Backpack or Roller Bag?

Search

Backpack or Roller Bag?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpack or Roller Bag?

My husband and I are going to Italy (Rome, Cinque Terre and Florence) for 2 weeks in April. He's been, I never have. We're each planning on bringing only one bag. My question is, would it be easier to carry a (big)backpack around all those locations or just use my rolling suitcase? He says backpack, one of my friends says this was torture. Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:10 AM

We had "backpack" suitcases from LL Bean that were big enough to hold winter-type clothes for a March trip to Paris-London a few years ago. Sounded like a good idea at the time. When we got packed and were ready to head to the car, our 14-year-old daughter literally fell over backwards from the weight. We all complained through the entire trip - we're going with rolling bags with our other two children this trip.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Really depends on you, and on the terrain you'll have to traverse. If you're going to be parking near your hotels, meaning not dragging a rolling bag over cobblestones, it's fine. If you have to lug it a ways over less than smooth terrain, it'll be unfun and you'll wind up carrying it, without the shoulder straps of a backpack. It also depends on your physical health; if you can't physically support a backpack full of however much stuff you're bringing, well, there's your answer.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Personally, I'd much rather PULL it on wheels than heft it anywhere on my body.

If your husband prevails then make sure HE carries it everywhere!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Hi M,

I have a 21" rolling Eagle Creek that converts to a backpack if needed. I use it as a pack only when necessary as even a 21" is heavy (and I'm a recreational mountain backpacker)! I converted it to a backpack in Praiano, Amalfi Coast, due to many stairs to the hotel. Other places with cobblestones worked OK because it has rubber wheels like on rollerblades, ok for a short distance.

Buon viaggio!
Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
An absolutely individual decision. You won't find a concensus here. I am of the 22" rolling suitcase pursuation myself.

My second choice method, a duffle bag with shoulder strap.

Why don't you take the suitcase on wheels and let your husband take a backpack? No reason you need to use the same method.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM
ira

Hi M,
Ditto Suze.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Like pp said, it just depends. I would have never made it with a rolling suitcase because we traveled by train and had to do a lot of lifting and roller bags are just heavier. Plus, we always had stairs to climb at every hotel we stayed at and there's no way I could have gotten a rolling suitcase up all those stairs. My backpack was perfect for me and it left my hands free to deal with tickets, maps, and such. However, my DH carried a much larger backpack that never would have worked for me - it would have tipped me over, lol! If you go the backpack route, definitely pack it and try it out a couple of weeks before you go.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM

You can each use what works best, as suggested. My kids prefer backpacks, and I prefer a rolling suitcase. But it is a good point about stairs. If you're staying in budget accommodations, you might have to walk up 80 steps or so - would you prefer the suitcase or backpack then (I'd still prefer the suitcase).
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:18 AM

If you plan on taking a heavy bag and checking it through, thereby taking the chance of losing it, by all means, use a rolling bag.

However, if you want the security of knowing that everything you have is safe in the overhead compartment, you don't want a wheeled bag.

Airlines have weight restrictions for carryons. Last time I flew, Lufthansa weighed my carryon bag. It was just under their 17.6# limit. With my 2.5# non-wheeled bag I got to take 15# of clothes. If I had a wheeled bag, I could have taken less than 10.5#.

If you have a bag that meets the carryon requirements, it's not going to be too heavy to carry.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Consensus here or not, I'd still rather roll it over cobblestones than stumble over them with it on my back.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I was annoyed to see that on my last trip none of the airlines I used enforced the carry on weight/size restrictions. Airlines involved were Delta, Alitalia, Air France.

I checked my 21" roller because (once packed) it was too heavy according to their written and verbally confirmed restrictions. Then I watched while everyone else carried on not one, but two carryons (in addition to the "personal item", i.e., purse, laptop, etc. Argh!

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I'm going to Venice-Florence-CT in Maggio and was torn about the size/style of bag. I wanted to go carry-on throughout the trip... but I've been having a bit of shoulder tendonitis trouble lately and thought the backpack design might give me a few different ways to tote the bag. Go to someplace like REI and you can try out a bunch of styles and makes. The Eagle Creek bag is really nice, but I went with a Victorinox 22" Standard Traveler. I still can't believe how I'm gonna get everything for 2 weeks into it!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Another vote for the eagle creek roller-backpack convertible. I have the version that has a detachable daypack, which is very convenient - I use it detached as a carryon on the plane (thereby making the main bag fit in the overhead compartment) and for hiking/biking/picnics while travelling, and then attach it when moving between locations.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Try a few backpacks out and try a few rolling suitcases. See what you like best.

I did a three week backpacking type trip with lots of train travel a few years ago, and I used a backpack. I liked having my hands free, and the backpack was comfortable.

But the backpack I used was the backpack that I use for backpacking/hiking. It's designed to evenly distribute weight and is much more comfortable to wear than the suitcases that convert to a backpack.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Yes, agree that the convertible roller/backpark is not that comfortable to wear full time as a pack! Mine als has the detachable day pack and I get a lot of extra use out of that.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think convertibles are the worst of both worlds. I would either choose a decent rolling suitcase and use that (if you don't pack to heavy you simply pick it up the few times you cannot roll and bump on along) OR get a high quality good fitting backpack.

Realize that the wheeled mechanism adds a lot of weight and uncomfortable framing necessarily so a wheeled backpack would be the last thing I'd use myself.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM

We have a convertible rolling duffle with a detachable daypack by Timberland which is awesome and a larger 26" rollling duffle that also converts, but I cannot imagine doing that.

So I would get a rolling duffel that is lightweight and also converts so you have the best of both worlds. If you want to carry on, you may need to keep it under 22".
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM

"Consensus here or not, I'd still rather roll it over cobblestones than stumble over them with it on my back."

Oddly enough, I take exactly the opposite view - but then I have to pay my osteopath
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM

I always go with a combination of the two, a relatively small rolling suitcase that I check and a mid-sized backpack that I use as a carry on. That way when I'm getting on trains, I don't have one really heavy bag to use either way. I can carry part of the weight on my back (without it being too cumbersome) and lift the wheeled suitcase fairly easily. This is also an advantage when walking from the train to the hotel, I don't have to navigate sometimes crowded (or uphill) streets with a large, heavy bag in tow. I can put enough clothes etc. in the backpack/carry-on that I can get by for a few days if the checked bag is delayed. I have sometimes used a mid-sized back-pack that converts with wheels (nice after you check your other bag,not have to carry it around in the airport, but I have yet to find one that, when worn as a back pack, doesn't hurt where the wheels sit against my back. Maybe I just haen't found the righ one yet. Either way you go, just be sure to pack and then carry/drag your baggage around the block to get an idea of what it will be like on your trip. A few steps from the bedroom to the kitchen may not give you a true idea of what it will take to make the longer walks on your voyage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -