help with sorrento italy hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 2 night stay in Sorrento in June. would love some recommendations for decent places to stay. We are traveling with 2 teenage boys 15 and 17.We are interested in seeing Pompei, Capris, and the other sites in that area. We have read great things about Sorrento, but would welcome other recommended areas to stay while exploring the area. thanks for the help
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:29 AM

We loved La Tonnarella hotel, the views were amazing the hotel restaurant was great, internet access, beach access and very reasonable I highly reccommend this hotel....

http://www.latonnarella.com/england/homeng.htm
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Based on reading and asking questions here, I came up with a short list of hotels. Your needs may be different but these seem to generate good reports:

Tramontana
Ambasciatori
Gran Hotel Cocumella
Tonarella (see above)
And at the top end: Bellevue Sirene
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Sleitner: Can you tell me how long a walk it is from the Tonarella to restaurants in the center of Sorrento?
In my notes I have scribbled "ten minute walk along narow traffick-ey roads to town center" Does this sound right and can you comment, please.

Many thanks! The hotel looks lovely!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Look at the Grand Hotel Riviera on via Califano 22. Wonderful views if you ask for a sea view room. There is a pool and it is easy walking to town.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Ekscrunchy, if I remember correctly it was about 10 minutes down a rather large hill, there is a bus that goes back and forth on that road, we had no issues walking back and forth.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM

We're planning to stay at the Hotel Minerva in May - haven't been before but it looks nice! La Tonnarella looks great, too. Anyone know anything about swimming/beach in Sorrento??
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM

the hotel excelsior vittoria in sorrento is excellent... absolutely wonderful...great location...
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM

We stayed in the Bellevue Sirene in the center of Sorrento on the edge of the cliff above the Gulf of Naples. Had a nice view room with a balcony hanging out over the water. For swimming you took an elevator down to the water level; no beach, they had piers from which you swim.

The hotel next door, the Tramontana, had a pool.

It was very convenient being in Sorrento for restaurants and day trips.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Looked at Grand Hotel Riviera..it looks nice and has free parking.

The Excelsior Vittoria (Starwood) looks lovely but appears to be at the highest price point in Sorrento!

Bellevue Syrene looks lovely, too...much less pricey than the Vittoria.

So, two more to put on the list for me...
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM

My family and I have stayed at the Bellevue Syrene and the Tramontano which are right next to each other. Both have beautiful views of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvious and are a short walk into town for shopping, restaurants, etc. Both are nice hotels, but I think the Bellevue Syrene is a little nicer than the Tramontano. The Cocumella is a longer distance into town - about a 20 minute or so walk. It can be a very long walk on a hot (we usually go in July) and sunny day. We stayed in a villa apartment on the grounds of the Parco dei Principi which is next to the Cocumella. There are a few restaurants and one or two shops within walking distance. The walk into town from La Tonnarella is on a main road and, yes, it is a busy road with lots of traffic. It has a great view of the Bay and coast around towards Vesuvious. We did not stay here (almost did) but had dinner on the outdoor terrace and enjoyed the spectacular view (meal was okay but not great).

Since you are staying only 2 nights Jboz1, unless you have a car (sometimes we would drive part of the way from the apartment and park when we found a space and walked the rest of the way), I suggest staying closer to town. You will be close to restaurants, shops, boat to Capri, etc. I'm sure others here can help you with ease of getting to Pompeii if you are taking a train.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
ira

Hi J,

Sorrento is a very good base for Pompeii and Capri.

You can take the ferry or the SITA bus to Positano and Amalfi.

How long will you be there?

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Marianna that is truly an excellent rundown; that will help me a lot in planning. Many thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Another vote here for the Bellevue Serene. We stayed a week and had a room on the Bay of Naples side with a small balcony. It's only a few minutes walk from the very center of town and IMO, Sorrento is a great base because it's a bigger town than most and it's very nice to stroll around at night when you return from your day trips.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM

We stayed 4 nights last June at Hotel Minerva Sorrento and loved it. It has a lovely rooftop pool. We took the train to Pompeii, the ferry to Positano and boat to Capri for a day. We actually loved Sorrento which was a surprise, but we ate at great restaurants and enjoyed walking around there at night. A charming and very fun place!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks, Pugsley. The Syrene sounds excellent. I will have to make several visits to stay in all of these wonderful-sounding hotels!

Tammy: I actually stayed at the Minerva..it was so long ago (1974) that I barely remember it although I do remember that it was lovely with wonderful views. I think I blocked the rest out of my mind if you get my drift!

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM

In my opinion, the best views of the whole area is from the newly renovated
La Minervetta Maison.

http://www.laminervetta.com/index_ing.htm
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM

SeaUrchin, just beautiful! Can I go tonight????
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I personally hate Sorrento, but I love Capri. Sorrento is cheap and tawdry in my opinion. You should stay at Quisisana on Capri.

The British like to stay in Sorrento so they can shop for cheap souvenirs like tea towels and ceramic gravy boats painted with the likeness of Tom Jones.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Well I will probably fit right into Sorrento. I remember going to a Tom Jones concert with my mother where the ladies(?) tossed their panties onto the stage.

I think I am supposed to shop for hankies for someone named Priscilla..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -