Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Husband wants to attend Mass at the Vatican is this possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby wants to attend a Mass with the Pope on Sunday. Is this possible? He's Catholic but I am not--does this pose a problem? How do you go about doing this if it is possible and what is the time? Suggestions? Thank you!!!!!
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:00 AM

I don't know about attending Mass on Sunday, but if you're there on Wednesday, there's a Mass at 10, I believe. You have to get tickets on Tuesday from the Swiss Guard, but we didn't do it, so I'm not sure how. Otherwise, at noon on Sunday, the Pope comes out from his window and says a blessing, as well as some other stuff.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
www.santasusanna.org will have information about the Wednesday mass and how to get tickets.
http://www.santasusanna.org/popeVati...peVatican.html

The Vatican website is www.vatican.va

The Sunday blessing doesn't require tickets.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:43 AM

If you go on a Sunday get there a bit early. The "congregation" for the 10:00 Mass is pretty much gathered toward the front of the nave and a barrier is put up. You can still participate from behind the barrier but you won;t be as close.

Be aware that The Pope does not necessarily celebrate this Mass.

There may be a large number of folks outside for the blessing but you won;t have any trouble seeing The Pope when he appears at the window and his words are well-amplified so you won't have any trouble hearing him either.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:16 AM

You have to obtain tickets at least several days prior from the administrative offices to the right of the basilica as you face it. Just ask for directions. The Vatican is not big. The tickets are free and it doesn't require "knowing" anyone on the inside or having any "pull".
The priest who doles out the tickets conducts a short interview, and if there are still tickets available, will tell you where and when to pick them up.
You should be at the basilica at least 2 hours early, jacket-and-tie is good, but I've seen many men wearing sweaters and slacks.
The pope does not really celebrate that many public masses, except for holidays and beatifications or canonizations of saints.
It is possible to write to the Vatican to obtain tickets prior to the trip. However, this seems to take a lot of time and you may not hear from them in time. I find it easier to see them in person to obtain tickets.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

How early should I get there? I don't really want to stand for 3 hours. Is that what's required to see the Pope though? I wish we didn't fly back on Wednesday!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM

If you're going for the Angelus (prayer in the Square), just a few minutes before noon on Sunday is fine. No tickets required, just look up at the Pope's window.
If you want to attend a mass in
St Peter's, there's a schedule at:
http://www.stpetersbasilica.org/touristinfo.htm#mass
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM

The Pope does not say Mass on Wed...that is the "audience" with the Pope. You do need tickets. Your parish priest can arrange them, or the link provided by kybourbon will work.

I think it is just luck if you happen to be there on a Sunday when the Pope actually says Mass.

Anne
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM

What time should one get to the square for just the blessing on Sunday?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM

The Pope's schedule of public celebrations is...public. It's found here:

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/...lendar_en.html