disappointing. The last time in Germany we got lost the night before we were to fly out looking for gas. We were in a small town not far from the airport that had a lovely gasthof and would love to find that information. Do you have any suggestions in the FRA area?
I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions that anyone might have. Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM

Hi vanne,

sorry, but I have no experiences with Frankfurt and the area at all. I am sure others can help, maybe start a new thread on this.

Hof is a possible place for the first night. But I think somewhat closer to the Erzgebirge would be better. What about Plauen? Zwickau?

You should book asap accommodation for the Erzgebirge. December is peak season there and the hotels sell out quickly.

The itinerary sounds very good to me. You'll get to see some very nice Christmas Markets and certainly experience some nice German Christmas ambience.

I.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks
Any suggestions on hotels in the Erzgebirge area?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
bookmarking
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM

Which price range?

In an earlier post I recommended Hotel Wettiner Höhe in Seiffen - it's really a good choice, especially because Seiffen is *the* most famous small town for Christmas items.

http://www.wettiner-hoehe.de/

Another good choice is e.g. Parkhotel Schwarzenberg (this is a beautiful small town in the western part of the Erzgebirge)

www.parkhotel-schwarzenberg.de

I am not sure when the Christmas Markets in Seiffen/Schwarzenberg open. Late November/first days of December is maybe a little early. But even w/o the open Christmas Markets you'll have the chance to do shopping in the regular Christmas item shops and see the open workshops.

The largest town and centre of the Erzgebirge is Annaberg-Buchholz. Their Christmas Market opens 30 Nov. Highly recommended! Hotels in this town e.g.:
www.hotel-wildermann.de
(right on the market square)
www.parkhotel-waldschloesschen.de
(a bit outside, quiet)

These are relatively pricey (at least for this region) and there are of course less expensive options. Don't know what you're looking for!

I.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Ingo,
I would like to find accomodations less expensive if possible. I love small hotels that are quaint and have character. I have e-mailed to try and find the starting date for the Seiffen market. Any other hotel/gasthaus or other accomodation suggestions that you have, I would very much appreciate.
The reason I was looking at taking the train to Hof was because of the car rental. Avis has a location in Hof. I will look at cities closer to Erzgebirge, if possible. Thanks
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

The time is fast approaching and have a few more concerns...HELP!
Flight to FRA arrives at 1030, plan to take a train to either Hof or Chemnitz (chosen because of Avis pick-up site).Looking at the bahn.de site there is a normal fare 77Eur and a savings fare 29Eur--big difference. Needless to say, I would like the 29Eur fare.Other folks have said to purchase the train tickets when arriving at the station, should this be a problem to get the lower rate? I am a bit hesitant to purchase ahead due to unforseen delays.
What are the "do not miss" villages in Erzgebirge other than Seiffen? Ingo has relayed several possible sites for accomodations and I am awaiting their reply. Does anyone have any favorites or suggestions? We like small quaint accomodations eg gasthaus.
We are planning to arrive in the region on 30 Nov (late in the day) and leave 3 Dec; will that be enough time in the area. We have reservations in Nurnberg starting 4 Dec for three nights.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Bookmarking

Vanne49 - how was your trip? I'm thinking of doing one similiar to yours in the Erzgebirge region. Thanks