Pix - To go with Songdoc's Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel as if I should work for the Northern Ireland tourist board! It was absolutely gorgeous, as you'll see from the pictures I've finally posted at: http://photobucket.com/albums/f391/JBSongdoc/
(You don't need to join or do anything to see the pictures.)

As mentioned in my trip report, staying at Limepark Cottages (www.limepark.com) just outside of Armoy, added tremendously to the trip. I could very happily live there. My fantasy is to stay there for a month or more at some point.

If anyone has questions about the different cottages or anything about touring the area feel free to ask. And if you decide to stay at Limepark, tell Melanie that Songdoc sent you. I told her I would spread the word.

FYI, I took more than 400 pictures! It was hard to narrow them down, but I only posted my favorites. Go visit Northern Ireland!!!

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Thanks so much for sharing! We are headed that way at the end of the month.
We have been to the Giant's Causeway and Londonderry, but you have given me a perfect preview of other areas we will soon see.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Hi Songdoc,

You have certainly done a much better job than the NI Tourist Board (which as you know is c***).

Your pictures are lovely and I am so glad you had such a good time, I am heading up to the North Coast next weekend (weather permitting -it's been cold and snowing here since you left).

Hope the Lord Mayor was nice to you!

Thanks for sharing

Helen
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Songdoc, You are just the resource I was looking for. We are planning our first trip to Ireland in May and have decided to focus on the northern half of the island. Your photos were great. I'm trying to decide where to find accomodations and Armoy looks like a good spot to tour several of the sights we're interested in. Where would you recommend we stay on the western coastline?
My husband's ancestors are from Monaghan and we want to go there, too, as well as the Galway/Westport area. We have 2 weeks and we fly into and out of Dublin.
My husband and son want to fly fish while there, too. Do you have any experience with that? Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Wonderful pictures , and we so seldom see NI. I don't blame you for wanting to live at Limepark!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Songdoc, Great photos. They brought back fond memories! Looks like you had some very good weather. Love the photo of Cushendun.

Limepark looks great. Did they have any apartments with larger than a double bed? Or maybe two beds? Were they squeeky clean? Were linens and towels provided. Any extra costs like fuel? As you can tell, I am considering them for my next trip. Thanks so much.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM

songdoc, cool pixs, thanks for posting them.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Grantier –

To tour the areas I visited, I'd say that Armoy was a perfect base – because it's situated between the Glens and the best of the coastal highlights, such as the Giant's Causeway, Ballintoy, Murlough Bay, Dunluce, Bushmill's, etc. (Belfast was about a one hour drive.)

I loved the charm and setting of Limepark cottages in Armoy, but bear in mind that Armoy is very tiny, and there's really very little here. There was an abundance of B&B's, shops, and restaurants in nearby Ballycastle, (about a 10 minute drive) but my preference was to stay in a beautiful, peaceful, rural setting, rather than a town. I loved having chickens and horses to watch and play with, as well as beautiful views—and being able to drive into the town. (I never knew horses could be so sweet. I swear that one of the horses laid his head on my chest as I'd pet him!)

I'm afraid I’m not the person to ask about the Western coastal area—that’ll be my next trip! We concentrated on the Antrim coast (in the North) this time. Likewise, I don’t know anything about fly fishing.

I know you'll have a wonderful time. I can hardly wait to return.

Helen –

Thanks for your comments. FYI, the Lord Mayor was a delight and he gave us a personal tour of the City Hall. That's one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.

IrishEyes –

Yes, we were incredibly lucky with the weather. Helen says it's been cold and even snowing since we left! We had day after day of cold, crisp, sunshine and blue skies!

There are two bedrooms (each with a double bed) in the cottage called "The Long Barn" (a former grainery). It’s very spacious—the largest of the cottages. I don't recall any of the other cottages having beds larger than doubles.

To my standards, the cottages were "squeaky clean" and linens and towels were provided. There were no additional costs of any kind. The fireplace had wood in it when we arrived and we were provided with a very large additional basket of wood. There was a welcome tray with packets of coffee, tea, cocoa, and snacks. The kitchen had everything I needed: microwave, dishwasher, coffee press, pots & pans, etc.

There's a washer and dryer available as well. To give you an idea of how accommodating the hosts (Melanie & John) were . . . one of the other guests had forgotten to return the key to the laundry room when she left to go sightseeing. Rather than ask me to wait until the guest returned with the key, they did my laundry in their own home – and returned it to me folded! When I mentioned that I loved their dogs and wished I could walk them, they went to great efforts to provide maps and directions—so that I could take their dogs for a walk in the forest.

FYI, there's a also a lovely, separate game room with a billiard table, large screen TV, and a huge selection of videos and DVDs, as well as many books.

If you do contact Melanie please let her know that I referred you. She and John were so kind, I promised them I would tell others about their little slice of paradise. I want to go back!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Grantier,

I know nothing about fishing but my nephew(who does), reliably informs me that the best fishing in NI and according to him in Ireland is The Upper Bann (Co Armagh) and Lough Erne (Co Fermanagh). Both counties border Co Monaghan.

The Northern Ireland Tourist Board might be able to give you more information but there web site, as Songdoc found out, is virtually useless. However it should give you some details about permits etc.

Hope this helps.

Helen
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Helen, Thanks so much for the fishing suggestions. I'll look those areas up and fit them into the itinerary.
Songdoc, I emailed Melanie and they do have room for us in May and she also gave some suggestions as to other attractions in the area. We might take a ferry over to a Scottish island and hopefully see seals, otters, dolphins, birds, etc.

Thanks to both of you. Grantier
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Songdoc, Thanks a million! That is just the info I needed. Will the owners of Limepark know your Fodors user name? I will certainly tell them that you recommended it.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi IrishEyes. Yes, Melanie & John at Limepark know I'm the "Songdoc" (but my name is Jason). Thanks for asking -- and for letting them know I'm singing their praises.

Have you visited this area before? If you have any questions let me know.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:54 PM

Songdoc, thanks for sharing your photos. They're great! Love the scenic shot of Dunluce Castle. Also seeing your photo of St. George's market in Belfast really makes me feel like I'm there...I'm going to try to fit that into our Belfast visit.

I just printed out your trip report so I can read it and highlight it. Skimming over your trip report, I notice you took in Giant's Causeway and Dunluce castle and Antrim coast on this trip...all places I have included so far in our first family trip itinerary for Ireland July 2006. I notice you've also been to Dingle previously.

Maybe you're just the person to ask about my itinerary, if you wouldn't mind, as Northern Ireland is so fresh in your mind. Here is our itinerary, planned to interest our whole family of 4 people with widely varying interests, ranging from biology and nature to shopping and music to history and castles. After the itinerary I have included a question if you have time to answer it.

Fly into Shannon; arrive afternoon.
1 night: Bunratty Lodge
3 nights: Dingle Peninsula (Heaton's guesthouse)
3 nights: Drumcreehy house, Ballyvaughan, County Clare.
3 nights: Westport, County Mayo.
2 nights: b&b near Bushmills (Craig Park)
2 nights: Hillsborough (Fortwilliam country house)
1 night: Malahide
fly home from Dublin.

Okay, here's my question. My itinerary is designed with lots of 3-night stays because that's the only way we will get to see things in each county which will satisfy each family member's individual interests. However, I ran out of time at the end, and am wondering if it's a mistake to have only 2 nights up near Bushmills (for Giant's Causeway and Dunluce castle area); then check out of b&b and take Antrim coast drive, ending up with 2 nights in Hillsborough (south of Belfast). We will use Hillsborough as a base for seeing Belfast, Ulster Folk and TRansport Museum, etc...Yeah, a lot to do in just those 2-night stays. By the time we get to Malahide for our final night, we won't actually see Malahide or Dublin at all!

What do you think? Have I divided up my nights well enough? I could skip staying up near Busnmills, (that would mean not seeing the Giant's Causeway or the Dunluce castle area), and add those nights to Hillsborough/Belfast area and to Malahide/Dublin area.

I hope I haven't confused you. Anyway thank you for sharing your trip report and your great photos!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Songdoc-

When did you travel here? I would like to go in November. Thoughts?

Also, I notice Limepark offers courses. Do you know about those?

How it the Little Pigs room?

Thanks!

Clancy
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM

ttt
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

First, Melissa5 –

Your itinerary looks great to me. It's a tough call . . . I stayed eight days near the Antrim coast and then five days (part of the time working) in Belfast – and I would have happily stayed longer! There's no way to do it "all" but it seems like you've got an enormous amount covered in your itinerary. Two nights in Bushmills should give you enough time to see the Causeway and Dunluce Castle, as well as Murlough Bay and Ballintoy Harbour, which were absolutely beautiful. Another thought (in case you're not overwhelmed enough) is to include a day in the Glenariff Forest Park for the nature lovers. There's a beautiful two-mile walk called “the waterfall trail.” It’s a perfect place to picnic.

I didn't get to the museums outside of Belfast so I can't comment on them. The only other thing I'll add is to suggest Carrickfergus Castle. It's quite well preserved and is not far from Belfast (about 7 miles).

But the biggest suggestion . . . be sure to buy lots of potato farls and oat cakes. I'm addicted!

Clancy –

My trip to N. Ireland was during the last two weeks of February. Apparently, we had remarkably good weather. You'll have to check with Melanie at Limepark re: the courses. I believe they are usually for artists (i.e., painters). I'd go back anytime of year. My fantasy is to spend a month or more and work on my latest book.

I liked the Little Pig's House very much. It’s the smallest of the cottages but very charming and I would have been perfectly comfortable sharing it. The bed is built into an alcove. It has a very nice kitchen and a sitting room.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Songdoc, thanks for your suggestions and comments on my itinerary. Yes, I hope to see Glenariff Forest park on the drive down from Bushmills area to Hillsborough. We can take the Antrim coast road, and if it's nice weather picnic and hike at Glenariff. If we get down to Carrickfergus castle in time I hope to see that too.

Yes we do cover a lot in our 15 nights in Ireland. I see you understand how much more you can see the longer you stay in one place. Some people have told me I'm spending too much time at each stop but I don't agree! If anything I'm spending too little time at each stop.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Oat cakes sound great! Looking forward to it. Potato farls sound curly and wonderful.(Not curly?)
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

I love spending a bit of time in each area and using it as a base to explore. You get a chance to get your bearings --and another benefit is if you have terrible weather one day when you plan to see a particular scenic area, it might clear up the next.

FYI, oat cakes are flat, crunchy crackers made with oatmeal. Potato farls are flat, doughy, bread-type squares made with potatoes. You can use them for sandwiches, to mop up gravy, or warm them and pretend they'r potato pancakes. I'm so addicted, I'm going to have to try and make them.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Songdoc, I must say (one more time) how much I am enjoying seeing your Ireland photos again...our first trip is coming up in July! Looking at your pix is a good way to de-stress now that I am getting more frantic as I'm running out of time to prepare for the trip...

Our trip includes 2 nights in a country house near Bushmills, a drive down the Antrim coast, and 2 nights in Hillsborough. Plus time in the Republic of Ireland.

Thanks again for trip report and photos!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Great pics!! I was in Northern Ireland in 2004 and loved it. I'm ready to go back!! My little homebase had been Ballintoy, at a b&b right across the street from the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge entrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -