Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zurich hotel within walking distance to all?

Old May 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have never bee to Zurich, and, for complicated flight scheduling reasons, will find ourselves having to be there for two nights. None of our friends have spent time there either, so it is the Unknown to us.

We are a foodie family (40's, one foodie nine year old). What is the best located hotel for walking that we could conceivably get into on 3 weeks' notice? While money is not a consideration, and comfort is important, we are not formal, stuffy people.

We actually look at this as an opportunity to briefly explore a cool city. Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:50 AM

a couple years ago we stayed at the marriott on the edge of the old town area- everything was walkable.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Hello san:

Take a look at the Bauer Au-Lac. A lot pricy but great location for walking purposes. Gradyghost
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Hi sangrail,

Here's a link to a post with quite a lot of information on Zurich, including hotels & restaurants: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34600403

Here's another hotel I've heard recommended often: http://www.florhof.ch/framesete/frameset.htm

You can find more if you do a text search for "Zurich" here, and especially look for posts from Cicerone.

Zurich is pretty small, and you can walk just about anywhere in the central area. If you go beyond that, just take the tram.

s
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Baur au lac is awesome, the best service and bedding in Europe, check out the Widder also, both at LHW.COM, great city, very classy and sophisticated, great old town area, walk to everything, the food is great, all kinds from traditional german/swis/italian, great town.
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Just these few posts will give me a great starting point.
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:36 AM

I live in Zurich and as mentioned above, post quite a lot on the city which I think is one the nicest cities in Europe. The "city" is extremely small and the main tourist areas are quite walkable, so virtually any hotel in the main tourist areas will give you access to it all.

Before making reccos,what is your price range for hotels, and what type of food are you looking for? Zurich is quite expensive for hotels, even a basic 3 star could run several hundred dollars a night. Finally, is airconditioning in a hotel very important to you? (This is normally not needed, although we have had a few hot summers and it is 95 F today). This would affect my reccos as well.