Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

THANKS, Beatchick, Scarlett, Elaine, Ira, Dave, Grandmere, Budman & Robespierre!!!

THANKS, Beatchick, Scarlett, Elaine, Ira, Dave, Grandmere, Budman & Robespierre!!!

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for helping me with my short(but still DECADENT & lovely) one-week trip to Paris!!!

I am a little too tired right now to post a trip report. But wanted to send my thanks and well wishes in advance.

Some quick notes:

1) I was in Paris from June 1 to June 8, and boy, was the weather wacky! Going from 45 to 80 degrees, rain one second, sunny and sticky the next.

2) Paris is considered a top contender for the 2012 Olympics, along with London. (I'm a New Yorker, but I don't think we stand a chance!)

3) Even with the dog-poop problem, PARIS IS MUCH CLEANER than NYC.

4) I love how you can find great food in Paris at the most unexpected times and places. Example: My hubby and I were taking photos of Tour Eiffel at midnight on a Monday and ran into a wonderful CREPE stand that was still operating. ANOTHER EXAMPLE: Right by the CHENONCEAU castle in the Loire Valley, there was a cute snack stand which made THE BEST AWESOME CROQUE MONSIUER EVER...Vive la France!

Talk to you soon...
Betty
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Welcome back -- glad to hear you had a great time!!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:52 AM
ira

Glad we could help, betty.

Welcome back.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Budman and Ira!

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I'm especially eager to hear about your visit to Honfleur. We didn't get to Etretat, more's the pity!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Bienvenue!

Glad it went well
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Grandmere: Unfortunately our Normandy drive got totally rained out! That's okay, though, because we will return to France and plan to spend more time in the whole Normandy region instead of just a one-day hit-and-run. Also, we managed to eat at Bistrot de Breteuil in Paris our first night. The atmosphere was very jovial...lots of regulars. Loved the fact that it was a short walk to see the Tour Eiffel all lit up at night too.

Hi, Elaine!

If any of you would like to hear our Paris restaurant/shopping/tour raves, etc., let me know.

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:31 AM

yes please, when you can
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Defintely want to hear more. Everything, in fact.

We leave on Tuesday and I'm still trying to figure out what to take, weather-wise.

Did you do the iPod tour at Chenonceau, and if so, how was it?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM

What a sweet Thank you!
I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip and I look forward to hearing / reading every single detail

Welcome home, betty Scarlett
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:53 AM

welcome home, betty!

Quick! Can you give me a run-down of your shopping raves! I'm leaving for the airport in 3 hours!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I'm not betty, but I did the Ipod tour for Chenonceau last year (to answer your question, elle).

Quite good, I thought. There's a fast and a slow one, if I remember. I took the fast one and it's probably about an hour (or just a little longer).

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Betty, what a sweetie you are to report back when you're still jet lagged! You know we're all waiting to hear about the <i>shopping!</i> I'm sure you've come back from Paris looking tres chic.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Amarena: 3 hours??! What pressure! Okay, I LOVED the Marais region (4th arrondissement) because it is filled with endless beautiful little boutiques for lovely clothes, jewelry and shoes. Also interspersed with a number of modern art galleries. You could easily spend a day wandering this beautiful quarter. Just grab a good street map and let your instincts and your eyes lead you around.
If you are more of a big department store person, BON MARCHE, apparently, is the preferred place of Parisians with endless beautiful goods. However, if you want a 10% foreign tourist discount, go to GALERIES LAFAYETTE. I did not like Galeries Lafayette, because it gave me a headache -- too big! But that's just my preference. It has a vibe like MACY'S in NYC. I never made it to BON MARCHE because I stuck to the little boutiques. HAVE FUN!!

Elle: Yes, we did the iPod tour of Chenonceau. I enjoyed it. Especially the fact that the lectures were interspersed with medieval music (harpsichord, violin, etc.), which was really great for putting you in the mood of that time period. Plus, there is just so much detail to the castle and its history, that you can't really grasp it if you are wandering around yourself. (Unless you are already a scholar; I'm not.) Was glad to see that the castle was just as magical and romantic as when I saw it 17 years ago!! Even visited the estate wine cellar right next to the castle.

Elaine/Elle/Scarlett: Our most romantic and lovely dining experience in Paris was LE COUPE CHOU in the Latin Quarter, hands down! My husband and I actually met up with our Italian relatives here, and we were all transfixed by the beauty and atmosphere of this place. The manager of the place mentioned that the building dates back to the 13th centry, and was again expanded in the 14th and 15th century. Candlelight, dark wood...and did I mention the food was great too? On rue Lanneau.

More later...
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Bettyo70,

We ate at Le Coupe Chou in May, and I was going to write about how much we enjoyed it, also (if I ever get my mini report written!)! I'm surprised it isn't spoken of more often here. We had planned to go to Brasserie de l'Ile our last night in Paris but decided at last minute we didn't want to go the Alsatian route, and I started thinking about where else to go. Called Fontaine de Mars (I had been there in '04, and whereas I thought it was nice, I wouldn't rave about it the way some folks do), but they were filled until very late--9:45, so decided to try LCC for 8:30. We got reserv., and I was so happy that we did; our meals were wonderful, and you describe the ambiance well! Did you by any chance have the Poele Aubergine for an entree? Delicious!

I can identify with your what-I-call sensory overload at Galeries Lafayette, but we did persevere for several hours!

Your trips sounds like a very good time! And you're probably fortunate that you were rained out of your Normandy trip; we were there 4.5 days, and it wasn't nearly enough. It was enjoyable but felt like hit and run.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Thanks, Betty! Just printed out the information on Le Coupe Chou to take with me.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi, mermaid!

Believe me...I wanted to go overboard with the shopping, but the weak dollar definitely disciplined me a bit.

Some of my Greatest Hits (shopping):

1) Bought a stunning leather handbag from KESSLORD in the Marais; this baby would have easily cost two to three times more in NYC what I paid for it(110 euros) -- have already gotten the &quot;oohs&quot; and &quot;ahhs&quot; from co-workers;

2) MELLOW YELLOW: a Marais shoe store with trendy and feminine styles; great for teens and up. Very reasonable prices;

3)CREA CONCEPT: Unique, feminine designs -- again, in the Marais. If you like clothing with unusual silhouettes, this is your place. Found a gorgeous pale-pink sweater-blouse for my mother here. I found the prices to be very reasonable.

4) VANESSA BRUNO: Not in the Marais, but there are a number of her boutiques all over Paris. (I think we were at the one in the 6th arrondissement.) Gorgeous dresses, shoes and lingerie for chic women. Had I been in Splurge Mode, I could have done a lot of damage here. But I decided to save this place for my next Paris trip (once the dollar starts kicking some major butt again...).

5) A small boutique in the Marais run by a lovely Japanese woman -- the name of the boutique escapes me now. (Will dig through my receipts to find the place.) Very pretty knitwear.

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Grandmere, our menu at Le Coupe Chou consisted of:

canard aux peches (duck with peaches), steak w/ pepper sauce, lamb, aubergine (eggplant) appetizer, escargots, cheese plate

The steak was excellent and tender, the duck very good, and the eggplant super-fresh.

Did not have the aubergines...next time?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Certainly a good reason to return; a la prochaine!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and the name of the Japanese-inspired clothing boutique in the Marais is TRAZITA.

Sorry for this stream-of-conscious reporting...time to go to bed!

Cheers to all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -