Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dad thinks Mom & daughter will kill themselves driving in Scotland. Is he right?

Search

Dad thinks Mom & daughter will kill themselves driving in Scotland. Is he right?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I are headed to Scotland together at the end of July. (Probably a bit of a stupid time of year, but it's the only time I can go.) Our in-country transportation is a sticking point, as I used to work as a bus tour guide and I'm NOT interested in sitting on a coach on my vacation. I'll feel like I'm working, and I just like more privacy and flexibility.

However, apparently there's a little discord at home over the issue of whether Mom and I will kill ourselves driving on the 'wrong' side of winding Highland roads.

So, to those of you who know Scotland, what advice? I'm a confident enough driver and my Mom's a road warrior, at least on this side of the pond. Are there tips and tricks? Places we should be sure to stay away from? Or should we cave in and go with the herd? What about alternatives (trains, or even doing some cycling)?

Thanks for any help in quelling family strife!

- Quicksilver -
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Well it's your life

We did it 7 years ago - two weeks in Scotland, including Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Inverness and all points in between.

Once I got over the terror of starting out sitting on the "wrong" side of the car, driving on the "wrong" side of the road, going through my first rotary (I lost count of how many times before I finally figured which exit to take), it was smooth sailing. But do take care - in my opinion the Scots drive like madmen, passing on hills and curves, their major highways not quite as expansive as US interstates, some roads VERY narrow. Also when driving in the Highlands on small roads, look out for the sheep (you may not see any people but you will see sheep).

Have fun - you can do it!

KC
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Depending on where you are, there might not be a "wrong side". A lot of the windingest Highlands roads are single-track. When two vehicles meet, you both kind of edge over the side as you pass at 1 mph, or whoever's closest to one backs up to a turnout (usually very frequent). It's not a big deal, as no one is going very fast, unless a coach comes along.<br>
On more regular roads, just pay attention when you turn to turn into the correct lane, i.e. nearside lane turning left, not right. And watch the left edge of your lane; your natural tendency is going to be to crawl up the curb, as your body is situated in a different place with respect to the lane. Not terribly difficult once you get the hang of it, though the roundabouts can be a bit stressful (there's one every fifty feet, it seems).<br>
It's easy as pie. However, my wife won't let me do it anymore! Something about the constant swearing....
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM

I remember well my first day driving in the UK. Being on the 'wrong' side of the road, I kept hitting bushes on the passenger's side. My passenger spent hours flinching as I made my way from LHR to Cornwall. After the first day it was less of a problem.

Try not to make any 'instinct' moves as you always have to remember which side you're driving on and that a right turn can be deadly, if you're not thinking.

The good news is that the further north you go in Scotland, the less traffic there is.

It took me a while to figure out what the sign "no undertaking" meant, it's still pretty funny.

You may bruise your ego now and then, but I would say go for it.

Try Scone Castle, a fun, small castle that is the origin of Boot Hill.

It reminds me of the time my (then) 19 year old girlfriend went to Europe for the summer and I made her take salt tablets, just in case.

Go for it and tell 'Dad' that it will be all right, just like riding a bicycle.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Rastaguytoday, what does "the origin of Boot Hill" mean?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM

It will definitely help if there are the two of you paying close attention at first -- one to drive and the other to navigate. If you are a good driver at home there's no reason to think you can't manage. I wouldn't, however try to drive right after landing as I think jet lag would make the situation much worse.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I loved Scone Palace.

Remember to orient yourself in the middle of the road - just like when you are driving on the right side of the road.

Teach your mom - the passenger - to have a code word for when you are getting too close to her side of the road, which will be your tendency. If she can yell "bushes" or something like that to give you a signal it is much better than the uncontrolled shriek or OH NO or the sharply inhaled breath that you will get otherwise.

Anyway, the Brits all manage this and you can too. Nobody counts the number of times yo go around the roundabouts.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
tell your Dad he is being a wuss! Driving in Scotland is a piece of cake compared to many places in the States EVEN being on the "wrong" side of the road.

The only two main issues:

1) don't drive on your first day. Jet lag can be a REAL peril. So maybe spend the first couple of days in Edinburgh w/o a car (no one needs/wants a car in the city). Then pick up a car after you are well rested and you'll have no worries.

2) if you are going to any of the major cities (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen) it is easier to get around by public transport so plan accordingly.

Otherwise - the traffic is generally light, the drivers are very polite, and the roads are in good repair. Have a great time and your Dad will be a jealous so and so when you get back home.

(I am from California and MUCH prefer driving in Scotland to most of the highways in CA)
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:20 PM

My husband & I drove in Scotland during a 2 week vacation there several years ago - including in Edinburgh at Festival time. I found crossing streets on foot more disconcerting than driving on the opposite side of the road. (Just a reminder: when you are crossing the road - LOOK RIGHT!)

However, the 'B' roads are mainly small one-lane roads and even the 'A' roads in the country can be much more narrow than any roads I have ever seen in the US. And because of the many, many stone walls that are right up against the road - no shoulders at all - they seem even smaller.

Take your time and drive at the speed you are comfortable with. Don't worry the Scots will pass you if you aren't going fast enough. Once we got over the shock of feeling like we were going to hit every bush on the side of the road, we had a great time driving. If you are confident, go for it!!

~Lisa
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM

quicksilver, the only place I was glad NOT to drive on our trip to Scotland was Edinburgh (and I felt the same way when we went to Ireland several years ago -- I was happy not to drive in Dublin but everywhere else was OK). We used a park-and-ride to avoid the city traffic. All the advice here is good, I think. I would add one thing -- even on the two-lane roads there seem to be lots of places to pull over and let someone pass -- keep your eyes open for those places and let the locals blaze past you. (And they will.) Also, be prepared that, in some places, the driver might not be able to appreciate the scenery while you're moving. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:43 AM

A point that many people fail to make about turning right is that traffic coming from your left and turning into the road you are leaving will <u>cross in front</u> of you, not pass down your left side.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:53 AM

There are fewer single track roads with passing places than there used to be.
If you are driving fairly slowly, then you might find yourself at the head of a procession.
If you notice that you are holding people up, then just nip into a passing place and let them go by.
Several touristy places in Scotland actually have large notices in several languages at the exits warning you to keep left.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Since Brits on the whole manage to negotiate the US, coping not only with being on the wrong side of the road, and the wrong side of the car but also with having no gear stick, and traffic lights in weird places, I see no reason why an American can't cope with driving in the UK.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Don't forget that things have different names over here. We told an American child to &quot;stay on the pavement&quot;, and he immediately stepped into the road.

I am British, but have successfully driven a 32 foot American RV, complete with towed car, for many miles through the mountain states. There were a few white faces and sweaty palms at times, however.

&quot;I want to die like my father, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.&quot;
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Rental cars in Europe tend to be more manual than automatic. Just make sure all drivers are comfortable with stick shifts. Get a good map (or direction via AA or RAC websites), familiarise yourself with British motoring vocabulary (eg roundabout as opposed to rotary) and the price of petrol (it's per litre, not per gallon).

Roads will be narrow, so don't expect you can cover 60miles an hour. It can be as slow as 30-40 miles per hour once you're off dual-carriage ways.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:32 AM

I'm sorry, but you can't be a good driver if you were raised in the US. It's just too easy. It's like trying to become a good golfer on a minature golf course.

I've never been to Scotland but I can tell you that I still talk about my driving &quot;experience&quot; in Ireland. I give the Irish credit, they are great drivers. Curved roads less than the width of my driveway! I pulled in the ditch a lot.

I'll give you two pieces of advice. Learn to swear-ALOT. If you don't your head may explode. Also, put the hubcaps
in your trunk before you start driving.
During the first day you'll hit a lot of curbs and those hubcaps just take off into the fields like frisbees.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:40 AM

We drove many miles throughout Scotland and DH always gets a manual. We found driving in Scotland easier than England or Ireland and experienced no traffic until we reached Edinburgh where we dropped the car at the airport and even at that point it was quite easy. We found the single track roads to be lightly traveled and drivers courteous. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:54 AM

I thought driving on the opposite side of the road was going to be the hard part, but it was a piece of cake. I had a hard time determining how close I was to the side of the road or curb on the left side. Maybe its just me.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:03 AM

&quot;I'm sorry, but you can't be a good driver if you were raised in the US.&quot;

Dan, please get real or at least speak for yourself (LOL).

I do agree, however, that the hardest part might be to keep track of/judge where the left front bumper is although after driving in the UK several times I've found it much easier to do than at first.

I assume there will be one of the dreaded and feared roundabouts somewhere on this route; shouold we even bring that aspect of things up?
I honestly don't think they are nearly as bad as some here have made out.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:11 AM

I had no problems with roundabouts. I just went where the guy in front of me went. Eventually I found someone who was going the same place as me.

Actually the hardest roundabout I've ever encountered is outside Albany, NY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -