Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to wear in Paris and not look like a tourist?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I leave this Friday for a 9-day visit to Paris, and I'd like us to appear as little like American tourists as possible, while also being comfortable. My mom is 65 and I am 40. It's probably not realistic to think that we'd totally blend in with the Parisians, but I would like to avoid sticking out too much. We're staying in the Marais and will be doing lots of walking and exploring.

All suggestions are welcome.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM

No bathing suits. No clown shoes. No T-shirts saying "I'm with stupid" or anything else. No Houston Astros baseball caps. No dayglow orange hot pants.

Anything leather is fine, especially black or red leather with chains and stuff.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Would you rather look like European tourists? sorry, just kidding. Parisians don't all "blend" either, even if that is the republican ideal! Wear black and avoid tennis shoes.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Dress comfortably, especially shoes. Everyone will know you are a tourist anyway.

Avoid, if possible,
- big white sports shoes
- butt pack/ fanny bag, whatever you know it as
- tee-shirts with any writing on them
- camera hanging around your neck
- talking loudly

Use the "polite phrases" before you break into English (Bonjour, Madame.... Merci, Monsieur....Parlez-vous anglais, s'il vous plait?...)

Be patient, appreciative and remember they don't do things like we do back home. Oh, and don't handle the merchandise.

You'll be fine.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Do be proud to be a tourist ! A real one!We'll probably know you're a foreigner , anyway , but:
1)we're used to it!
2)we do like the fact that people come over and visit our country!
3)always smile and try a few words even if your French is phonetic , the whole world likes that kind of attitude!
4)please do hold doors when you come in a store (so many tourists don't!)
5)Red lipstick , "un p'tit noir"(that's an expresso) and a croissant , that'll do!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Yes, comfortable black shoes. And great advice Sophie! I agree, it's a plus, not a minus, to be an American in Paris. Just be polite and open, and enjoy!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Wear shorts and sandals..make sure you wear SOCKS with the sandals so they'll think you're from Germany and overcharge you even more.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Hi-
I understand your desire to blend in. I'm going on Friday and here's what I'll be bringing (I'm 36).
Pants: 1 Black, 1 Grey and 1 pair Jeans. The pants are nice trousers, with a bit of stretch so they don't wrinkle.
Sweaters; Black cashmere turtleneck and burgundy cashmere v-neck. Cashmere is very warm but packs light. I might also bring a little cardigan.
Shirts; a couple of "blouses" that don't wrinkle to go with the pants, and some plain t-shirts to wear under sweaters.
Shoes; one pair black ankle boots with 2 inch stacked heel (works well with all pants and dresses up jeans). One pair of Cole Hahn black leather slip-on, very comfortable, but nice looking.
I'm debating the jacket right now; black leather or a hip-length waterproof trench in light lime green (very chic).
I'll also bring assorted scarves and pashminas.
Hope this helps!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Think Manhattan. Both cities are epi-centers for fashion.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM

French women wear scarves with everything. I take a few with me. They also wear and walk, long distances, in high heeled pointy shoes (young and old alike). This is not a possibility for me so I wear Clarks loafers with my slacks. Yhe younger generation dresses much like they do here, but the rest dress more conservatively. Avoid back packs and fanny packs. Wear your purse across your body and keep it in the front at all times. Even while you eat. Surprisingly I've noticed that the french women don't wear much makeup and let their hair go more natural.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The New York Times section today, has an articl how ANYTHING goes but one woman said in Paris you can wear anything, no one cares or stares but in New York, she would not wearsome of her
duds there. Boho deluxe is the big thing now. I've always liked exotic clothing like Chineese jackets so this year my ancient stuff is in.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I am never embarrased to be a tourist. What's wrong with being a tourist? Last time I was in London a cab driver actually told us that he was glad we were there. I dress conservatively, a lot of black because it's easy to wear and does not show soil as easily-skirts and slacks, sweaters and other knits, scarves-comfortable boots and shoes. I am courteous to all I meet, don't yell or shout..not really any different than I behave at home. I think that the "natives" should be glad, under these circumstances, that I have been willing to endure the plane ride from hell in the "cattle section" of an airplane and saved every dime that I possibly could for a couple of years, so that I could visit their country in person, spend all that hard saved money in their country, so that I could learn something of their ways and culture and see some of the sites for myself rather than just watching Rick Steves. When I go to San Francisco particularly, there are a lot of tourists from many countries all over the place, and I am delighted that they want to come and see our beautiful country.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Blend? Just don't say anything.

