Post your Paris Museum Pass break-even analysis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or even if you didn't break even, but got to use the pass to jump queues. Let's see your numbers: museums visited each day with prices, compared to pass number of days and cost. Currently, they are

* 2-day €30
* 4-day €45
* 6-day €60

This is a big decision for many people, so if many Fodorites would post their own strategies here, it could be very helpful to a lot of newbies.

I would post my own, but I confess it was two years ago, and I don't recall any prices. We got the 3-day version and visited
<b>Day 1</b>
Louvre
Notre Dame Crypts
Arc de Triomphe
<b>Day 2</b>
Orsay
Rodin
Invalides
<b>Day 3</b>
Versailles

We did a little better than break-even on the price, as I recall, but the ability to walk up to the special entrances and be waved in was: priceless.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM

Agree that the convenience of expedited access is well worth the price.

Who wants to waste precious time in Paris standing in line? Worse, standing in line in the pouring rain? A really long line?

And how often in life would such a relatively small investment get you the kind of priority treatment the museum pass offers?

The only other time I got waved to the head of a long line was in Miami Beach, when I went out with a guy I belatedly discovered had criminal connections. And other weirdnesses.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM

If it's a first visit and one plans to &quot;do&quot; many, many museums and monuments in a rush, the museum pass might be economical.

The only place a pass is &quot;priceless&quot; for skipping the ticket line in Musee d'Orsay, and you can purchase advance tickets for that at FNAC.

There are so many entrances to the Louvre, along with automatic ticket machines all about.

To my observation, the museum pass was far more economical before the new pricing schedule, especially considering that many museums are now FREE.

A huge disadvantage of the pass is &quot;consecutive days&quot;.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:01 PM

We spent 30 euros each for the 2-day pass and used it Aug 31/Sept 1. I think I have the correct regular prices below. They are close, anyway:

day 1
Mus&eacute;e National du Moyen Age - Cluny 6.50
Notre Dame Tower 5.70
Orsay 7.5

Day 2
Ste-Chapelle 5.50
Louvre 8.50
Rodin 6.00
Invalides 7.00

Total would have been 46.70 so we each saved 16.70 euros. My 18 year-old daughter could have gotten into most places at the student rate but still would have broken even, I believe.
We were lucky to have short or no lines, still there was the comfort of knowing that we could have jumped the queue if necessary
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Another added value for having the pass is that you might &quot;try&quot; a museum that you might otherwise skip if you were paying full admission, or you can go to one and if you can only stay a short time it's not a &quot;waste&quot; and maybe you can return later in your visit and see some more.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:03 AM
ira

Hi R,

One museum pd is usually enough for us, so I don't think that we would break even on a pass.

For the d'Orsay, I walked over one day and bought tickets for the next day. No lines to buy the tickets, no line to get in the ticket-holder door.

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:15 AM

Now that the time periods have been altered it is a little hard to tell. And the time of year makes a difference. For the Orangerie, it is probably still best to buy a reserved time. You can also buy a one day pass to the Orsay at FNAC and bypass the lines. These two are really the only ones with the potential of very long lines. There are many entrances to the Louvre that have no lines.
SO, without really knowing the entry fees individually I am thinking that the pass is not going to be a good deal.
We've often thought it was a good investment because we could just duck into a museum as we passed to use the WC or to just take a look. The Carnavale is now free. But the Cluny is still one of our favorites. And the Picasso is over that way also for a grouping of museums on a day.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:01 AM

When we were there for a short trip in September, the pass wasn't economical for us. I dreaded the long lines at the D'Orsay. But we got lucky!

On Saturday morning we entered the Louvre at the underground entrance (Palais Royale metro). Went to the tabac in the Louvre underground arcade to buy tickets.

When I mentioned going to the D'Orsay the next day, he offered us those tickets as well.

At the D'Orsay there was, indeed, a long line...in the rain. I suspected they were waiting to buy tickets, so we approached the &quot;Group Entrance&quot; door (or something like that). There was no line and the guard, seeing our tickets, waived us right through.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM

I don't find any advantage in the Museum Pass. First, I don't necessarily want to spend consecutive days museum hopping and second , I tend to suffer culture overload if all I do is spend all day in museums.

I find it easy to use alternate entrances to the Louvre without a wait and to purchase advance tickets thru the FNAC site and pick them up at a convenient location.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Add me to the list that normally thinks one museum a day is enough, so the pass loses its value to me.

But I have been to D'Orsay probably 5 times now without a pass, and I don't think I've waited any more than 5 minutes ever. Meanwhile I've walked by there a half hour before it opened and have seen long lines of people waiting to get in. For some people it makes sense to stand in a line an hour before a place opens rather than stand in line for 5 minutes halfway through the day. Personally, I don't get it. Have I just been lucky?
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you have been lucky. I have seen long lines whenever I have been at the Musee d'Orsay, and I am never at anything any more first thing in the morning. And it has always been February or March.

The other place where the pass gives a line-skipping advantage is Versailles.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Don't get me wrong. I've been in long lines there too, but they've always moved very fast -- hence the 5 minute maximum waiting time.
I've always been there between June and August.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Can't recall actual prices anymore but certainly would have made a saving with my three day pass. To a certain extent this was because I used it several times (in addition to those museums I really wanted to see) to pop in and have a quick look around when I happened to be walking past a museum/historic site that was covered by the pass.

What would be a huge plus for the scheme is if they made it so that the days did not have to be consecutive. For example any four days within a one week period. It can be easy to get a bit overloaded if you are required to do all your museums in one hit and this actually puts people off. You could also make more allowance to take advantage of the weather as well.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

ira - &quot;For the d'Orsay, I walked over one day and bought tickets for the next day.&quot;

...and that took <i>how long</i>?

jody - you don't have to use the pass every day to come out ahead. All that has to happen is that you save &euro;60 over a six-day period. This can usually be accomplished in three or four short (and non-consecutive) days. marshybird, above, saved &euro;19.70 on day one and &euro;27 on day 2. Another &euro;13 would have paid for a 6-day pass.

But you get to jump queues and use toilets and pop in for a quick look at smaller, lesser-known museums for six days.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:19 AM

In June we saved money on museums overall, but the greatest benefit was walking past the 200 people standing in line at L'Orangerie, being the only ones in line for the passes, and going straight in the door.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Well, since you asked, this is how I used the five-day pass (which must have existed when I visited)

Day 1 -- Pantheon, Notre Dame Crypt / Towers, Saint Chapelle, Concierge
Day 2 -- Louvre
Day 3 -- Hotel des Invalides, Rodin Museum, Musee d'Orsay
Day 4 -- Cluny Museum, Delacroix Museum, Hugo Museum, Carnavalet Museum
Day 5 -- Louvre (no WAY it can be seen in one day!)

I simply added up the cost of all the museums I would want to visit, and it EASILY was more than the cost of the pass. Not standing in line was just a minor bonus.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM

I have visited Paris many times, but I found myself there in mid-October 2003, on the way home from a business trip, and Paris was in the midst of an exceptional heatwave. I thought I'd attempt to counter the heat by moving from air-conditioned museum to museum, and with the one-day pass I revisited:

Natural History Museum
Pantheon
Cluny
Invalides
Army Museum
Orsay
Gimet (the Asian museum and the only &quot;new museum&quot; for me that day)

Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time in any museum, just enough to cool off and visit a few favorite objects, but it was a lot of value from a one-day pass. But it allowed me to walk through the left bank to the right, and duck into a museum when I wanted to cool off.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM
ira

Hi Robe,

&gt;ira - &quot;For the d'Orsay, I walked over one day and bought tickets for the next day.&quot;

...and that took how long?&lt;

From the Hotel Bonaparte, about 18 min each way.

I did it in the morning while my LW was getting ready.

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I've only bought one once, and didn't break even. I did it solely for the Orsay which I wanted to go into on that trip, and the lines were very long. So I bought a one-day pass (at that time, I think 15 euro) just to get immediate entrance. The lines were a couple blocks long and it was raining (this was July, several years ago).

The Orsay does still have long lines in mid-day, I think that's the worst time. The last time I went (last year), I did only have about a 15 minutes wait because it was around when the museum opened. Lines aren't too long then, even in July. They still take longer than 5 minutes then, though. That's the only museum I find a problem in heavy tourist season. I did wait in line about 15 min. once at the Pompidou, but that was because it was Bastille Day (many museums were closed, tons of people on holiday).
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 06:01 PM

We bought the pass when we were in Paris a couple of years ago. We used it and definitely felt we got our money's worth. We went to the Louvre twice so that we didn't have to spend the whole day and be overwhelmed. As well we went to places that we would not have had we had to pay for them. The Rodin museum was lovely and we went a couple of times to have coffee in the gardens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -