Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Calling Europeans...Help us Americans shoo the "white" shoes!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
cherylforeurope

In regard to the current thread about wearing white tennis shoes in Italy....save us from ourselves!! and show us what you wear in lieu of our white tennis shoes....in the summer! Looking for a comfortable shoe with good support for those with various physical problems...so no sandals please. Here's a typical American shoe...what do you wear for walking miles...please show us!!

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/10442681/c/744.html

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just know this is a joke! That is a "typical American shoe"??? Please! I would not be caught in a pair of those shoes outside the gym and I live in the US!! Buy a pair of Mephistos or Ecco or one of the other dozens of brands of shoes that have been discussed here ad infinitum. Or wear black sneakers!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Too much blue in that example - don't go foo-foo on us!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
In February, as I waited for my plane from Boston to Paris, I watched a large school group of European teens lining up for their flight home with lots of Reeboks bags. They were all wearing shiny new white sneakers.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM

I only wear those at the gym!!

Yesterday, while in Manhattan, I witnessed a group of tourists decked out in yellow sweatsuits! It made me chuckle out loud. I have no idea where these people were from, but I'd rather wear white tennis shoes any day of the week than matching yellow outfits. I have no idea what they were wearing on their feet, lol.

It was obvious to me that they didn't ask the all important "What do I wear in NYC?" question on Fodors
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:29 PM
cherylforeurope

Okay, poor example...loose the color.. but you Americans know what I mean.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:30 PM

I was in Marseilles in February. Many people were wearing white tennis shoes, sneakers, trainer, gym shoes, whatever you want to call them. It made me curious so I started looking at shoe stores. At least 25% of the athletic wear on sale was white: white with a Nike swoosh, white with an Adidas logo, etc.

Now this is Marseilles. Not exactly a tourist Mecca. Most tourists just use Marseilles to springboard into Provence. So who is buying/wearing these white sneakers? Must be the locals. (I know I don't go to Europe to buy tennis shoes.)

When I would get close to people on the street wearing white sneakers, they invariably had incredible French accents. If you're sitting on a park bench looking at white tennis shoes and smugly saying "tourist" to yourself you're very easily wrong. Lots of French wear them. Some of the French wear blue jeans, have fanny packs, etc. too.

Including the family of four I sat next to on the TGV from Lyon to CDG. The man and woman in their late 30's had on sparkling white New Balance gym shoes, blue jeans and t-shirts with logos. Their two kids (one was overweight) had on similar attire. Were they taking the train to CDG? No they got off at Disneyland Paris.

Am I sure they weren't Americans? If they were they had the best French accents to go with their French fluency I've ever heard. Maybe they were from the French speaking part of Switzerland.

Bottom line. Respect nice restaurants and churches. Wear what you want.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:48 PM

I have never worn one of those "typical" shoes before! Now if I were an athlete, I might, perhaps, probably not...but why wear something like that on a trip? Unless you are running marathons in Europe?
I just got a pair of Geox pull on shoes that feel like bedroom slippers and a pair of Ecco "sneakers"...both in black LOL.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM

I will wear shoes almost exactly like that on my trip next week, and I always do. They are just grey instead of blue. I wear them because my feet hurt in other shoes after about 3 hours, even if I buy good quality "walking shoes" and put my custom orthotics in.

I really don't care what anyone there thinks about my shoe choice, and I have never been pickpocketed or mistreated on any trip while wearing those shoes.

I do switch to black walking shoes in the evening for a few hours.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I'm with Nikki on this one. I not only saw many European kids wearing white sneakers but old farts my age wearing 'em too. They're comfortable and I like being comfortable on vacation. This obsession with trying to look like a local gets tiring on this website. Do you guys don Lederhosen when you vacation in Munich?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
No matter where you travel, the natives know you are seeing the sights and want comfort but when you dine...that's a different story.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:17 PM

I walked all over couble stone roads in Europe last summer in Danskos. I'll repeat it this summer.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Neopolitan

Anyone who doesn't believe Europeans, specifically the French wear Nike type shoes for casual wear should just go to the huge flea marked at Clignancourt. There are row after row of booths selling those shoes by the thousands. Look around. Those aren't American tourists buying them.

Or for that matter look around anywhere you go that locals are dressed casually. Of course I'm not talking suit wearing businessmen on the Metro, but people strolling the parks or out in casual places on off work days.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Well Zeus, it wasn't lederhosen, but I did buy a dirndl in Vienna in 1972. It's probably still in my closet. Wouldn't do it today. Do they still wear them there?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Oh Nikki! You think I provide the visuals. Gonna wear that dirndl to the next Boston GTG?

If you do I'll try to dig up some lederhosen.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM
P_M

Hello, my name is P_M and I am a recovering white shoe addict.

No kidding, before joining this board it never occurred to me that anyone noticed my white shoes. But after a few years as a Fodorite, I have such a "white shoe" complex I don't dare wear them in Europe. Although I do still wear them here, I don't do it nearly as much as I used to.

To other white shoe addicts of America: Having worn white shoes is nothing to be ashamed of. It's an illness, but there is hope. The hardest part is admitting you have a white shoe problem and asking for help. I know what you're thinking--you've got it under control and you can throw out the white shoes any time you want. The problem is that you don't want to throw them out. It's a vicious cycle, but help is available. Just stick around this board long enough and pretty soon you won't even be tempted anymore. The sight of a white shoe will repluse you and evoke bad memories of the silly-looking tourist you once were. Trust me, it works!!

We'll discuss the fanny pack addiciton at our next meeting. (Yes, I know the British posters always get a good laugh whenever the word "fanny" comes up.)
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Okay, so these are the shoes that I am taking for all my day walking in Italy. Any comments???

I am also taking a pair of leather clogs and black heels (for evening).
http://www.naturalizer.com/shop_onli...25%25%25%2D%25
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM
P_M

LittleBella, not speaking for everyone but my post was pure sarcasm. If you like those shoes and they are comfy, then that's all that matters. Go for it!!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM

My name is Hester and I am a white shoe addict. In fact now as I type I am wearing the dreaded white running shoes as I just got back from a 3 mile run. If any of you are in Ireland in July you just might see me I will be the one (GASP)in the white Nike,Puma,Addidas ??? (I haven't bought them yet). I confess I have humulated myself in France, Italy, Great Britain, Spain and most of the states in the United States in the dreaded white (usually with some color)running shoes. But one thing I can say is my Dogs (feet) never BARK!
But even I would never ever stoop as low as a fanny pack. Oh please!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM

I say wear what makes you comfortable...why force yourself to dress to other's standards?

Sure, you might look like a tourist wearing bright white tennis shoes in different areas. But I think that the camera and northface coat and fold out map are more giveaways of being a tourist.

Where what makes you comfortable....not just what is en vogue to other people.

In Paris, many people were wearing tennis shoes...lots more than I had been told. But they were just usually darker colored and not the usually Nike or Reebok you see in the states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -