Back from London (on the cheap!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in London on 16-18 December - and the exchange rate against the Euro isn't much better than that against the dollar. Doing things on the cheap we stayed in the LSE student accommodation Roseberry Hall in Islington (opposite Sadler's Wells Theatre) - £58 per room (with bathroom) per night - which included a full cooked breakfast in the canteen (http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations/). Rooms were basic student accommodation (no TV but cooking facilities available should you need them) but spotless - would definitely stay there again. Being Arsenal fans we're familiar with Islington and like it for the "villagey" atmosphere and nice bars and restaurants. Used Time Out's "Cheap Eats in London" as a restaurant guide which was very useful - new discovery on this trip was the Masala Zone restaurants - very tasty curries and exceptional value. Went to see Parts 1 & 2 of "His Dark Materials" in the National - cleverly staged and hugely enjoyable - and bought a few bits and bobs in Liberty and Camden Market. I've never been to London in December before but really enjoyed it, although battling through the shoppers can be a bit of an ordeal - we just didn't bother with Fortnum's when we saw the crowds there. Had a wonderful time - it was a terrific way to get into the Christmas spirit.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Nice to hear about the LSE area. It's been a very long while but I used to visit my good university buddy during his post-grad days at LSE. I can't recall exactly, but I might even have spent a night at the same place where you did.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:32 AM

I'm going to London tomorrow. Did the 58 pounds include tax? How many people could stay in the room? Fianlly, it probably sounds stupid, but do you need to be a student and/or is there an age limit. Thanks for the info. I'm trying keep the cost down this trip.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM

I'm always glad to hear that other people have had a good experience with these kinds of lodgings, as I've always liked them and frequently recommend them. (See my other recommendations at http://victorianresearch.org/trip.html#stay)
In case ter2000 doesn't see Alice's question, I'll note that the rate he mentions is for two people, en-suite (toilet included), and includes tax (VAT). There is no age limit -- in the last few years, universities have seriously got involved in the business of renting out their dorms during school vacations to anyone, regardless of age. Note, though, that the last day these particular rooms are available is January 8. All this can be found on the LSE website he mentions.

Cuttle
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Just to follow up on Cuttle's message - there is no age limit for these rooms and you don't have to be a student, but they are only available outside term-time - so they're a good option for the summer or for anyone planning an Easter break this year. Some rooms have bathrooms and some don't (ours did) - and prices vary as to a single, double or triple room with or without a bathroom. All the details are on the website that I mentioned -www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations/. Don't go there expecting luxury - but they are perfectly clean and very safe - and a welcome break from the expense of everything else in London.