I shall carry a bright pink purse in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn’t so much a question, as a personal Declaration of Independence. I’ve been “lurking” on this board since before I took a trip to Dublin last April. I’ve never posted a question before, since all of mine were answered with a search. And I’ve never posted an answer, feeling a general lack of authority on most topics. Now I suddenly have something to say.

One thing that I learned from my lurking is that the LeSportSac Everyday Bag is the perfect handbag with which to travel. I bought a bright pink one with green & yellow hearts on it for my trip to Dublin, and have barely been able to part with it since. Before that purse, I was one of those women who would change out her bag every night to match the shoes/outfit for the next day. Now I inappropriately, and with great frequency, carry this pink bag to the office. I do cut myself some slack here because I believe I am one of three women in Los Angeles who actually walks to work, often in suit & heels. So, on most days, I let myself carry this bag which weighs almost nothing, has a thousand zippers & individual pockets for my cell, my ipod, etc. and has room for a book, papers, even the occasional bottle of water.

This April, I am headed to Paris for the first time. I thought about buying a black Everyday Bag in an effort to look ever so slightly more chic, but somehow the black bag lacks the charm of mine. So I’ve made the possibly unprecedented decision to carry a bright pink purse in Paris. Not to worry – almost everything else is black. Black high-heeled boots, comfy black walking shoes, black boot-cut pants, so I think they’ll still let me in the country. My husband has supported me in this decision and has vowed to protect me from the rotten produce that will be thrown at me as I walk down Champs-Elysees. If it all gets to be too much, the pointing, the curses, the young Parisian women shielding the eyes of their children and small dogs to spare them the sight of my pink purse, I may relent and buy a new purse in Paris.

Hmmm… you know, I might just relent and buy a new purse in Paris even if the Parisians have no opinion on my handbag whatsoever.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM

A shocking pink purse with an all-black outfit would be totally cool in NYC and, I am sure, in Paris.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:36 PM

You go, milogirl! You should read an essay called "Paris in Pink" in the Traveler's Tales Paris volume.

@wliwl: Little quick with the troll buzzer, aren't you?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:43 PM

@dejavu: Just callin' it like I see it...
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM

I'm with you, milogirl. Great first post!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Great title ! The bag is perfecto, all black and accessorize with color. You just need to get hot pink earrings, a hot pink scarf, and if you're really daring, eyeshadow to match

BTW, I think bright is good, harder to lose. I got my toiletries bag and makeup pouch in red, and my reading light in red because they are easier to spot and not lose

Have a blast you hot pink toting handbag girl!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Congrats on your decision. Hot pink Converse style tennis shoes were in all the window the last time I was in Paris. You will look very chic!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM

I have a totally bright red with yellow and blue Chinese design Sportsac that I bought 3 years ago and never could bring myself to use. Finally I used it for a trip to Hawaii and then to Brazil because it holds everything and is so glaring I could not forget it on the airplane,taxi, car, anywhere. It works but in Paris...I don't know. Of course, you might be setting a new fashion. FYI..you are not a troll but an intelligent board member.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reality check, starrsville. Of course you're right. BTW - I actually do have a pair of pink Converse, but those are staying home.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM

If the converse are comfy, bring them! I'm looking for a pair of good comfy black walking shoes this month before my trip. BTW, I too am in LA, and have such plain fashion...fashion and LA are overrated IMHB
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:57 PM

except, wliwl, when they are going to Paris (topic of a million past threads) and have stated that they actually did the 'search' and found their answers...
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Two related travel questions, in the (frivolous) spirit of the original poster:

1. I shall wear my trousers rolled. Will this be an issue in Paris?

2. Do I dare to eat a peach?

....With apologies to T. S. Eliot
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Only if the mermaids are singing each to each....
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Ask questions without doing a search first and you get in trouble.

Do a search and don't ask questions and you get in trouble.

Oh sigh!

milogirl, your purse sounds great. I have never thought about having a bright colored one while travelling, it would help with not losing it. I may take my red purse the next time I travel. I need to buy a smaller piece of luggage and plan to buy something in a color other than black as there are so many black pieces of luggage at baggage pickup at the airports. I put red cords on my mine but that looks so stupid, LOL. Have a wonderful time in Paris and please post a trip report after your return home and get settled in.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM

My, we sure are judgemental on this Sunday afternoon, aren't we.

milogirl, I did the same as you. I planned an entire trip to Paris and Provence by lurking and researching and reading and learning from the never-ending information available on this FREE site provided by Fodorites who love to travel.

I am truly sorry that your attempt at humor landed so badly. What an unfortunate first experience with posting.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Milogirl, use your pink purse and have a great time in Paris! You will enjoy yourself so much more if you feel you are you and not some created person just for this trip. More important than your pink purse is a pleasant, polite and respectful attitude. You will be just fine with your pink purse and your sense of humor. Thanks for introducing yourself to us in such an amusing way.

Have a wonderful trip and keep posting!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I have two pink wonderful Prada purses, one I purchased in Florence (I have a photo of it on my pbase). The other I bought in Bev Hills so someone must be wearing them. By all means take it. I am taking my Balenciaga pink purse next month. Have fun! Be yourself!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Ah well, at least I can’t say that the responses to my first message board post weren’t interesting. At this rate, this might very well turn out to be my one and only post, but I still won’t be a troll. BTW – is that “troll” as in “troll the lake for fish” or “troll” as in the hideous creature under the bridge? I would prefer to think of myself as the former, rather than the latter, but of course, it’s a verb…

TamaraEden – I love my Munro shoes. Nordstrom is a great place for comfy shoes of all descriptions.

wliwl – To set your mind at ease, I’ll tell you that I already have tickets to CDG on Air Tahiti and have made my lodging arrangements. And believe it or not, I chose the flight and the lodging without consulting any message boards. I’m still not sure what’s so suspicious about saying “I’m going to (big city)” either with or without toddlers on a travel message board. I thought that was the function of the board. And everyone has to post a first time, which, at that point, would of course be the only time, right? Anyway, no worries. You feel that you had valid reasons to doubt my sincerity. Who am I to argue with that?

Everyone who took my post in the lighthearted way that it was intended, and maybe even enjoyed it – Thanks. Hope the rest of your weekend is swell.

Everyone who found my post to be a suspicious, unfunny, and possibly subversive piece of prose – Hope the rest of your weekend is swell, too.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Don't take it all so seriously.
Let your free spirit match your purse and let remarks pass on by.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

One more thing – I should really acknowledge that almost all of the responses were kind & funny. I guess I was just surprised to be met with such skepticism & told to “leave it to the professionals.” My post was just silly. I really didn’t think I’d get much response to it. A couple of the responses seemed out of proportion. Trust me, after this, I will not make any efforts to move this post back up to the top of the list.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that I made it clear how charming I found most of your responses, instead of just focusing on the couple of negative replies. Truly, I hope everyone has a nice evening

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -