Poistano or Sorrento

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poistano or Sorrento

Any suggestions for a stay in the Amalfi area. Sorrento or Positano--Does it make a difference? We will be relying on public transportation. Want very nice hotel but one in which we can walk to restaurants-THKS
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM

Sorrento is a larger town than Positano - so you will need to select a hotel more carefully to be cenral enough to walk to a lot of places to eat.

More importantly - why are you going?

Sorrento is more convenient for day trips - to Capri, Naples, Pompeii etc - since it has train service and you are not stuck on the tiny coast road. But it is a larger town and not so resortish.

Positano is quieter and smaller - but taking the road anywhere in midsummer can be hell - although there is reasonable boat service to many places.

If you decide to stay in Sorrento I reco the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria. It has extensive grounds with a beautiful pool and a lovely garden - but the hotel's gates open onto the town's main square. There is also a private elevator from the hotel down to the dock for hydrofoils to Capri etc.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
ira

ttt
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM

Hmmm... we stayed in both towns this past May and we actually weren't huge fans of Positano. There is not much to do at all except shop in overpriced stores and (if the weather is nice - it was not for us) lay on the beach.

I described our thoughts about both Sorrento and Positano pretty thoroughly in my trip report if you want to take a look.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34625798
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:04 AM

Very much a difference between the two; above posters have already touched on those. I've only stayed in Positano, and so my opinion is biased .... breathtaking views .... yes, Sorrento is more convenient for day-tripping, however I adore the charm & unique 'vertical' character of Positano.

This topic is a frequently discussed on this forum. Here are a few of the many threads which you may find helpful ....

Sorrento or Positano?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34579547

Will we be missing out if we stay in Sorrento for 7 nights?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34613861

10 nights in Positano-too many?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34613967

NICE HOTEL ??? If in Positano, there's the very nice (& very expensive) Le Sirenuse ..... a good thread on that as well as other nice hotels >>>
Positano/Amalfi Coast - Le Sirenuse?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34593317

Too pricey? Then here are several other options >>>
Villa Rosa or Miramare in Positano?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34564914
and
Positano Albergo California
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34476089
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for moi, it's been 6 yrs since I stayed @ Villa Rosa; thumbs up for me. And over the years, it's consistently gotten positive reviews on this board. Also stayed @ LaFenice Bed & Breakfast, however it's on edge of town with fairly simple accommadations. Overall I preferred the VR.

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:06 AM

I'm staying out of this one.

Ira, how about Le Sirene? Where are you?
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ira, Excelsior in Sorrento is exactly what we need. We have to rely on public transportation or private drivers as we can't rent cars any more. and we want to go to Capri
and Pompeii
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:12 PM

Bellevue Syrene and Hotel Tramontano are worth looking at, too. Both 4-star hotels, as opposed to the 5-star Excelsior Vittoria. They won't be as expensive as the Excelsior Vittoria, but they definitely have equally astonishing views from many of the rooms, and are very well-located for walking to many restaurants, shops, etc.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM

Sorrento definitely! X-lent train service, center of town has lots of restaurants, shopping etc. Has a variety of hotels...some reasonable and some very expensive. Some are within walking distance of center of town and some shuttle.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM

I don't like Sorrento. I think it is cheap and tacky.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:14 PM

I think it makes a big difference. You get a totally different experience staying in Sorrento vs. Positano. In my opinion Positano is unique in its charm and beauty. Sorrento is just another mid-size city with nothing out of the ordinary to recommend it. Also, the transportation options in Positano are not that much different (ferry, car service, bus), except for train. Just my opinion of course.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:39 PM

JenV -

The facct that the train goes to Sorrento makes most of the day trips faster. Even if you want to take the bus to somewhere from Sorrento - you're like an hour closer than you are in Positano.,

Granted ii is a bigger town - and not so cutesy - but for the OP's needs it sounds like a better choice.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi SU,

I don't think that Praiano would be appropriate for the OP.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:01 AM

Sorrento does have some beautiful hotels, and it's much easier to get to Pompeii and Capri . But it's also overrun with British tourists ( not that there's anything wrong with that) and tour buses in the summer, and it has the feel of a city, complete with traffic and tacky bars.

Positano also has its share of tourists in the summer, but it has a flavor, charm, and beauty that Sorrento is-- for the most part-- sorely missing.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM

author: Grinisa,
In 2003 you answered us regarding travelling in Puglia, south of Bari. We went to Alberobello and the Tullie houses.It was unbelievable! While we were there they had a hugh religious feast that reminded me of the feasts in "little Italy" once upon a time in N.Y.
Visiting Gallipoli was really great. The fishing boats unloading their catches, sorting the fish in little crates. restaurant vehicles pulling up to the dock, filling up their trucks. The leftover fish, being sold to the locals. Lots of bargaining. Quite a show. Many thanks for all your recommendations.
This year we will visit Vieste for 3 days along with some of the other east coast ocean towns.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM

TO: Patrick
We reserved 3 days at the Grotto Palazzes in Polignano di Mare. Excited about this. Will check with you in October.

TO: LoveItaly
Will stay 3 days in Pescara. Hope to enjoy.