Trip Report: France car rental & driving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back from a trip to Belgium and France. In France I rented a car and traveled with 2 companions from Paris to Normandy and the Loire Valley. This is the report of the experience.

<b>Background</b>

I have extensive driving experience in the US in both cars and 18-wheelers. I have driven in the UK twice, and in Quebec many times. But first time in continental Europe. I hardly know any French.

<b>Rental</b>

I booked through Autoeurope, after a good experience last year for a UK rental. Rate was about US$180 for 4 days, from Europcar, for a SDMR, standard-sized manual with A/C. Websites of AutoEurope and Europcar suggest it would be a Renault Laguna Diesel or similar. Rate didn't include CDG fees (24.1&euro, and road tax (1.84&euro;/day, I think), which I paid to Europcar directly.

My rental was for CDG pickup and Place d'Italie drop-off. I initially ordered CDG/CDG, but a quick phone call to AutoEurope was all it took to change it.

<b>Pick-up</b>

I actually took the Thalys to CDG, but my travel companions arrived at CDG1, so that's where we picked up the car. Only one agent working at Europcar's counter there on a Sunday morning. Then an elevator ride up to the parking garage. [There was a line for the elevators. CDG1 is a dump, but that's off-topic.]

Found the car, saw some small scratches, so went back down to the rental desk to add them to the agreement.

<b>The car</b>

I ended up getting a Renault Laguna station wagon with a 2.0 gasoline engine. Diesel would have saved me some fuel cost, but they didn't have one. Car was easy to drive with adequate power, and lots of room for 3 people and luggage. Roads around Normandy and Loire are wide, so the large size of the car didn't post any problem, unlike some parts of UK.

Like the Renault I drove last year, it uses a card in place of a key. Also has an electronic parking brake. Good features once you know how to use them.

<b>Rental Return</b>

This was the most exciting part of my journey. I dropped off luggage and my friends at a hotel near Place d'Italie in Paris, then drove to Europcar's office by myself. What I found is that it's a little store front on Avenue d'Italie, about 50 steps from the plaza. There's absolutely no place to stop for a second, let alone park. Super super busy thoroughfare.

So, I drove around the plaza - twice I think - and found a tow-zone on the next street. I put on the flashers, and ran into the Europcar office. There I learned that the car should be parked at the garage at Italie 2, the shopping mall across the street from the office. So, around the plaza once again, park the car, and brought keys to office.

I don't know why, but the agent at the airport office should have told me, or it should be written clearly on the agreement, how to return the car!

As for driving around the plaza, it's really not that hard or dangerous. Keep squeezing left when you get on, then at around 120-degrees (1/3 of the circle) before your street, squeeze back to the right to exit it.

<b>French autoroutes</b>

The autoroutes are delights to drive on. Extremely well paved, well marked, with excellent reflectors on both sides so that there is absolutely no need to use high beams at night. Toll lanes are plentiful and well marked. Never a wait. Toll collectors were mostly young girls that are courteous.

And the service plazas are wonderful. Big store, clean restrooms, many with fast food and/or cafeteria, WITH picnic tables and benches to eat outside.

And the speed limit is so reasonable at 130km/h (110km/h when raining, and in urban areas). At that speed, there's no reason to speed. Everybody stays right except when passing, all passing done on the left.

Traffic is light outside Paris, except on A10 to/from the Southwest. Drove some distances on A13, A84, A81 &amp; A11 and traffic was non-existent on all.

<b>Other roads</b>

The other routes are fine as well, all well marked. Speed limits are not posted, as they're universal - 90km/h outside urban areas, 50km/h inside. They're posted if different from the above. Directions and the rotaries/roundabouts are basically designed the same as in the UK (except left/right). Roundabouts are almost as popular as they are in the UK.

<b>Atlas &amp; ViaMichelin</b>

I bought the very heavy 1:200,000 Michelin France atlas here. I saw them everywhere in France, but I need to have it before hand to study and mark the routes. I also used viamichelin.com to get some directions and to get toll rates, which were 100% accurate.

However, I ended up deviating from some of the routes recommended by viamichelin. For example, they recommend using N15 into Rouen. But I decided to go with the road signs and use N138/338 which is all freeway and faster.

<b>Our Trip</b>

Day One:

A1 out of CDG, A86 around Paris, then A14 to A13. Took N15 to Vernon, then Giverny. Back to N15 to A13 to Rouen (via N138/338).

Back to A13 to Caen, and then D514 to our hotel just west of Ouistreham on the Normandy Coast.

Day 2:

Follow D514 along the WWII sites all the way to Isigny. Then N174 to A84 to Mont Ste-Michel.

Back on A84 to Fourgeres, then D155/N12/D31 to get on A11 at Laval. East on A81 to overnight in Le Mans.

Day 3:

From Le Mans, took N138 (including Mulsanne Straight) to A28 to A10 to Tours. N76 to Chenonceaux.

D31 up to the Loire, then follow D751 to Blois. D951/D84 to Chambord. Back on D951 all the way to Orleans.

Day 4:

A10 to N154 to Chartres. Then A11/A10/A6 to Port d'Italie in Paris. Avenue d'Italie to get to our hotel and car return at Place d'Italie.

Whole trip about 1,160km (720 miles). Fueled up twice: first time 51 liter, 1.38&euro;/l, 70&euro;. Second time 49 liter, 1.33&euro;/l, 65&euro;. Total, 100 liter (26.45 gal), 135&euro; ($171). Average: <b>$6.5/gal</b>, and fuel economy is about <b>27mpg</b>.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh, my Continental IAH-AMS &amp; CDG-IAH flight reports for this trip are here in the Airlines forum:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34866819
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent details in your report. It is completely true that www.viamichelin.com itineraries usually need to be deviated from to find more picturesque roads, unlike the Michelin road maps which practically beg you to take small scenic roads.

I am surprised that your Europcar contract did not mention return details, as they are always very important. I almost always rent through AutoEurope, but they have been giving me most of the cars through National or Budget lately, and the return details are always specified. I have had some cars from Europcar also, but since I knew exactly where I was returning the car, I didn't really look to see if it was marked on the contract.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 08:32 AM
ira

Thanks for sharing. rk.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Good details...thanks for posting!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM

riiwa, thanks for posting and especially for the great formatting. I love reports that are easy to read and follow.

More to follow? Perhaps a tiny window on your soul?

My first trip to Europe was a 12-day drive from Paris to Normandy to the Loire and back to Paris, and it's probably still my most travel experience.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Make that &quot;most memorable travel experience.&quot; A word fell out of my satchel somewhere along the road.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Pausanias

And did you notice -- people drive in the travel lane and use the left lane for passing. And they surrender the lane if they happen to forget and someone faster approaches from behind...

and

Don't know if your experience was the same, but in 2000 km of driving we didn't pass one accident. Not the case in the NY area.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I did see an accident. Happened the first day in Normandy where the weather was changing every miles. Sunny one minute, heavy rain the next. Pretty serious crash on the autoroute in the opposite direction.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:50 PM

I find it such a pleasure to drive in France because most drivers seem to follow the &quot;courtesy of the road&quot; as described by Pausanias. Deborah
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM

I cannot believe that you are all talking about the nice French drivers! I am still terrified to drive in Paris proper (the roads outside are fine) and I have never been rammed so many times as here by drivers making a left turn from the right lane.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

moxie - I guess it's because I am a very agressive driver myself, and I have driven in NYC, Boston, etc all with no problem. So, I fit right in.

BTW, here's the link to my main trip report to Belgium, Normandy, Loire and Paris. It's an ongoing project:

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34872556
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:47 AM

Ah yes, the practice/law in France concerning the passing lane on the autoroutes...oh how I wish that we could somehow brain transfer that concept to America...

My first trip on an autoroute was in the south, as I had slowly travelled down the Med coast from Cannes to St Tropez, then further...It was getting dark, near 10:00 pm in the summer...and I had been told that under no circumstances should one get on the autoroute without exact change to get off...as I found out, this was generally absurd...I used a credit card...

...but the &quot;aires&quot; along the autoroute...the first time I stopped for diesel was coming back from Besan&ccedil;on late at night, nothing open...I went in and was astonished...greeted by &quot;bon soir monsieur&quot;...very clean showers/toilets/attended...but the food and displays of michelin maps and local merchandise astounded me...and there was espresso and a wine bar!!
I left with a saumon fum&eacute; sandwich, an excellent brand of bottled water, those wonderful Mi Cho Ko (La Pi&eacute; qui chant&eacute chocolate caramels, and other supplies...happy to be there...

