Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice tourist traps: Cafe' Florian, Harry's Bar and Gondola ride....would you or won't you? Did you?

Venice tourist traps: Cafe' Florian, Harry's Bar and Gondola ride....would you or won't you? Did you?

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's our first trip to Venice and I'm wondering what YOUR thoughts are on these experiences (would you, won't you, did you, won't do it again, would do it again in a heartbeat):

1) Cafe' Florian. Was it worth it TO YOU to have a very expensive drink to hear the music at this legendary icon? Why or why not?

2) Harry's Bar. Just for a Bellini only (we'd rather eat elsewhere). Why or why not?

3) Gondola Ride. Why or why not. (we're definitely doing it...just would love to hear your thoughts!)

Ciao!

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM

1) Didn't do it because I haven't heard of it. Did I mention my Venice guidebook was very tiny and uninformative?

2) Harry's Bar - didn't do it. We walked by during the day and it was closed, and we never got around to it at night. I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

3) Gondola - didn't do it. Once we got there and saw people riding around in them, it just didn't seem worthwhile. If I had it to do over again, I *might* do it. If I had unlimited vacation funds, I would definitely do it, just because, well, why not?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Florian in 1999. No Florian on this trip. You don't really need to sit down to hear the music. I guess it's good to do once.

Gondola ride on this trip. Also thought it was a bit of a waste -- but then, again, I think it's good to do once.

No Harry's Bar. Maybe on a future trip?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Two trips to Venice and no to all 3. Just have other ways to spend my money.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM
yk

Only did the first - actually, I don't think sat at Florian, but one of the other cafes on San Marco (just as expensive). We went after dinner and between the 2 of us, we had 1 gelato, and I had a pot of tea. The total came out to € 35. Was it worth it? Yes, I think so. We were on our honeymoon at that time. Probably won't do it again.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:25 AM

No, no, and no.

I think all three have become expensive tourist-trap products, and I find that a turn-off. Would you expect to encounter Venetians using them?

As you have decided to blow €80 on a gondola ride, let me point out to you that a gondola is only a bloody rowboat.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I wouldn't rec. Harry's Bar. I went there on my first trip - found the bar cramped and lacking atmosphere. I was disappointed.

You have to do the gondola ride, try to stick to the smaller canals, we loved that.

Will be in Venice next month, we plan to visit Cafe Florian or one of the other places to hear music. Ridiculously expensive, but we think it will be a nice memory. And after walking all day it will be nice to sit and listen to music for a few hours.

Enjoy your trip..
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Weekender

Harry's Bar is claustrophobic and lacking in any atmosphere. Walk by, pop your head in and leave. Have a drink outside at San Marco and people watch-very entertaining.

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:28 AM

1)Yes. It gets pretty tiring walking and standing all day. Being able to sit over a drink, listen and people watch was well worth it as my feet were killing me.

2)Didn't do it.

3) I thought it was totally worth it but also was on my honeymoon. Totally different view of the city. Just find out what the government set price is (this varies-day versus night,etc.) so you don't get ripped off.

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Returning to Venice in November. Previous visits never did gondola but we plan to do it this time, as we are celebrating a significant anniversary and figure that justifies the cost. Only live once and all that, right?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, a'seeker,

florians - did it on first visit with DH over 25 years ago. would i do it again? - only if I were so tired I couldn't go another step, but it is fun, especially when they are competing with another orchestra.

Harry's Bar - never done it in 3 visits.

Gondola ride - almost did it on our last visit; may well do it next. better value if four of you can share.

regards, ann
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Florian...yes

Harry's...no

Gondola ride..absolutely because it was fun and certainly, as much as anything, is a "symbol" of Venice..both the boat and the fact that the Venetias have always been masters of the "commerce" game.

Tourists do certain things and flock to certain places for a reason.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
jgg

Haven't done Florian or Harry's Bar, but did do a gondola ride and LOVED it!! It is a wonderful way to experience the city. Try to do the smaller canals AND the Grand Canal - fun to go from one to the other. So what if it's touristy?? I've also been on a camel trek in the Sahara and plan on riding an elephant in Thailand this March - how else can we have these fun experiences?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved our gondola ride, and we might do it again.

Haven't had a drink at the Florian, but I wouldn't rule it out for our trip next June.

Looked inside Harry's, didn't do anything for me, hustled back to our hotel and had moonlight drinks on the deck on the canal for 1/3 the price.

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM

1. If it's a pretty evening I would say yes.
2.We went to Harry's Bar on our first trip to Venice and it was quite a letdown. There was no atmosphere and the only thing we got out of it was the story to tell of how expensive it was.
3. Yes. Sure it's touristy and expensive but it really is worth it. I think it's more beautiful to go at night.
IMO Venice is the most magical city I've visited.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
kja

No, no, and no - better ways to spend my money and way to much else to see and do in Venice (including just walking around and riding on the water taxis).
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Each time I go to Venice I sit either in Florian or Cafe
Quadri and I enjoy being there. Sometimes they have not been playing music so I enjoy them as well.
The Florian is amazing inside, those red velvet and golden plush banquettes like it was in the XVII
century. I fancy the days that Casanova might have been there, or so many other in their the rigeur visit to ITaly. Like may be Goethe. It is not expensive for what they are, for where they are located. I have been in Venice during the WInter, and I have found both cafes quiet and half empty, even better.
I am glad that the Venecian authorities have finally reacted and now they try to impose some decorum and common sense in the Piazza San Marco. By decorum I mean to forbid people to abuse of the beautiful space of the piazza and let the rest enjoy the privilege of being there.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Florian - no
Harry's - no
Gondola - twice. First visit to Venice with mi Chica and then young (10 year old)son. We went during the day for almost an hour. We enjoyed the ambiance and the canal view perspective. Best was the Gondolier who kept up a commentary on what we were seeing - he was a great guide - that alone was worth the price. My son who is now in his 30's still has that memory.

The second time was with DD and we bought tickets to an evening gondola caravan. That is an arrangement where a group of gondolas go out together and they are shared. That was great fun. There was an accordian player and an old man who sang with the widest vibrato I ever heard. For the two of us, the price was about 2/3 the cost of booking an individual gondola.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Harry's Bar I've done 6 of the past 7 visits and only didn't do it the 7th because I didn't know you couldn't wear shorts there. My husband had them on -- long jean shorts and it was our last day with a train leaving shortly so we didn't have time to go home and change. It was our first time there in summer so it never came up before since we have always gone in October/November/December hence always had long pants or a skirt on. Maybe I just go out of nostalgia at this stage -- my parents took me there once as a kid and explained to me its rich history. The Bellinis are not only expensive, but TINY, so be warned. The restaurant is actually very highly regarded but VERY expensive. I've never actually had a full meal there but we did order the grilled ham and cheese sandwich as a snack to share both in Venice and in NY's Grand Central Station and thought it was delicious. If you don't eat there, definitely pick up one of the cookbooks -- we've made many of the dishes and they have all been to die for even when made by an amateur like myself. If you're lucky, you'll see Harigo there himself -- he does spend every night there when he is in residence from my understanding -- we caught him there once and he was very friendly -- we were sitting next to his table where he was showing the prototype of his canned Belinis to either a friend or investor/business partner -- not sure which! He even offered us a taste!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Oh, and his name is Arrigo, not Harigo as I thought. You can see more about the history here: www.cipriani.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -