Aran Island Advice

Search

Aran Island Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aran Island Advice

My husband and I will be in Ireland in just about two weeks! Needless to say, we are both beyond excited!!

We now in the process of “perfecting” our itinerary; today I'm working on our stay in Galway. We will be here for three nights. Our first day there, we plan on just relaxing and experiencing the city (since our flight arrives early in the morning and we will be taking a bus from Shannon to Galway), day two is up in the air and on day three we thought we would drive to Salthill.

On day two, we planned on going to the Aran Islands for a day trip. Although lately we have started to second guess ourselves. Is it worth a trip out there to see? I'm thinking that we would walk around or rent bikes to look at historical sites and the scenery.

During our trip we are also visiting the Dingle Peninsula and Killarney National Park, where we may do some of the similar activities that we would do if we visit the Aran Islands.

So I guess I'm asking - is it worth it to visit the Aran Islands or is there something else in or around Galway? Keep in mind we won’t have a car until day three - so it would need to be an activity that wouldn't require us to drive. If you do suggest going to the Aran Islands, what do you recommend we see/do there? We enjoy: anything outdoors, hiking, biking, water sports, photography, etc. – but also love art, history, and sightseeing. Basically we will be excited tourists (yes...tourists ) in Ireland and want to make sure we experience the best of Ireland in the short time that we are there, which is nine days.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM

A couple of things. First of all, do you realize that Salthill is a suburb of Galway? It's really not very far. In fact, my daughter and I walked it on a Sunday afternoon last month. And I doubt that there's enough there to keep you occupied for a full day.

My daughter is doing an internship for school in Galway and lives in Knocknacarra, which is actually beyond Salthill. She buses back and forth. It's about a 20 minute bus ride.

Personally, I think Inis Mor, one of the Aran Islands, is well worth a day trip. You can catch a bus just off of Eyre Square that will take you to the ferry in Rosseveal.

If you're interested, click on my name and you can pull up my trip report. Days two and three were on Inis Mor. There's detail in there about catching the bus, etc.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM

Since you won't have a car, I think you should definately go to the Aran Islands. It would be a perfect destination for your interests.

On your 3rd day, with a car I would think you would want to venture a bit further that Salthill. Not really sure what it has to offer. I would suggest driving out into the Connemara area to Roundstone and/or Clifden. Maybe drive the Sky Road. You could also drive on to Kylemore Abbey. On one trip we did a big loop and included Cong. Too much to enjoy in this area to limit yourself to Salthill...which you could probably take a bus to from Galway.

Have a great trip!
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM

If you click through to this post, it has all the Ferry / airplane info for a trip to the Aran's.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34964186

Salthill is where MANY Galway tourists book B&B, so it certainly isn't much of a stretch. There are daytrip tours out of Galway that take you through Connemarra to places like Cong and Kylemore. It might be worth considering if that will be your only opportunity to see it, otherwise.

Westport would be worth an overnight, between what is there, and what you could see along the way there...but, since we don't know your timeline or schedule, it MIGHT be too much.

Bob
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM

Yes you should go!! Inishmore was one of my favorite places in Ireland especially if you enjoy hiking. I would suggest taking the ferry over in the morning, renting bikes and biking around. We spent one night but you could do what we did in a day.

We biked around, walked up to Dun Aengus (ancient fort) and then walked down the coast line back to the village. There are a fair number of day trippers around the fort but it an amazing cliffs-over-the-sea experience. Although not as high as Moher, I found it more spectacular. I also enjoyed our walks there as much as our walks around Dingle. We saw no one on our walk from the fort back to town and if I remember it took us a few hours to do it. Or you could spend the rest of the afternoon biking around checking out some of the other sights.

And no problem with no car. The ferry terminal was close to the city center (I think we took a bus) and of course you can't take a car over to the islands anyway.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM

I'm sure you're convinced by now but Yes go to the Aran Islands. Go see Dun Aengus ,oh what an amazing place.
Enjoy,while I day dream about my trip there.
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM

FYI - Matt Lauer was in Galway (and environs) this morning on the Today Show as part of the Where in the World series. They had some interesting bits on the cuisine and, of course, the sweaters. The countryside was beautiful. If you missed it this morning, you can see video clips of the segments on their website. Have a great trip!
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM

I saw part of it, Roadtrippers. Unfortunately, I had to leave and set my VCR. Of course, our cable picked that time to cut out! All I have is segments of black screen mixed in with partially loaded digital picture. But, of course, some of the commercials are just fine! I was heartsick 'cause it looked like some of it was outside a pub very near where my daughter works.

Thanks for mentioning the web site. I'll try to catch it there!

The part I saw at the Cliffs was just gorgeous. Looks like it was a gloriously beautiful day there today.

I will now turn your thread back over to you, HMIreland. Sorry!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

CAPH52 & Chip - you are most certainly correct - Salthill is not that far - this is why my husband is in charge of the driving portion of the trip!

Roadtrippers - thanks for the FYI regarding the Today show - we watched the episodes on-line last night and now I don't know how I can wait two more weeks to leave!

Thanks for all of your advice - I think the trip to Aran Islands will stay in our itinerary!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM

HM:

Don't miss heading out to Aran Islands..a rare experience in my opinion. As for day Two, an interesting visit is to tour Galway's Royal Tara Porelain factory (taxi)..other than that, Galway is bigger and more charming than most people take it to be....and a great strolling town at that.

You might want to go to the Salmon Weir Bridge and watch the salmon fishing on the River Corrib...interesting and unusual as the fish leap up stream..with a car, if you don't want to drive the longer distance through Connemara, head up to nearby Cong (22 miles or so) and the magnificent Ashford Castle, walk the grounds, and through the various common rooms in the castle, maybe lunch in the thatched-roof tea house on the grounds.

In town, a tea at the old Great Southern Hotel is a memorable and lovely experience..the scones, jam and cream are sinful, but delicious.
Above all, enjoy every minute of your nine days in Ireland..that's not hard to do!!!

Stu T.
Also, with a car, you might want to have a delicious oyster lunch at Moran's, just south of the city at Kilgorglan
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:25 AM

that's "porcelain" factory...
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM

Bookmarking for the great ideas - thanks!