Villa Rosa or Miramare in Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time we were in Positano we stayed at Villa Franca and loved it but this time we're going back with our two kids ages 9 and 12 and Villa Franca is just too expensive for two rooms and they don't have any Quads. So, we have been offered a Suite at Villa Rosa with full sea view on the 3rd floor for E260 per night and also have been offered room 201 at the Miramare for E350 per night. Both rooms can sleep 4. I've heard great things about both these properties but I do realize Villa Rosa is a more modest hotel than the Miramare. Is it worth it to pay almost E100 more for the Miramare?
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:35 AM

We loved the Villa Rosa, and it was nice enough that I would not spend the extra $$ for another property; I found it to be charming, bright, open, airy, friendly, etc. It did not have the feel or look of a spare, bare bones budget hotel. The view from the private terrace was spectacular; the VR is right across the street (on the high side) from the luxurious Sirenuse. Being higher, the VR view is even better than that of the Sirenuse.

Being 100 more a night, the Miramare must have something more to offer; I'm sure others will tell you of that. Only you can decide if it's "worth it."

Enjoy Positano!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:19 AM
awbaker

I was making the same decision last year! I ended up staying at the Miramare -- room 203. It was great! Wonderful staff and fantastic views! BUT, I think you might be better off at V.R. only because of the stairs situation at the Miramare -- I think your kids would get annoyed with them. Villa Rosa is further from the beach, but (as you know from your last trip) the road is easy to walk up and down. The stairs to the Miramare were pretty tiring, and there is no bypassing them.

The suite at V.R. is on their top floor, so you will have a fantastic view AND I think there is only one other room on that floor, so it should be more quiet. I would be inclined to stay there & save the money for a private boat tour!!

Also, I thought the only large rooms/suites at the Miramare were room 210 AND 209. I could be wrong, though.

Have you considered an apartment as well?

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great input. It's good to hear that the Suite at Villa Rosa is on the top floor. We did consider an apartment but we're only going to be there for 3 nights and I have to admit that I do like the 'services' of a hotel such as being brought breakfast to your terrace and not having to make beds! I'm inclined to save the money and stay at the Villa Rosa. Thanks again
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:11 AM
awbaker

Maggy -- I just reread your initial post... Now, I'm not sure if the suite they offered to you is on the top floor, because I thought they had 4 floors. You might want to email them to ask. Ask them if they have a suite available on the top floor.

Also, their sister hotel -- Villa La Tartana -- is closer to the beach -- this would be nice for the kids. I remember reading someone's post here about the suite there, and it sounded nice. Oh, I found it! http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1367120

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Please know that you gotta walk up a lot of steps to VR, also!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I hope that I am not too late. We just returned from Positano last week. We spent three nights in the family flat, room 39. It has two bedrooms and two baths. The large bedroom has a king bed (two twins pushed together)and fantastic view! The hotel is cheerfully decorated and very clean. I loved the hotel and my kids (14 and 8) liked it, too. Their only complaint was the one little TV (but that's not why we visted Italy). They liked ordering hot chocolate from room service every day.

There are also 100 stairs to the hotel room, so you can easily justify gelato. It's a family run hotel and it shows in the staff. They were very friendly and helpful.

Regarding the trip, my kids loved taking the chairlift to Mount Solaro in Capri.

Your kids are younger than mine. We were very hesitant, but they were happy to stay home one night. My husband and had dinner directly across the street at Le Sirenuse --- Sponda. It was magical and worth the splurge.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:38 AM

We have a reservation at the Villa Rosa in May. We requested 2 double rooms and hoped to get a sea view, but were only able to get one with a partial sea view and one with no sea view. Those of you that have stayed here previously, is it worth upgrading to another room that has a sea view?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Tilburg,

I just came back from Italy and we ended up staying at Villa Rosa, in the Suite on the 3rd floor, room #37. It was spectacular. We must have just missed you...we were there from March 28th through March 31st. We found the location of Villa Rosa perfect, especially with our 9 and 12 year olds. Everything was right at your doorstep, yet you still had the beautiful sea view. The Suite is one huge room with a curtain dividing the two sections. The children slept in pull out sofa/beds set up in the living area. We pulled the curtains at night and it gave us the privacy we wanted. The balcony was smaller than the large terraces I saw in other rooms but we were fine with this since it wasn't summertime and it was actually a bit chilly in the evening. We originally chose not to stay in the apartment you stayed in because I was under the impression that it had no view. I realize now it had a view and since it was less expensive than the Suite, it would have been a good choice, perhaps. The other great thing, though, about the Suite is the bathroom was HUGE. It had a huge jacuzzi tub plus a separate shower. After walking all day, we really did get some use out of the jacuzzi...the kids loved it as well. It seems this Suite is probably used as their romantic 'honeymoon' Suite I guess. Our kids also loved ordering hot chocolate in the morning. By the way, we had dinner, twice, at DaVicenzo, and absolutely loved this placed. The owners are the nicest family and waited on us like family...excellent food and great atmosphere.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Neetse,

Regarding your question about upgrading to a sea view...I think in Positano it is worth upgrading for that sea view. In other cities where you are sightseeing all day long and come back just to sleep it might not be so important but in Positano it's nice to relax on your balcony, drink wine or coffee or whatever and stare out at the beautiful sea. Since Villa Rosa doesn't have a restaurant or bar where you can do this, you are limited to your room for lounging. My opinion is upgrade for that sea view.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:21 AM
awbaker

Welcome back, Maggy! I'm glad the V.R. suite worked out so well for your family. We also ate twice at Da Vicenza -- isn't it great?! The food was very good and the staff was a lot of fun!

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Maggy,
How funny! We were there the same nights. Without a breakfast room, you don't get to see other families. I don't know if you were next to us or the room under us. I looked over my balcony one day, and I saw a young boy.
On March 31st, we left for Rome. Happy Travels!
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

My vacation to Italy has long been over but I'm at work having that post-italian vacation blues. So, I'm doing the next best thing to traveling....reading about traveling! Tilburg, I see that you were at Villa Rosa the same days as us! We also left on the 31st of March and took the train to Rome. We stayed at the InterContinental De La Ville in Rome, where did you stay? It was incredible to be in Rome when the Pope died...we were in the Square when they announced his death. What a historical time to be in Rome.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:20 AM
J30

Both hotels have steps!
However I suggest you Villa Rosa, situated on the main road, very close to the local bus stop, shops, restaurants and only five minute's walk from the bus stop to Amalfi or Sorrento.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Dear Tilburg-or anyone that has stayed at the VR family flat-, I hope that you are still out there. I am curious about your experience with the "family" flat at Villa Rosa. You mentioned there was a king bed in one room... what is the bed situation in the other room? There is a view from one of the rooms I understand, is there also a terrace of some sort?Thanks!