1st Time to Paris w/Family: Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading these forums for days, and looking at tripadvisor, and I still can't decide where to book our hotel! We are traveling to London and Paris for a 10 day stay at the end of May. We'll be in paris for about 4-5 days. I am travelling with my husband and two daughters (12 and 8). I'd like to get connecting rooms, or rooms next to each other, or maybe an apt. Is there any way to get a nice hotel (hopefully 4 star) with pretty rooms, in a great location, near a metro stop, with Air Conditioning, for less than a total of $1000/night for the 2 rooms?
I've looked at Hotel D'Aubusson: 750-800 Euros for two rooms
Paris perfect apt: only can book for a week (about $5000/wk)
Victoria Palace: 2 BR suite 785 Euros

We don't speak much French, so I was a little hesitant about booking an apartment (I thought we might need and English-speaking front desk to help us with reservations and other things).

Can anyone please help me? Thank you so much!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:08 AM

The Hotel Relais du Louvre has a charming apartment ... nice space for a family! ..its within your budget, the staff is warm and delightful and I like the area. It is across the street from a beautiful church (St. Germain De Auxerois...my spelling stinks!). It is very central and from there, Paris is your oyster.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Many hotels can offer 'connecting' rooms but you may have to call them to find out, as the websites don't always indicate this.

You might try:
Paris Marriott Champs Elysees
Holiday Inn Paris Saint Germain
Hotel Paris Louvre Opera (Best Western)
Best Western Belloy St Germain
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I would suggest Hotel Bel Ami in the 6th, if you like modern, sleek decor.

They have a Jr Suite connected to a Rive Gauche room (quite small, though) for your daughters.

They might have connected Superior rooms, which I'm anaware of.

Have a look at:

http://www.hotel-bel-ami.com/en/accom.php

When booking, look into the packages, often better priced than the normal rates, as well as including a great buffet breakfast.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Oops... "unaware", not anaware. Sorry.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Try guestapartment.fr. Many of their very pretty and elegantly furnished apartments are on Ile Saint Louis. We stayed on Rue de Bretonvilliers; everything was as it appeared on the website, and, should you need it, they offer quite a few services, much like a concierge. Do ask about AC, though. I don't think all of their apartments have it.

Enjoy Paris.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM

I had a similar issue, and have found family deals for connecting rooms at the hotel du louvre and the westing for about 550 euros for both rooms. per night. Also at the hotel st. james albany
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
ira

Hi L,

Try the Hotel Bonaparte.
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Rooms 18 and 19, or equivalent on another floor, are at the end of a short corridor.

One is a dbl bed, the other has twin beds.

About 125E per room with bkfst.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Although you appear to have quite a nice budget, I wouldn't rule out an apt. We stayed in an apt with our 12 and 8 yr old this past summer. While it was pretty small, just having the extra space, a kitchen and a washer/dryer made it even nicer. We were able to go to the store and have drinks/snacks. I wouldn't worry about you not being able to speak French-we had no problems whatsever;don't let that sway your decision. Also, a lot of the apt websites state that they only rent out by the week, don't be afraid to ask. Our apt stated that and we asked and received. We were only there 5 nights.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM

You do not need to spend the money for Hotel D'Aubusson. Although lovely, I do not think of it as a family style hotel, it has more appeal for a couples only getaway, which we enjoyed on our last visit to Paris and know many couples who have stayed there recently. My brother was very happy at Hotel du Louvre last year, and I considered Bel Ami for a family trip, priced more reasonably than d'Aubusson. But we ended up selecting an apt to rent. You should select an apt (or hotel) with AC for that time of year because you just never know if you'll need it. I understand your reluctance about being in an apt if you do not speak French. If you select the apt route, see if the owner/host will be easily available during your stay to offer assistance.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM

I have found a hotel called the Hotel Du College near the Sorbonne and the rate was very reasonable. I have not stayed there and I did not see terrible reviews so I beleieve it is a nice hotel. They can accommodate a family of 4 in one room. My children are ages 10 and 17. If someone knows differently let me know. I hope this helps.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM

It's a well-liked 2* hotel, so don't expect quite the same amenities... Their rates don't list a quad so wondering how crowded a room you are going to have there...
http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/tarifs-us.html

Did you investigate Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche? They've got a triple that looks like it could absorb an extra bed...
http://www.henri-paris-hotel.com/
http://www.parisby.com/hotelhenri4/pages/profile.htm
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Don't let your lack of French skills prevent you from staying in an apartment. Learn a few basic words - bonjour, merci, s'il vous plait and the others that are usually listed in any guidebook and you should do fine.
One advantage of having two hotel rooms is that you would also have two bathrooms (not true if you are all in a quad room, of course) though you can also find apartments with two bathrooms. Have you had a look at www.vrbo.com? You can actually sort the listings by the number of bathrooms. I gave a quick look and #100480, 70921 or 89523 would all seem to fit your needs and be well within your budget.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Just came back from Paris....I traveled with my husband and two 14 year old girls. We stayed at Hotel D'Aubusson on the fifth floor. We had two rooms that connected, each with their own bath, and a loft. It was a PERFECT setup and perfect location. I would highly recommend it.

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM

A $1000/night to lodge 4 people?

I'll go out on a limb and say you can find a 3 br penthouse with an outstanding view of the Eiffel Tower for that price. This should be really fun for you research.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your responses. We decided to extend our stay in Paris to a week, and stay at the parisperfect apt. It looks beautiful--we just can't wait for our trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
ptm

Hi, I am curious what did you think of the Paris Perfect apartments? Thanks Ptm
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Citadines has many different locations in Paris, and nice apartments that can be rented for a day or week ... They have studios up.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

I will tell you how the Paris Perfect apts are once we get back. We aren't leaving until the end of May. Still planning!!