For the posting about agressive drivers in Paris...we all are aware of big cities....try NY on fifth avenue at rush hour...I did, and was literally cut off four or five times in one block by the only other vehicles on the street-taxis...who obviously did not want me on their turf...I bailed on a side road...and I drive everywhere...the autoroutes are cleaner, better maintained, better provisioned at &quot;aires&quot;, more courteous to users, and most of all, the drivers ALL stay in the right lane, and do not exercise their insecurity by kidnapping the passing lane, which we all see everywhere in the US-what is the deal with that anyway?

I love driving in France, it is a pasttime in itself...and my friends always are aghast and astonished to find out that &quot;I drive in France&quot;...another example of complete ignorance of the aspects of another country...I guess that is why the Japanese generally think we are all cowboys...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM

So is it fair to say that for driving in France we can get away with a larger car then we could in the UK? While we found the UK cars &quot;larger&quot; inside then a comparable sized car in North America (if that makes sense!) this time we will have kids, so no back seat! Even if we went to the UK with the kids, we'd still go small car (those narrow roads and hedges!) - not the same issue in France? (outside Paris - no desire for big city driving!)
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
ira

Hi CV,

&gt;we can get away with a larger car then we could in the UK? &lt;

Most likely, but it depends on where you will be going.

We had to fold in the mirrors to get a Peugeot 307 down a street in St. Emilion.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Canada_V:

Absolutely. Roads in the part of France I drove on are similar to those in northeastern US and eastern Canada. Car size is not a problem at all, unlike in the UK. This include all the &quot;D&quot; roads in France, not just the &quot;A&quot; and &quot;N&quot;s. [I drove in Cornwall and Devon last year, and it was nothing like that in France.]

I think only once, passing through a small village on the Normandy coast, did I encounter a very very stretch of road that one car have to give way when someone's coming in the opposite directions.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM

moxie,

Paris drivers are different, being of combattive minds when driving a car. They are also skilled at parking in a space the size of a postage stamp.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think that Paris drivers are as combative as Underhill claims, but it is true that one does learn to park in the most incredible spaces. I have amazed myself more than once by squeezing into a space -- after tremendous maneuvering -- that only left about 2 cm. on each end of the car.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM

RETURNING CARS IN PARIS:
We've returned 2 cars in Paris, neither time did we receive detailed instructions on where/how to return it. The first time we circled around a train station in the evening at least ten times looking for the rental shop until I finally decided to go in and see if someone could help me. It would have been so easy if I had been told that we needed to find the desk inside. We spent all that time looking for a rental agency on the street after a long day on the road to reach Paris, and I was close to tears by the time we finally got rid of that darn car.

Last month in Paris, similar scenario, train station, no instructions, despite my having asked for specifics when reserving the car, and being told - don't worry, it's easy to find. We saw a sign for car returns nd were so happy, but just as entering we noticed the names of a few agencies, but not ours. I did find our car rental shop in the station anyway, but you could only pick a car up there, not return it. We had to leave this section (after paying, naturellement) and go to a different area to return it. It wasn't as frustrating after the previous experience.

rkkwan - We originally said we'd return the car to the Place d'Italie agency, but later switched to one of the train stations to be closer to another area of Paris. They had given us the same address you had received with no mention at all of where to park the car. Reading your account of Ave d'Italie made me feel sick - that was almost us too!

DRIVING IN PARIS: Oh yes - I love to drive around the Arc de Triomphe! Sometimes I think I will never emerge from the mass of cars circling without the benefit of lanes. Driving toward the center for the first 1/3 and out for the second 2/3 applies here too - just a lot more crazy drivers to contend with. The best time to go up the Arc is at rush hour when you can see the cars circling in all directions at once - what a mess! We even saw a moped going the opposite direction of the traffic flow this time. My kids were astonished.

DRIVING IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE: My favorite story along an autoroute in France was seeing 2 tanks pulling through a toll plaza - stopping to pay tolls just like anyone else and continuing on with all the other traffic! Never saw that at home!

PARKING IN PARIS: Saw a car parked sideways sticking way out into traffic once. That was amazing! And love how 2 Smart cars can fit end-to-end in one parking spot. I always wonder how they get out though. They leave NO extra room!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

kwren - If I hadn't dropped off my friends at the hotel already, it'd have been pretty simple. One of them can go in and ask. Unfortunately, I was alone in the car.

Anyways, I also don't find drivers in Paris that bad. They are no more intimidating than those in Boston, NYC, or Washington, DC. Since I've driven at all those places lots of times, Paris is not a problem for me.

I also wouldn't park a car on the street in Paris, NYC or Boston. Well, I had in Boston, but I always worry about being blocked in. Especially a rental car. I always budget garage parking when going to cities like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -