Make sure not to forget...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaviing on our trip in about 1 1/2 weeks. It is so hard to believe that it is almost here. I am trying to think of some major things that we can't forget before the trip regarding documentation. Am I forgetting anything?

1. Passports- we have the originals and copies for ourselves and a family member.
2. Check cards- we already have a seperate checking account and debit cards.
3. Credit CArd- the company knows that we will have out of the country charges.
4. Expedia airline itinerary- An extra copy for us and 1 for family.
5. A copy of all of our flights, hotels, and phone numbers for family.
6. Copies of confirmations for our hotels.
7. Driver's licenses

Anything else??
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Hi ilovetulips, have you written down the contact phone #'s of your credit card companies and also your ATM just in case you did need to call them from Europe? Also, did you advice your bank (ATM/debit card(s) that you will be out of the country also. That is good to do.

Do not know how long you will be gone. Any newspapers that need to be stopped? How about mail? Will someone collect it for you? If there was a problem at your house does a neighbor know how to contact your family member? Also I always leave an extra set of car keys with family, just in case (in case of what not exactly sure but I do that)

I hate the last week - my mind is always going through the list too - over and over. Don't forget to eat properly and get enough rest before you leave. And most importantly, have a fun and beautiful vacation!
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Put an extra copy of your itinerary inside each of your pieces of luggage - checked or not. In case the name tag comes off they will still know who - and where - you are.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Have you purchased any tickets in advance (theatre, tours, transpportation, etc...)? If so, keep them with your passport so you won't forget them.

Don't forget to stop your mail and newspapers, water the plants and have a great trip.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I always register my trip with the state dept. That way, they have me on a "list" if there is a terrorist threat in any city while I will be there. Yes, family and friends could find me--but I would much rather be on the first list the American embassy has if they're looking for citizens to shelter or evacuate.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM

"Put an extra copy of your itinerary inside each of your pieces of luggage - checked or not"

...but not the copies of your passports or other personal information, especially if your luggage is being checked.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Don't forget your maps and trip notes (in either paper or electronic form)

Do you need to arrange transportation from home to the airport?

Have a wonderful time and be sure to post a report when you get back!
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:59 PM

scan copy of passport to web email account you can access in case of need.
much easier to get it printed yourself than have to contact poeple and ask for fax.

Old May 13th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Turn off the water at the meter!
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM

power converter(s) are a good thing to have along - the outlets in the bathrooms are often set up just for razors so if you're using a curling iron or hair dryer with converter, it will just turn off...use an outlet in the main hotel room. contact your credit card company(s) to let them know that charges may appear from certain countries; also - some ATM's in europe don't offer the option to withdraw from either checking or savings and just default to checking, so make sure you have $$ in the old checking account or an easy way to transfer funds if necessary. Have the name and address of your hotel handy to give a cab driver at the airport or elsewhere. Its easier to let them see the address and take off. Don't assume they know where it is by name - same with folks at the metro stations, etc. Buy any guidebooks here - easier to find and a better variety.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Set up timed lighting at your house.
Empty refrigerator
Take out garbage and clear disposal. Store valuables in a safe place.
Make sure answering machine is working properly.
Charge any batteries you may need on the trip.
Call airline and reconfirm flights.
Pay bills up-to-date.
Lock all windows and doors.
Leave for the airport 30 minutes before you really think you need to.
Relax, and get a good nights sleep.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:42 PM
aggiemom

Patience and a sense of humor - you may need a lot of both!

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies! WE will make sure we have the numbers written down for the credit cards and also call our bank so that they know we will be making foreign purchases. I will refer to the many tips before our trip.
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Hi ilovetulips, you asked for suggestions and boy did we give them to you, LOL. I bet you are ready to beat your head against the wall .

But all good suggestions.

What I do about a week before my trip is I take a legal pad and write all this stuff down. Then check it off as it is taken care of. Even though I do not like clutter around this is one time I leave this pad out where I can not miss seeing it.

Also, the night before the trip I have the suitcase by the front door, along with my carryon and my purse (unless I have the purse in my luggage and only have the carryone bag for the plane).
Everything is ready to go!!! I check and doublecheck. And then I do not open the suitcase, the carryon again. I find this works the best for me. I have my clothes laid out for the flight. And since I have duplicates of toilitries in my carryon I do not have to worry the day of the flight about remembering to put the hair brush in the carryon etc.

Do have a wonderful trip, and don't drive yourself crazy the last week as most of us do.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:31 PM

2 things that are great to pack for Italy: 3 of those teeny tiny flashlights that fit on your keyring (great for finding the bathroom at night without waking hubby)...And your favorite brand of lady's necessary supplies...In Italy they don't have the same brands or styles and I have my definite preferences!
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:56 AM

And most importantly don't forget a good bottle of scotch in case you get hungup
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:31 AM

just to elaborate on cmeyer54
comment. Credit card companies are always on the lookout for unusual spending behaviour on credit cards. Therefore as cmeyer54 rightly said you should always notify them that you will be using the card in ****** countries. They will then make a note on your account then hopefully you won't get your card blocked whilst your away.

My personal recomendation is to remember..T.C.P.
Tickets, Credit card, passport.
As long as you have these 3 things forgetting the rest will be dreadful but worse case just an inconvenience.
Enjoy
Muck
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Put your itinerary and any important telephone numbers on an email to your own web email account. I send a copy of my flight confirmations etc. there as well.

And something else; the VERY VERY BEST plasters for blisters are those by a brand named Compeed; you can just continue walking all day with blisters, and don't even notice them. I won't leave home without them now!
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:08 AM

copy down your credit card #'s to go along with the credit card phone # you have. Keep this info in a separate, safe place. This way, if they get lost or stolen you have the account number. Color me crazy, but I even encrypt the numbers when I write them down with my own little system. (once you do this and get used to it, it is very easy to decode them almost instantly).

Don't forget film and a little notebook to turn into a mini travel diary. (believe me, it's easy to forget the spelling or exact name of something you may want to journal into your album/scrapbook later!)

Have fun!!!
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:50 AM

Hi ilovetulips: I always make a list of the contents in my suitcase. This came in handy this pas Feb. when my luggage got lost between Spain and Toronto. At the AF counter they asked me if I could provide them ith a list if needed. Got the luggage back 2 days later. Nothing missing.
Have a wonderful trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -