Reload this Page >

Paris: Hotel Minever or Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:43 PM
To_Paris

I've still obsessing about our hotel choice.

We've decided not to stay in the 7th, but rather the 5th or 6th. We're now considering either the Hotel Minerve or Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche - both in the 5th.
Haven't been able to find something in our price range in the 6th (150-200 Euros/night).

I've had replies on other threads about the hotels and wondering if you've stayed at either, what the triple rooms are like, the location (noisy, near metro, restaurants, etc.)

We do need to put this decision behind us and start packing!

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can relate to your problem. I find Paris a very difficult city to book a hotel in because I can never really decide in which area I want to stay, and even then there are too many choices.

I know nothing about the Minerve, but I have been in the Henri IV when a good friend was staying there 2 years ago. SIL and BIL also stayed there quite recently and loved it. Rooms are small (what else is new?) but nicely appointed. Location is quite good.

In the spirit of "must stop obsessing about hotel, must book and move on," we finally decided to stay at the Henri IV in September.

BTW, the Henri IV is in the same group of hotels as the de Lutece on the Ile St Louis. We stayed there two years ago and loved it.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:24 AM

In the 6th, you can have a look at HOtel Rive Gauche, http://www.hotelrivegauche.com, it is in your budget, near metro stop Saint Germain, very good location, clean hotel and nice guys at the reception.
In the 5th, I've stayed at Hotel Vendome Saint Germain, in my opinion, it is a very good location, near metro stop Maubert Mutualité, a few steps fro Luxembourg Garden, Sorbonne and at walking distance from St Michel and Notre Dame. Hotel is very clean and area is safe, very lively. Rooms have balconies too...
http://www.paris-hotelvendome.com

Have a nice trip!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:18 AM
To_Paris

Thanks for your replys and info.

Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche looks really nice and here are my questions about it:

- I read on this site that someone thought it was really nice, but in a very touristy neighborhood and street. When I looked on line at the neighborhood, it did seem that way.
- The Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche will cost us about $500 more than Minerve for the time period we'll be there. Wondering if it is worth that extra money.
- Does anyone know the neighborhood of the Minerve?
Thanks

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM

We've stayed at the Minerve and love the neighborhood. Walking distance to Notre Dame, Panthenon, Rue Mouffetard. Two metro stops very close by - Cardinal Lemoine or Jussieu which get you everywhere. Lots of restaurants and cafes, the area is very safe.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:46 AM
To_Paris

Thank you LoriNY - Glad you liked the area. That is what I thought by reading about it. Was the street very noisy - or not a problem. I guess since our room will face the back it would not be a problem for us for sleeping. Of course, we won't have cute view of street. but, can't have it all.
Was the room clean an in good condition.

I've noticed that on trip advisor the Minerve is listed as #267 in popularity while the Henri IV is listed as #35. Don't know if that really tells the story.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I have no idea how TA calculates the "popular" ranking... by number of 'hits'?
I would totally ignore the 'ranking' and just go by the written comments.

p.s. most any hotel in areas near the Seine will be "touristy", as tourists like to be very centrally located...
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I think, not sure, that the popularity ratings on tripadvisor have to do not with rankings of a list of hotels, but with the number of times a hotel is recommended and then perhaps on the rating. So a hotel that is relatively unknown (not mentioned in many guidebooks, for example) might have only 3-4 rave recommendations but can't compete in popularity with a more well-known place that has 20 reviews.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Hotel Minerve is sure to be a nice accommodation because it is a Karen Brown recommendation. We have stayed at more than thirty KB inns and B&B's and have never been disappointed. We have had several negative experiences with Frommer and Rick Steve's places. Good luck in your choice!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Why keep asking the same questions on different threads? There's all sorts of responses out there about these hotels.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34652718
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Right across the street from Hotel Henri is St. Severin church. Next to the church is rue de petite pont which connect Rue de St.Jacques with St.Michel. It's lined with cheaper, mostly Greek restaurants. I'm not saying the neighborhood is bad, just very touristy. Our triple room was on the inside of the hotel so noise was not an issue. The up side is that you're only a couple of blocks from the Seine.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM
To_Paris

Thanks to all for your information and patience with my never-ending questions about hotels. We've decided to stay at the Minerve. It is the least expensive and seems like a great area. So, once again, that you.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Please report back on the Minerve, as I will do on the Henri IV.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Marilyn, if you have any questions about Henri IV, I may be able to help.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
To_Paris

OK - Will do when we return. Mostly my decision was based on the Henry IV costing us about $500 more for our stay. We decided that we' d rather have that money for other things during our stay. Also, we thought that we wouldn't like the touristy street below. The rooms looked terrific, especially the triple with the extra little area for the third bed.
Hope we're making the right choice! In a pinch, I guess we can always change hotel once there. We hope to not spend very much time in the hotel, but rather exploring.
Enjoy Henri IV and I'll look forward to your report. When are you there?

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have stayed at the Familia, which is next to the Minerve. Make sure you go to the Kayser bakery on rue Monge. Go early and often.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM
To_Paris

Thanks Nikki -
I can taste the pastry already...

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Thanks, sandi. Any recommendations for good restaurants nearby would be appreciated. Anywhere close by you really liked for coffee and croissants in the morning? As we've discovered on previous stays, not all cafes are created equal.

To Paris, we're there from Sept 23-29. You?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Yes! Please post a follow up on the Minerve. I also loved the area, but hated the hotel. In fact, the staff ruined my stay in Paris! But I've heard quite a few people say they were OK with it.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM
To_Paris

Oh No!!!!!!!!!

MelissaHI - Are you kidding that your stay at Minerve ruined your stay in Paris. That sounds awful, and, since we just decided to stay there quite (NO - VERY) Worrisome.

PLEASE - tell me what happened - I may still have time to make yet another change!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -