Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do Vague Message Titles Attract or Repel You?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just opened another post which had what many would describe as a "vague" title.

As usual, someone suggested that the OP might get more responses if they re-posted with more specific information in the title.

It makes sense and then I started thinking (I know, bad idea!) about it and realized that most people would not ask these kinds of questions (exp.: "Where should I go?&quot or at least start out a conversation with them in "real life."

So, are these people PURPOSELY using vague titles to attract posters?

Do you often open these sorts of posts simply out of curiosity?

Are these posters laughing hysterically (and thinking, &quot;Well, <b>you</b> opened it now didn't you?) when people spend time and energy suggesting re-posts with &quot;better&quot; titles?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Depends on the exact nature of the vagueness. &quot;Hotel query&quot; wouldn't intrigue me, &quot;hotel mystery&quot; might, so to speak. &quot;When/where should I go&quot; titles, and all those that implicitly say &quot;Do my research for me and be my travel agent while you're at it&quot; definitely don't attract.

None would exactly repel me, indeed I can think of titles clearly expressing repellent (to me) points of view that I'd really want to have my own rant at.

But to be honest, what really determines whether I look at a thread and spend time replying to it is whether my boss is looking.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:37 AM

Most aren't every day posters here so have no idea that they'll be quickly &quot;informed&quot; about how to post a question.

What I find funny is they usually get their answers in their first question anyway.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:19 AM

They'll get some answers, but perhaps not as many if the title was clearer.

This might not be a problem if it's just a straight, factual question. But if someone wants a range of opinions or ideas on something, then it could limit the number of responses.

I'm like Patrick--it depends on the vague title.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM
rex

It probably goes without saying that I open them intentionally, to offer advice on what they are doing wrong.

I consider it an act of &quot;good Samaritan-ship&quot;. Like seeing/seeking to rescue a child about to walk out into a busy intersection.

Like the unsuspecting child, I think most are unaware that they cause others &quot;distress&quot;.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Vague message titles usually mean someone is not accustomed to posting on Fodors and they need a little more help than the regulars ( who should be more patient with newbies)
I find these posts that complain about other peoples posts, to be rude and discouraging to others wishing to come on the boards for the first time.( shich one could say is repellant in its own way)
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM

If they're really clever the do attract - but in my experience that's about 1 in 100.

The rest are either from people who are hopelessly confused, somehow think everyone else knows what's in their mind - or are just being smart asses. The last are the most irritating.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM

start out a conversation with them in &quot;real life.&quot;

I started thinking about this, if two people walked into a room and one announced &quot;I'm going to London&quot; and the other one said &quot;vacation&quot;. I'm sure all the attention would go to the second one, &quot;well, where, tell us&quot;.

Or maybe I hang around with an odd group....
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM

You know what Scarlett, your comment is true, lol. Now about hanging around with an odd group..hmmm, I thought we on the left coast were expected to be odd!!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I'd love to title a post - 'Can I Get There From Here?' That's how some of the vague titled posts strike me.

I realize that they are mostly from newbies, both to the board and to travel in general.

They usually come upon the Board somehow, and instead of lurking to see what is going on, they jump in with vague titles and unorganized travel plans.

Almost all of us here, seem to be obsessed with doing research months in advance, not just here, but using books, and any other sources that we can find.

_Some_ of the newbie vague titlers, as sincere as they may be, have no idea what researching a trip entails and think that one or two posts and we will do it for them - a free, on line expert travel service.

Yes the vaugue titles bother me, it's like someone looking at traffic accident, I read them, usually after ignoring them for a while and then opening them.

Go to a book store, do a search here, for gawd's sake, get personally involved in your own trip!!!!! How many times have I wanted to say that to certain posters.

Nina
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:55 AM
rex

One more additional thought, insipred by two such posts just this afternoon...

...and I know that others will disagree (strongly?) with this.

But take a look at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34849011

Providing an answer - - any answer - - without waiting to see if the OP will take the advice to re-post... is facilitating. And when &quot;committed&quot; by other longtime veterans - - is tantamount to encouraging these inappropriately vague titles.

It's not hard to find examples where such threads have become quite lengthy - - and packed with lots of useful information (and I have been a provider in more than one case, myself), for example...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34846929

And the greater &quot;community&quot; can potentially miss out on a good thread this way, because the title gives no clue.

It would be better if such vaguely titled postings were &quot;nipped in the bud&quot;.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

My statement about the &quot;real life&quot; situation was prompted by the thought of someone coming up to me and saying, out of the blue, &quot;Where should I go?&quot; and nothing else.

You can just imagine the possible responses that might leap to mind.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Oh yes, I would love to tell a few people I know &quot;where to go&quot;!!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Shame on you LoveItaly

How many of us have had co-workers, a friend of a friend, etc. say to us, 'I'm thinking of going to Europe - what should I see or do there?&quot;

They expect you to plan the whole thing in detail, and then the first time someone says something stupid like 'the French don't like Americans' or 'I heard that Italy is .... whatever&quot;, they want YOU re-plan their trip.

A few years ago, I got 'volunteed' into spending hours and hours of my time and energy doing just that for the good friend of a very good friend of mine. He wanted to surprise his wife with a one week trip to Paris for their 25th Anniversary.

Seemed nice enough on the phone and it was a very nice gesture, so I said yes. He had an agenda, but said only that it was a things that other friends had done.

Big mistake on my part as it turned out that he had a married mistress and she and her husband had gone to Paris and he wanted to follow in her exact foot steps, same hotel, restaurants, cooking class, etc.. Had I know this initially (my good friend didn't know either), I would have slammed the phone down on the first call.

He didn't tell me until I was well into the planning, two nice lunches at my house, numerous emails, reservations, using my ink and printer for numerous pages, because his was supposedly broken, etc.. I used this Board on some things and a friend in Paris, did some leg work for him. He even wanted to take my books with him, rather than spend a few dollars on his own. Fortunately I value my books more than my time, so I said no to that one.

When the truth came out, instead of telling him off, I slowly backed off. DH, bless him, said that I should have told him exactly what I thought of him and then refused to speak to him again.

After the trip, I never heard from him again, nor did my friend, and I have no idea if he enjoyed the trip. His wife told someone - and this is really sad - that she couldn't make any choices, as he had decided on every detail before they left. She said that all she did was follow along.

Nina

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Your friend was this guy's wife and after the Anniversay trip she never heard from him again? pretty odd, huh?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM

No, no Seaurchin, the lover boy was a friend of a friend of Nina's. Nina's friend never heard from his/her friend again..you know..lover boy.

And Nina66, if you knew who was on my &quot;list&quot; of &quot;where to tell them to go&quot; you would I agree I am sure, lol.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:09 PM

SeaUrchin, I am still giggling at the thought of what you said . That would make an even better scenario.

The reason that my friend never heard from lover boy again, after knowing him for over 25 years, was that it was a hot day and the margaritas were flowing like water at his annversary party. He made a big deal about presenting his surprised wife with the trip.

Apparently for months, he had been bragging about the girlfriend to any one who would listen. His 21 year old daughter had discovered letters and had checked his email.

Somehow, my friend got blamed for spreading the word at the party, although almost everyone, except the family members already knew, and it was the main topic of conversation. Aparently they all liked the wife and and quite a few them thought he was a hypocite and disliked him. My friend was blamed for tellng the daughter something that she already knew. My poor friend was totally blameless and was immediately ostracized by the entire family.
Needless to say, she was devastated as she really liked the wife. Of course she couldn't explain it to the wife as there was nothing that she could possibly say.

As far as we know, the wife either ignored the gossip or overlooked the girlfriend. Busy body me, I wish that I knew what happened.

Moral of the story - if you have a secret - keep it a secret or don't serve unlimited alcohol to the people that you shared it with - especially if they already think that you are a jerk.

SeaUrchin .. I'm still laughing.

Nina

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Now I am laughing too, I thought, what the heck? I guess I was speed reading, lol.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Well, you (Dukey) obviously read these vague titled threads so it must attact you. However, if it bugs you and others then just ignore them.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM

LOL Nina and SeaUrchin, it is amazing how some of these threads go..I am laughing with tears on my face! That is quite a story Nina, not truly funny for the wife of course..but it is funny! No more speedreading for you SeaUrchin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -