Reload this Page >

Trip Report:Rome and Venice in a Wheelchair

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day 2,continued :
Dinner at Gusto-I had read an article and several positive posts which recomended the restaurant Gusto(Piazza Augusto Imperatore)This is awonderful environ for a great meal& nice wine list when you want a trendier dining change-nice.Back to the apt. and the night time spectacle of the Spanish Steps.From our terrace which was eye level and only 15 feet from the middle landing of the steps.See con artists ply their trade,watch horny youths,"study abroad,observe the phenomena that is the "asian group phot op".
Day3,4,5-Since many on this forum have plied the the haunts of the "centro storico"I wont waist anyones time with a boring rehash.I summarize-Toured Vatican museums/sistine chapel-We would have waited in a line that stretched mile(moral)travel with someone in a wheelchair-go to front of line.The Tiber from castel sant'angelo to trastevere is a great respit(large drooping canopy of trees-peaceful.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM

My friend went on a "girls" trip to Disneyland. She is not one to plan ahead and would have waited in long lines. However, one of the grandmas in the group was missing a leg and as such, they got to go to the front of the line for every ride. She came back saying that the ONLY way to tour Disneyland was with a one legged woman!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

As far as accessibility in Rome goes,my biggest concern was finding an apartment that had an elevator that would accomodate a wheelchair,as we dont usually do hotels for european trips.This is nearly impossible.I knew ahead of time that the elevator had a small seat that folded down.So you roll up to the lift,open the door,reach inside and transfer to the seat.(I believe that Im a lot more mobile than most people in my situation because I have alot of upper body strength.)Once inside you can deconstruct the wheelchair and surgically pull it inside.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

When moving about Rome in a wheelchair you have two options; stay on the sidewalk or hop into the floowwww of traffic!I began to grow tired of the stecatto stop/start of sidewalk life and chose to migrate with the other wheeled creatures.Everyone warns of dangerous Rome traffic,brushes with death by vespa or taxi etc.,but I believe the traffic and I reached an understanding.I realize others may be slightly less agressive.This is a good snapshot into my approach in regard to obstacles.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Of the major site venues I visited (vatican,pantheon,piazza navona,capitoline hill,trastevere,trevi,etc..The grandaddy of inaccessibility is the forum below piazza campodiglio.If you are in a chair( and have a person with you whom you have reasonable faith in their physical aptitude)It is possible to scoot down the steps
which lead into the forum.The 1st 150 ft is one giant wheely while your faithfull buddy holds your chair in the launch position.Upon reaching the street level of ancient Rome it is a trials course of ancient roman street consrtuction.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:14 PM

I read Part one of your report in your other post and commented that you have coined the Fodors Quote of the Week:

"Everything is Amusing with Good Wine..."

Keep going....
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks chicago lori
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

While in Rome we had some phenomenal meals at :
La Terrazza-not just great views
Antico Arco-make a reservation for around sundown.Take a cab to il faro(lighthouse on the janiculum hill),take great panoramic shots of your friends in front of all of Rome resting below,make your way down the sidewalk toward trastevere,and voila at the base of your descent is one of the few truly great little gems of "smart cuisine"found in Rome.
No matter where you are the italian people make all attempts to accomodate you however they can.In some way they seem to have invented the idea of decorum.
Beyond the high end meals which we partook of,the simple Roman classics of fritti fiori di zucca,or a
plate of arugula,bresaola and parmigiano!!!

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM

vinrouge-
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this report.I've seen lots of questions here about accessibility issues in Italy.It's good to find someone with first hand knowledge.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Terrific report vinrouge! It is especially interesting to me because at one time I did quite a lot of work with the ADA and tend to look at accessibility issues as I travel. I was delighted last October when we checked into our hotel in Prague and was told that we were to occupy their room for wheelchair bound guests our first night. The room met all ADA standards e,g., height of sinks and mirrors, type of shower, t.v. controls, plenty of room, etc. There was even a dedicated wheelchair lift up the 6 stairs from the entrance door to the room.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Vinrouge, where's Venice?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Hi, I'm roman and disabled. There's a road to get to Campidoglio square. I married on Campidoglio 20 years ago and I went by car until the Campidoglio square.

One must have a permit to access that road, but I guess a taxi can go expecially if tell that have a disabled person on it.

The problem could arise on return, but getting down could be easy though the road is a bit steep.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:55 AM

I really wish vinrouge had finsihed his report!
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

The much delayed finish to my report on Rome and Venice: Although I'm in a wheelchair,I teach at the college level and am an exhibiting artist.With a recent painting show, the last year has been very busy(www.chupikpaintings.com)Now as I plan for Spain in May,I turn my attention back to the boards (thanks missypie for taking interest in the little writing I did many months ago!Here's the rest for you)
VENICE trip -departure via train.Because I argued,reasoned and pleaded with the entire trenitalia staff(In Italian )for a solid hour we were able to travel in 1st class.An apparent right of passage for all who travel in Italy(all smiles and pleasantries the next day)
Arrival in Venice -and vaporetto to stop next Hotel Monacco and Grand Canal.Highly recommended for anyone(wheelchair or not)The views from the restaurant where you eat your breakfast every morning(right on grand canal across from the Dogana and Santa Maria della Salute) are worth the big ticket!Great staff,nice rooms.
Much was said about the extreme difficulty in seeing Venice while pushing around a wheelchair.It can be done and done well!My morning routine was to get up before sunrise and take some of the early vaporetti up and down the Grand Canal(6:30-7am) to take pictures .-best time to be out in Venice.-more to come.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Timely topic. I just returned from a business trip (domestic) where I stayed four nights at a hotel. Due to a foot injury, I rented a motor scooter during my stay. As I was working at the hotel, I never left the property. There are things I never thought about for people in wheelchairs. I loved the scooter and will rent in the future as I must run around hotels for up to 16 hours a day as a meeting planner. Injury or not, my tootsies can't do that any more.

Doors...doors were my enemy. To access the tower in which I was staying I needed to use my room key and open/close a heavy door. To get into my room I needed to open/close a heavy door. To access the ballroom doors I needed to open/close heavy doors. To access the ballrooms on the lower level the hotel's primary method was an escalator. There was one elevator that took me down near the kitchen, and what do I find upon exiting the elevator...heavy double doors. So much for being ADA compliant.

I stole one of the hotel's rubber doorstops. Would get off the scooter, bend down to the floor and prop open the door, get back onto the scooter, drive through, get off the scooter, bend down and remove the doorstop, get back on the scooter and be on my merry way. This got old. What do people who are wheelchair bound do? How do they enter/exit their rooms? This is one person who got an education this week.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:16 AM

Thanks so much, vinrouge!