Search

Vienna, Austria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna, Austria

We will be in Vienna for 2 days...suggestions? Can anyone recommend a guide to take us around for one day?
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Go to your library and take out a couple of guide books that cover Vienna. Make a list of what appeals to you. It is an extremely easy city to navigate.

1. Tram ride around the ring.
2. St. Stephens
3. Opera
4. Schloss Schonbrunn
5. Kunsthistorisches Museum
6. A musical program (those in churches are excellent).
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM

We were in Vienna for 2 days in March. I really enjoyed a visit to the Naschtmarkt, the Hofburg Palace (including the Sisi Museum) and Schonbrunn Palace. It's a beautiful city and we liked just walking around.

I have a blog of the trip if you're interested:
http://wired2theworld.blogspot.com/
The Vienna portion begins with the entry called "Location, Location, Location" in March.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Rick Steves' guidebook has a lot of good info on Vienna. You can also get some tips from his website:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...a/aus_menu.htm
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 01:34 PM
GBC

We were just in Vienna. Eyewitness puts out a little guidebook call the Top Ten for Vienna (also for other cities). We thought that this guide, and the maps included, were the best available for a quick visit. It also includes hotels and restaurants.

Other than St. Stephens, the spot that impressed us most was probably the Hapsburgs' Treasury.

You can Google for a Guide and I think Rick Steves offers some suggestions. It is, however, a very walkable city with a compact historical center and an easy to use metro system.

With two days I would omit the Schonbrunn which is impressive but way out of town. Also omit the zoo at Schonbrunn which, in our view, was not very good.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way out of town? I recall it being about 15-20 minutes on a tram or bus.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM

GBC, can't agree with you about Schoenbrunn. It's the Versailles of Austria! Besides, it's only a short ride on the UBahn. You can do the audio tour in about an hour or so. You don't have to do the zoo but a hike up to the Gloriette behind the Palace is rewarded with an amazing view over the city.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Schönbrunn Palace is easy to reach. The U-Bahn stop is a short walk from the entrance for a normal walker.

I have been through the palace twice, and the second time was better than the first. I used the audiophones and thought they were OK. I could stop and start when needed.

By the way, I like Barbara in CT's list. I can the Belvedere and possibly the famous Lipizzaner horses.
The formal presentations are sedate exhibitions of horsemanship; no Cossack style theatrics, at least not when I was there.

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM

ttt
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 03:53 AM

The Kunsthistorisches museum has a spectacular collection, one of the great art museums of Europe

The core of the old city around the Stephansdom to the Danube is an interesting area to explore on foot. I agree with Barbara in CT about taking a tram ride around the ring

Try to stop at one of the traditional cafes for coffee (and pastry) and atmosphere. Cafe Landtmann was Freud's favorite

The heurigen (wine garden restaurants on the outskirts of the city serving local wine) are fun, if touristy, in the evening.
http://www.virtualvienna.net/communi...int&sid=83
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:49 AM
GBC

I'm sorry that I've caused some confusion about Schonbrunn. Perhaps our timing was bad. When we arrived, the wait just to get tickets was approx one hour. We also purchased the audioguide but it was so crowded that progress through the tour was very slow. There is so much to see in Vienna that, to me, for a visitor with two days, there might be better options.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:36 AM

I agree! If the line at Schönbrunn was that long, I am not sure it would be worth it.

On my two visits, the line was minimal. We went on a week day in early September.

I remember the crunch at Versailles. We got there before the ticket window opened, but the tour bus hoards soon caught us. The Hall of Mirrors was so full of bodies that it might as well have been the A Train at rush hour in New York. Only I could not find a hanging strap!!

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM

As with any popular tourist attraction during the peak travel months, you should get there early. The last time we visited Schoenbrunn was in mid-May and there were no lines because we got there right after they opened.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM

I think the Belvedere Palace is a "don't miss," especially for the beautiful Klimpts.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Another vote for the Eyewitness top 10, it's compact and great for a short stay.

Place I enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet, MOMUK the modern art museum (also has a very nice cafe), Cafe Museum (Adolf Loos interior which is worth seeing for the price of a coffee), Hunterwasser apartment building (you can't go inside but the outside is worth exploring).
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM

jjjj
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Be sure to try the Sacher Torte.

Woody
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Woody, many people, myself included, feel the Sacher Torte is highly overrated (and dry). Much more enjoyable I believe is the Mohr im Hemp (a gooey, chocolate pudding cake)and Palatschinken (a crepe filled with either ice cream, jam or chocolate and topped with whipped cream and more chocolate sauce). YUMMY!