Except that grunting and pointing will give you away anyhow.

My wife cannot blend and she usually dresses nicely in dark colors. As soon as she walks up, store clerks, etc. speak English if he or she knows any.
She just looks too Irish to get the job done. The only places she blends in easily are Dublin, Sligo, Ennis, Waterford, and Tralee, as long as she does not say anything.

To show you how we don't blend, despite conservative dress, we were identified as Americans while walking out of the Vavin Metro station.

As we walked by, the ticket agent hailed us from inside his booth. An American had left her passport and he wanted to know if she was staying at our hotel, which was a few yards away.
(I asked; she wasn't. The same agent told us later that day that the passport had been retrieved. So much for the sterotype that French are rude.)

Both of us were dressed conservatively. Yet, we radiated "American" to the extent that the agent was quite confident that we understood English.

So I have no idea how blending in is done.

I might blend in during the winter in a French hat, a French long coat, with the hat pulled down over my eyes. Otherwise, I haven't a prayer.

I even radiate American in Wales!!
Soon as I came in the pub, I was greeted with "Which state are you from?"
I had yet to say anything.

So I don't try; no use, it doesn't work.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM

I wonder if not walking around in a baseballl cap, tennis shoes and a fanny pack might make you less of a target for pickpockets. I like to think so anyway.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:31 PM
cmt

What would you like to look like instead of tourists?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Just leave your 10 gallon hat, cowboy boots, and big belt buckle at home.

Unless you are an elitist, Parisians wear sneakers, jeans, and just about anything else. We were there 2 years ago, and I saw just about one of everything and never batted an eye.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Think Manhattan?????? Not in Paris. (I worked in the fashion business in Manhattan for a few years.) People dress differently in Paris than they do in Manhattan. My good friend, Christina, is an editor at a Paris fashion mag. She reports that "thrift store chic" is the rage in Paris at the moment, typified by the clothing worn by the French actress Lou Doillon. This means scuffed cowboy boots worn with a mini, a man's tailored jacket, and a fedora. Washed leather purses, giant sweaters, and wool scarves a mile long, are also in vogue. The trend is not to be too perfect, to look as though you have thrown the clothes together at the last moment to run to the grocer's for a quart of milk and some condoms.

After having written all of this, I have to also write that if you don't have the elan to pull it off, this look is not for you. Play it safe with dark colors with a hint of fuschia, mint green, or lavander. (A long black coat with a lavander pashmina scarf would look really hot on a chilly March day.)
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
John, you got it right. If a look is not your style do not buy it. Wear what is you that makes you comfortable. Put pizzaz in your outfit by jewelry and scarves. An Example was Nikki who came to our GTG. She wore black but had a wonderful scarf that looked exotic that she bought at a paris market and it matched in colors and exoticism as her bbag that a friend made for her.
That made me feel better wearing my exotic dries coat in an otherwise conservative but beautifully dressed group. What I'm saying is be yourself, right or wrong in others eyes, I bet you'll have the most fun.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM

i am tourist there and they are a tourist here. living in socal, i see tourists everyday...i wish i were them...walking around and doing nothing in my own backyard.

but as it has it, i actually some how blend in france and italy...common features. but as you'll find out, your features alone will make you stick out like a sore thumb. and on top of it, when you go to the louvre it's a dead give away...that and staring at the eiffel tower.

go, eat of their food, and enjoy...9 days...i'm jealous
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM
lyb

Well, first of all make sure that you are not out and about during the day visiting. Real Parisians are working during the day, so perhaps a suit and pumps. Also, make sure you speak perfect fluent french and don't stay in a hotel.

Oh, please! You won't blend in, you are a tourist!!! Last time I checked being a tourist wasn't a crime in any city!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -